“Afternoon tea and hai”

Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Gateshead
“Afternoon tea and hai”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Newcastle Gateshead Marriot hotel yesterday for afternoon tea and a trip to the hairdressers the hotel is nice and clean all the staff are helpful and the afternoon tea was gorgeous Michelle who I want to gave a special mention to is nice polite helpful and very good I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a Harecourt afternoon tea or to stay there

Stayed February 2014
Metrocentre, General Manager at Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon with us, and trust to see you at the hotel soon.

Raoul Lemmerling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights on Feb. 2014. Hotel's staff are nice & helpful, but some things were not as they should be:
The breakfast: fresh food & nice selection of choices, however the cuttleries were dirty and it seems to be a constant problem as it repeated itself in these 2 days of our stay. In addition, the breakfast staff didn't seem to care for the buffet. they had 3 jars of milk over there but didn't mark them so we can know which jar is for which type of milk. Only after I asked they took out the signs from the drawer and posted them on the jars...
The rooms: this was the major problem in this hotel. While I booked a king size bed room, when i checked in it appeared that the hotel doesn't have any rooms with a king size bed at all! The house keeping manager, who was also the acting manager that evening told this to me herself. Surprisingly she thought all beds in the hotel are king size when they're actually queen size only (house keeping manager can't tell the difference between bed sizes??). Believe me, as a marriott platinum member I can easily recognize a king size and a queen size beds, and this hotel has only queen size.
I should have got a compensation about the type of bed not provided (as a platinum member), but luckily for them I didn't notice that on the reservation they guarantee only a double bed (despite the fact that the room type reserved was for a king size bed).
As a Marriott platinum member I was deeply disappointed... This is obviously a kind of a fraud!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elad G
Metrocentre, Director of Operations at Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel recently; I was very concerned to hear about the challenges you faced and it is important that I contact you to restore your faith in our hotel. I look forward to contacting you directly to resolve the issues you faced.

warm regards
Ajith Kuriakose
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

On arrival the staff are extremely helpful the concierge in particular who throughout our 2 night stay was never without a smile or friendly word. The rooms are clean and spacious although slightly dated which is the only minor criticism I have. I agree with other readers the gymnasium i used on three occasions is as good as any i have seen in a hotel. The bar is modern and a pleasent place to have a drink. The buffet breakfast was also very good a wide range of fresh fruit and youghurts together with good quaity cooked food. Great location for shopping and entertainment in The Metro Centre taxi into Newcastle for night out only £10 will be going back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments on the service you received at the hotel. We are glad to have been of service, and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed at Marriot Metro for 3 nights.Have just arrived home today.Lovely hotel,beautiful clean and very comfortable room.Beds have feather topper now and ample pillows.Breakfast choices are excellent and staff all really pleasant and service top notch.Fitness centre and pool are another added bonus.Enjoyed these facilities daily and overall well worth the cost.Brilliant location for Metro centre shopping and hotel includes free parking unlike their main competitors.Will be back again soon I hope.

Room Tip: I was in room 226 which was lovely and I could see Metro centre from window as it front facing.Could...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay, and taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

First rate hotel located within easy walking distance of the metro centre. The gym is one of the best I've seen in any hotel. Pity there was no jacuzzi. Staff exceedingly friendly and the breakfast was very good. I would highly recommend for any one visiting the metro centre.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Metrocentre, General Manager at Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your excellent review and feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the area and hotel in the near future

Middlesbrough
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed at the Marriott as a treat for my birthday on Saturday night, we arrived early and were given our room next to the lift on the fourth floor so as we wanted a quiet room with a king sized bed not two queen beds my wife asked if we could be moved further along the corridor no problems at all staff could not have been more accommodating. The new room was large, clean well appointed bathroom looked just the part happy days so unpacked and straight out into Newcastle on the bus which stops right outside the Hotel.
We returned and went down into the Fitness and recreation area where we both enjoyed a swim, sauna and steam room before returning to the room to get ready to go out into the Metro Centre for a meal and a few drinks, luckily I had a shower in the pool area my wife didn’t and when she tried to use our bath and shower found that unusually we only had hot water very hot water leaving her having to rinse her hair out in the sink as that was the only cold water we had, not ideal but not a big deal so on the way out asked reception to please mend or look at the fault this done we went out and had a smashing night returning later that night to our room. The next morning after a brilliant night’s sleep in a lovely comfy bed we got up and tried to get washed and showered again no cold water back down to reception on the way to breakfast told no maintenance working on the weekend but someone would have a look at the problem whist we were in breakfast, which was fantastic staff helpful, attentive didn’t rush us out, food was tasty warm good choice really enjoyed the whole experience. Unfortunately for my wife the repair didn’t last long enough to get a shower as the temperature went through the roof again so we went the rest of the day unwashed apart from a rinse in the sink which miraculously did have cold water !!!!.
We did tackle the receptionist again as we checked out who again were very apologetic but didn’t seem to get our unhappiness or how it had put a real downer on the weekend or offered any recompense. It was only because we spent the day in the Metro Centre that we later went back and tackled Reception again and we were offered 20% of our bill which we accepted graciously but that should have been a given really.
We had an enjoyable stay only spoilt by a lack of customer care and no maintenance on site also we would have rather been moved to a room that had working bathroom on Saturday night, next time I hope they have all the problems solved thanks Paul

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Metrocentre, Director of Operations at Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Marriott Hotel MetroCentre on your recent visit to Newcastle Gateshead, and taking the time ot review our hotel. Please accept my unreserved apologies for the challenges you faced, whilst at the hotel. May I request that you kindly contact me directly at the hotel on 0191 493 1233 or on ajith.kuriakose@marriotthotels.com, to enable me restore your faith in our hotel and the brand.

Ajith Kuriakose
Director of Operations
Laurencekirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a great hotel which fully deserves all of the excellent reviews. The rooms were clean and comfortable and unusually quiet for a large hotel. All of the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful including reception, bar and breakfast restaurant. You will get a great breakfast here with a good variety on offer. The hotel is located just near the Metro Centre so it is great for shopping. From the hotel it costs about £10 for a taxi into Central Newcastle And £ 2.50 for the train which is locales 15 mins walk from the hotel. I would have scored this hotel 4.5 stars but could not award 5 stars as when I went into the bar for a drink and asked for a cocktail, I was told they had no lime which I think is poor for a 4* hotel bar. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Metrocentre, General Manager at Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for chosing to stay at the Marriott MetroCentre Hotel on your recent trip to Newcastle Gateshead and taking the time to post a review on the site. Thank you for your wonderful comments on the hotel, staff and facilities. Kindly accept my apologies for the shortcoming in the bar; please rest assured that it is not indicative of the standards we strive to maintain at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Raoul Lemmerling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gateshead
Hilton Newcastle Gateshead
Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#33 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephenson Quarter
Crowne Plaza Newcastle - Stephen...
#7 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Me...
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre? Share your experiences!