“Lovely hotel with good service and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Eslington Villa

Eslington Villa
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Stornoway, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with good service and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

A lovely venue for a romantic escape, I would have thought, or a business meeting weekend, which is why we were there. The rooms are beautifully furnished and appointed. The only slight problem was the wifi did not seem to reach my room, but was fine downstairs. The food for breakfast and dinner was excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
lindisfarne33, Owner at Eslington Villa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for posting your kind comments. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay, as your visit on this occasion was on business with a number of colleagues we hope they enjoyed the experience as well. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

A little gem, tucked away just overlooking Team Valley, conveniently located for Newcastle, Sunderland or Durham or heading west out towards Hexham.
Comfortable, well equipped rooms, which were named not numbered. This is definitely not a chain hotel but a quirky independant one. Rates were very reasonable and food was excellent - staff very friendly and accommodating - highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank R W
lindisfarne33, Owner at Eslington Villa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
So pleased you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for such a fantastic review. All of the names of rooms are trees, most of which are in the gardens of The Eslington.
Hope to see you soon.
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have had a great three day stay, staff where great and very friendly, the place is full of character, the food is great and the place is very clean, the bar is also reasonably priced. Try the apartment that’s very good.

Its also great reception location for weddings and the staff seem competent and well versed in dealing with it, as well as great photo opportunities in the well maintained gardens.

Well situated for local attractions and there are some great places to eat out very close by, but the hotels restaurant is outstanding and its well worth a try with an early bird option.

I honestly cant fault the place and it punches well above it weight (AA 3 star)

Defiantly on the cards for a return visit.

Room Tip: try the apartment, but you do need to climb some steep stairs to get to it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Yes you have to be fit to climb the stairs to the apartment but I'm sure you will agree worth the effort. It's great to get such great feedback, I'll pass your comments on to all the staff here and see you on your next visit.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am relocating to Newcastle for work and have yet to find a flat, so have been staying at the Eslington in the interim.

There were a number of experiences that led to the top score being given despite this hotel not being perfect. These included the following :

1. Arriving way before checking in time and being given my room
2. Lots of help with maps and directions etc
3. Really friendly and helpful welcome (with specific reference to Julie - thank you !!) especially when I was all over the place from an early start. Thank you for the loan of a phone charger, saving me the expense and the walk into town.
4. Being able to eat in my room, picking from any of the menus and at no extra charge or with any faffy rules
5. Nice breakfast although the kippers were not available first week, they were second week and I can recommend them !
6. Really nice dinner menu with an Earlybird offer to boot.

My only criticism is saved for the lady who shows the couples around who are considering having their wedding do there - it really is rude to stand over someone who is having their dinner discussing what the garden looks like (and I mean whilst they stand right next to my table and look out over it). But then nothing could ruin the excellnt beef cheeks in onion jus although it got close.....

So overall, thank you Eslington Villas for a lovely stay, you were good in all the right places for me and I like the more comfortable/relaxed/shabby chic environment that ensured my stay was relaxed (I could have my brekkie without my shoes on) yet I could still get some really decent food. So not perfect but in the right way.

The staff I came across were lovely and friendly and could not have done more for me. When 300 miles from home and taken ill right in the middle of my trip, it was much appreciated.

Room Tip: I always take ear plugs - this is an old building and it has its own noises so the ear plugs were us...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a positive review, it really is appreciated . We look forward to seeing you again some time in the near future.
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just had time for one night here - just as good as when we last visited a year ago. A warm welcome, ample parking and everywhere is spotlessly clean. A little disappointed at a back view room but we did book last minute - will try for the front view next time overlooking the beautiful gardens. The room was a little hot, we're guessing from the underfloor bathroom heating, but we left the window open for much of the time to stay cool. The bed was very comfortable.
The breakfasts are fantastic and checkout was very straightforward. A short taxi ride to the city centre. We will return.

Room Tip: Do try for a garden facing room on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank isthma
Really pleased you enjoyed your stay again, goes to show the previous visit was not a fluke ! Yes, you have to book early to guarantee one of the rooms with a garden view, see you again soon i hope.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is a real gem. Great building with fantastic gardens. We stayed in a superior room that had a fantastic veiw overlooking the gardens. The bedroom was large and spotless, as was the bathroom, although the bath was badly stained (but clean). The staff were really helpful, friendly and efficient. My wife and I have stayed in Gatehead on this weekend for the past 6 years for the Great North Run and intend to keep this going for quite a few more years. This is the 1st time that we have stayed in this hotel but it will definitely be our 1st choice for our future visits. Just one negative, we had made our booking online and had paid a sizeable deposit. This had not been deducted from our final bill when we checked out but fortunately my wife spotted it before paying. Good tip...wherever you are staying always check your bill ! !

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your kind comments and really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Apologies again for the confusion with the deposit not being deducted however it would have been noticed and credited very quickly even if you had not mentioned it. We look forward to seeing you again next year for the Great North Run .
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have just returned to Kent after celebrating our son's wedding reception at Eslington Villa on Saturday. Without exception everyone who came to the wedding agrees that we could not have been more warmly welcomed and better cared for from start to finish. We echo other reviews that 'nothing was too much trouble', whether it was Melanie checking the preferred consistency of food liquidised specially for one of the children, or her mastering the challenge of fixing securely the wedding corsage on the rather slippery material of my jacket before we left for the church. The staff could not have been more attentive, seeming genuinely to share our excitement and joy. The food was exceptional. How the chef managed to produce so many perfect cheese souffles all at once for starter I'll never know. Thank you to everyone at EV.

Room Tip: We loved being in a room overlooking the garden; secluded, green and beautiful in the summer months...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Christine L
So pleased everything went well for your son's big day. We know for most people it is one of the biggest days of their lives and like to think that this shows in the attitude of both the management and staff.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
#3 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,087 reviews
Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Premier Inn Newcastle - Team Valley

Been to Eslington Villa? Share your experiences!