“the quality, cleanliness and the friendliness of this hotel was outstanding!”
Review of Angel View Inn

Angel View Inn
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“the quality, cleanliness and the friendliness of this hotel was outstanding!”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

staying at this hotel made my recent birthday a memoriable one. the management and staff couldnt do enough to make sure that the food i had ordered met my needs as i have alot of food allergies. when the food arrived it was of a high quality and it tasted fabulous. The bedroom was of a high standard, very comfortable. it overlooked the Angel. The staff were attentive, but not overly so, they were very professional at all times. breakfast was another high quality meal and met my allergy needs, the chef made sure there would be something suitable for me to eat.
thank you to the manager and all the sfatt for a wonderful stay. i will definitely be recommending this hotel to all my friends and family. i would definitely reccoment this resturant for a meal if you suffer from food allergies/intolerences like myself.
best wishes, Lesley and Harry Weatherhead

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We had our wedding reception at the Angel in September 2010 and we couldn't have been happier.

Our wedding planner Maureen was helpful, friendly and professional from start to finish and we felt we trusted her completely with our big day. Nothing was too much trouble for her.

The honeymoon suite was perfect and there was plenty of room for me and my bridesmaids, hairdresser and aunt to all get ready in.

The food was great, service excellent and we didnt have one complaint to make. In particular all of the staff were so helpful and pleasant.

A great venue and great value for money.

We couldn't recemmond the Angel enough for a stay over or to hold your wedding!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 4, 2010

We stayed as a reception we were attending was being held here.

Room was very inexpensive, particularly as we were sharing with our son so weren't expecting much. However room and bathroom was spacious, we were in Room 9, so anyone who is staying with one child would find this a good choice. We have paid a lot more for inferior and smaller rooms.

We ate at the bar, food reasonable and big portions, our son loved his pasta. Some of the dishes are quite ambitious and you might be better sticking to tried and tested favourites as I thought my monkfish was a bit underdone. Hubby was happy as he is a real ale fan and they have a microbrewery so he enjoyed the beer.

The function we attended was quite noisy and it could be heard in our room, not a problem for me as I use ear plugs, but if you are staying at the weekend you may want to check if there is anything on.

Breakfast was good, although they had run out of tomato sauce which I found hard to credit and also were proudly displaying the empty Spar orange concentrate cartons that the oj had come from, so perhaps a few little touches need to be sorted out.

Staff friendly and helpful.

Overall good value for money and if you have a reason to be here then it is a pleasant enough place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
London
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I stayed a few nights at this hotel recently after booking on Laterooms.

I had looked at a number of hotels in the area but the location of this one, just next to the A1 in gateshead was ideal for the business appointemnts i had locally.

On arriving i noticed a great deal of car parking (all free might i add!) and although close to a busy road, was quiet and set in a nice rural location opposite the the huge agel statue.

So i went into the hotel, bags in tow, to the hotel reception where i was greeted by a lovely young lady. I was checked in with little fuss. I had booked a standard room, and was given (which i found out later) was one of the newly refurbished rooms. Very comfortable, clean and tidy and fitting with the style of the building (a lovely converted stable/farm building)

I went down for a drink at the bar - again newly refurbished - greeted by really helpful & friendly staff. Really good choice of food on the menu as well as a carvery and good range of drinks. Seemed to be a nice bunch of locals at the bar also, so really good for a single traveller. Every meal i had here was well madeb and enjoyable, including breakfast.

I feel like i could go on and on about the place. Basically I would definatley stay here again when i return to the area. I have read previous reviews and all i can say is that i didnt have a single problem or issue with the hotel. Its a nice small establishment, not the hilton but then i wouldnt want it to be. Perhaps others should give the place a second chance!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We chose this venue primarily on it's location so our clients could easily find it for our evening meeting. Which they all did.

The staff were polite and helpful from beginning to end and provided the perfect setting and service to compliment our event. Rather than opting for a buffet they were happy for us to send our guests to the carvery which proved to be an excellent idea as every one complimented to food. We'd eaten earlier and found it to be superb and served up by a witty chef.

The rooms were clean and spacious (if you're lucky enough to be in the superior rooms), but didn't have the 'granny's parlour' feel. They are however in the middle of redecorating the rooms so they'll be improved soon.

If we have business in the North East again I'll definately book this venue again. They're excellent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FrogDad
Alnwick
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel and had a couple of meals here and couldnt be more disapointed.
The rooms were basic and dirty - and upon reporting this to the reception she said it would be sorted - no appology - and it wasn't sorted - infact it wasnt even looked into!

The restaurant
Nice lil restaurant - shame about the staff! (bar two!!!)

We opted one day for the carvery and was served by a member of staff someone called helen. She didnt bother to tell us that the carvery wasnt ready for us to eat even tho it was clearly advertised what time it shud have started!!!!!
SO i had to return to the bar and ask why and what time it was due to open.... helens response was "not long and errr dunno sometimes the chefs take a bit longer than we think"
CLEARLY a brilliant response from a "manager"

I walked away from the bar very annoyed and spotted another manager who i asked the same question too hoping for a response..... He was extremely helpful - appologised prefusely about the delay and promised he'd go chase up the kitchen immediately - I was far happier with his reponse than that of Helens..... His name was Shaun I believe - an overall nice and helpful manager.

The carvery came out and it was okay - meat was a bit dry - not the best veg but reasonable.

Certainly not worth the price tho when tobys carvery along the road does it much cheaper!!!!

Shaun actually came over after we'd finished our meal and personally cleared our plates asking if our meal was okay etc a nice touch for a manager to do as all we seemed to get was dirty glares off this helen woman.

Our next meal was at a dinner time and there seemed to be a wedding on..... Shaun was in once again and bless him my partner noticed he was doing everything.
He was entertaining the children, making sure the staff knew what they were doing, helping bring out food as well as looking after the floor and the weddings guests.

What this helen was doing at the bar i do not know.... she was jus staring into space the maj of the time.

A guy who appeared to be the owner of the hotel came in this evening and he honestly looked as tho he didnt have a clue!!!!!!
Just walked around like a lost puppy!!!

ANother manager was in that night as well Jess I thnk shes called and she was doing a brilliant job - she actually even asked us if our meals were ok which was a nice touch.

I certainly wudnt really recommend this place to anyone as the hotel and food itself isnt worth the money and is defiantely not nice at all!

However the two staff jess and shaun i wud 100% say were absolutly brilliant and in my opinion wasted on this dingy hotel.

Whoever owns it oughta hope he doesnt loose these 2 staff members as from what we saw are the hotels only hope!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Herts
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a friends wedding, and were very disappointed. We had booked the hotel months in advance and were not told that it was being renovated at the time of our visit. On first appearance this hotel looked lovely in the bar and lobby area, however the rooms were terrible, all the pictures had been taken off the walls and the TV had been removed, on complaining about our room and requesting a TV the receptionist told us there weren’t enough and we could move to a twin room, we declined and were told that they would bring us a TV up. This never happened, when we asked why the next day the same receptionist looked at as though we were idiots. The bed covers were old rough dirty blankets, the carpets were stained and the furniture was old and dated. The hotel was fully booked but not staffed appropriately and we had to wait for over 40 minutes which was cold when it arrived, the tea was also cold and grey. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone it was terrible, and as for an Angel view we barely had a window!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Ravensworth Arms
Holiday Inn Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
#5 of 6 in Washington
Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead

Been to Angel View Inn? Share your experiences!