Abbot Hall Hotel
$111
Engine Inn(Cartmel)
$92
  • Restaurant
All reviewsswimming poolkents banktrain stationfree towelslog cabinself catering lodgeswashing up liquidlovely groundsdouble bedbuffet styleenjoyed our staystayed for nightsporridgefriendly hotelevening mealoverlooking morecambe bayextensive grounds
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a lovely, old style hotel. Our room was big, spacious and warm and the shower was the best I've had in ages. The staff were very nice and the pool was a wonderful addition (though be aware it is completely unsupervised). The other thing to note is that the hotel is not actually in Grange-over-Sands but in Kents Bank, two miles away, and quite hard to find if you don't realise this. Also be aware that there is a charge for paying with a credit card. However, we found the place comfortable, quiet and excellent value, especially for exploring the Lake District pennisula.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
AbbotHallHotel, Front Office Manager at Abbot Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

The review states that the pool is completely unsupervised, this is in fact not the case. The pool is monitored remotely by CCTV based in reception, and there is always a qualified life guard on site. Also, we have strict conditions in place including for example, children under 16 are not allowed in the water unless supervised by an adult.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location and very impressive to look at from the outside. Unfortunately the room we were allocated hasn't been updated for 30 years at least and had a view of the roof rather than the sea. Beds uncomfortable, dismal lighting, insects everywhere and the heating on 24 hrs a day in the middle of summer. Breakfast was a rip off. £8.75 and the only thing that was unlimited was toast. The bald chap keeping a tight grip on the hot breakfast counter looked like I'd upset him when I asked for two sausages and watched like a hawk until I'd finished and duly nicked my plate away before i had chance to go back for seconds. I know it's a Christian retreat, but for god sake show a little generosity. Lots of little Rod and Todd Flanders running riot until the late hours. May god be kind on you of you book at this holy place.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 8ballhall

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you experienced some issues. We assure you that the situation with breakfast is not the norm, and food is certainly not rationed. If problems are brought to our attention during a stay, we do our very best to rectify them at the time. As you can see from our other guests feedback, we normally receive good reviews.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

It was five of us staying in one of the lodges - two couples and a child. We were absolutely happy with this accomodation - functional, clean, VERY well equipped, you can just come and live here, really! No problem to use a BBQ outside the lodge. The views are beautiful and a little forest just nearby brings this wonderful freshness to the air especially early mornings.
We used this accomodation as a base to explore the Lake district, and as long as you are with a car, the location is totally convenient.
We were so busy exploring the beauties of the area that never got a chance to visit the pool and I wouldn`t know to say how the rooms are within the hotel itself, but the lodges are fantastic and we are defo coming back!! This time without our coffee, sugar, spoons etc ... everything for your stay is provided!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anastasija_anarid
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed over the weekend at the end of May, I was looking for a cheap getaway from the North, and found this little place.

It's very far away from anywhere, really, the closest town has a fish shop open 3 days a week, and a Spar/ Co-op that battle in bread and milk prices.

We had a car, so it wasnt much of a problem, sleep was very peaceful, decor was very recent and modern, based on an old mansion this surely was a very big shock!

One gripe I did have about the place, was one of the front of house staff who didn't seem too pleased to be there, but hepled us non the less, this was the only issue, I would suggest that if you are a younger couple, you would avoid this place, it was for sure aimed at the older generation.

Swimming pool was amazing, always empty after 7PM so that gave us a good two hours swim before bed, a great way to wind down after a long day out in the lakes.

We unfortunately had a room overlooking a roof, so we only got to see about seven m of roof and a line of trees, not the ideal situation, but nontheless, a great room.

We did have a problem with the kettle, had not been cleaned in atleast two visits, the water inside the kettle was smelly and there was a large amount of limescale that I could not budge, we got a new kettle after reporting it downstairs at reception on the evening - We had hot chocolate we needed to drink! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a 'premium' / Deluxe room, I found calling up was cheaper.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eastonch
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Loved my stay here. Ulverston was so busy and expensive so I thought Grange-over-Sands would make a nice change. So glad I did, this hotel is a diamond of a place. Was a little worried at first as the sign on the way in says Christian Guild so thought it would be a right God Botherer place, but to be honest everyone was so friendly and welcoming.
Will stay here again if I get the chance.
The only drawback I found was the internet. I wanted to catch up with a few things on iPlayer whilst I was there, but the Internet was soooooooooooooooooo slow. Said would take 12 hours to download TopGear :(
Other than that though, Loved my stay here.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 25 which is a single room. No TV, but did have coffee/tea making facilities.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business