“Value for money”
Review of Rivers Edge Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gateshead
Rivers Edge Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Gateshead B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the beginning of September. Our room had lovely views over the river Tyne.Stayed in a double room which actually had two double beds! The hotel seemed a little out of the way but booked because of the cheap price! Then just got a taxi to town (ringing from the hotels free 'taxi phone'), taxi only cost about £10. Had a sound nights sleep but did notice in the morning that the floor boards were a bit squeaky when people were walking around in the other rooms, which may keep you awake if you're a light sleeper! We had a great stay here!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rivers Edge Hotel

Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We went for Sunday lunch with the Facebook offer. Was very nice. Wish. I could fit more food in as I had to leave some tattie skins to fit my dinner and then couldn't fit pudding. Overall great location, lovely food. Defiantly recommend it

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank ddgg1122
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I wasn't expecting great things after reading all the mixed reviews for this hotel, but as we were only intending on staying one night I figured it was worth the risk.

The hotel is located in the midst of an industrial estate, a bit unusual. It is also a 30 minute treck if you want to walk along the river into the city. A taxi back to the hotel was tricky to find as most of the cabs didn't want to go out the far, so take this into account.

We checked in quite late in the day, there appeared to only be one member of staff manning both the reception and the bar. Not a huge concern, but the first indicator of 'thrifty' management. Having said that, he was very polite and very helpful.

Everything in the room was clean and tidy, yes it is all a bit careworn and could do with some maintenance, but for what we paid it was fine. I would say it is the same standard as a Travelodge.

I was concerned that on our return the key to our room was handed over by the cleaning staff who were in reception, without any hesitation. I would have preferred to take the key with me rather than handing it over. The addition of a huge wooden fish as a key fob was a curious choice too!!

If there is one thing that really needs replacing, then it would be the mattress. A good nights sleep was not had due to the thinness and springs sticking in us. But as I said at the beginning, we weren't expecting much for the price we paid.

What really annoyed me though was the fact that there was no hairdryer available in the entire hotel!!

We will be regular visitors to Newcastle, so I was hoping we would find a real gem of a hotel and unfortunately what we got was a cubic zirconia. So if you are desperate, then go ahead and stay here, but if you have a choice, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ok so I am not sure how to rate this place but here goes. We stayed here for 2 nights for the Great North Run.

Positives:

- Staff very helpful and very friendly
- Clean (ish)
- Comfy bed
- Quiet (wedding on and the music went off at a reasonable time, I needed a good night sleep before the run and got one thanks!)

Negatives

- EXPENSIVE POOR VALUE FOR MONEY!!! to explain it cost £209 for 2 nights (great north run prices!) but the following weekend it would have been £140 and I still think that is expensive.
- Window had wooden frame which was rotten and therefore had a hole in it
- Fan in bathroom caked in dust and dirt
- Taps spluttering hot water all over
- Shower head would not stick to holder on the wall
- Shower generally poor
- Shelf in bathroom falling off the wall
- Awful decoration (cheap and tacky)
- Guiness and John Smiths beer both ran out (being a bit picky, I paid £209 I think i'm allowed to be)
- Parts of the banister on the stairs missing

Overall the hotel put their prices up because of the Great North Run but then they all do. They need to seriously spend some money on the place to make it worth £140 for 2 nights. Travel lodge would have been a palace in comparison.

New windows, carpets, doors, décor needed throughout.

BUT

The staff were very nice and helpful so I feel a bit bad for them as I don't think it is their fault.
Would I stay again? not a chance! We only booked it because we couldn't find anywhere else that weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here for the weekend with my friends. We were very impressed the staff were all very friendly and so helpful!!
Ours rooms were fab clean and tidy (no sight of sockets hanging off the wall and no resident spider!!)
When we all returned obviously we had had a few cocktails lol. There was no sign of so called TRUNCHBALL just 2 very lovely ladies who done everything they could for us.
I think this is a great hotel with great staff and facilities.
There was a wedding on when we checked inn and omg it was to die for!!!
I honestly say nothing was a problem and I think the staff must have to deal with some VERY rude customers judging by some of the above comments !!!
See you soon elephant on the Tyne !! X

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Haylz1975
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel on arrival we found to be very peaceful with excellent views along and across the river, our bedroom was on the first floor, there was a lift and stairs. The bedroom was very light with a comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities and a great shower, would thoroughly recommend to anyone visiting this area. The cycle path to Gateshead passes the front door of the hotel

Room Tip: We had a great view, room facing the river really quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kidneybear
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just had a fantastic stay at the Elephant. Everyone there was so friendly even when I came in a bit worse for wear!!! The night porter was fab and very patient when i was trying to get in my room. The food was really tasty especially the Sunday lunch and very reasonably priced.Overall we had a fab stay and would defo recommend to anyone looking for a friendly and reasonably priced place to stay whilst visiting Newcastle.
Thanks for everything see you again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends