“Superb hotel”
Review of Grange Hotel

Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Grange-over-Sands
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Grange Hotel many times and, in my opinion, it is one of the best hotels around. It is always spotlessly clean and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. The swimming pool and jacuzzi are super and a great place to relax. I have to say that the highlight for me is the fantastic food. The dishes are always beautifully prepared and presented and absolutely delicious. If you stay here be sure to have dinner in Carriages restaurant as it is an amazing experience. I will continue to return to the Grange Hotel and would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: A front facing room is best and has great views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Mixed review. Upon arriving we were delighted. It is a beautiful building in a beautiful setting. Simple as that. Driving up to the building, it's difficult to suppress a grin. The communal reception and corridors are also quite lovely and quaint. I guess our disappointment was in the room. Not the hotel's fault, focused on a different type (age?) of customer, but for us was a wee old fashioned and grandmotherly. Didnt get to eat in the hotel as we were on an itinerary. If you're over the age of 60 I would say this hotel would tick most every box and I guess that's most of the visitors to this level of hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at The Grange Hotel for two nights and were pleasantly surprised by the approach, the long drive up to the Hotel displays a beautifully manicured garden and entrance to the Hotel. The receptionist who checked us in gave us all the information we needed and we went to our room. Unfortunately it did not face the front but it was a lovely room, with a nice bathroom and it was very clean. The towels were very large and fluffy and the bed linen was of a high quality.

We ate in the dining room which was lovely, with good service and tremendous choice.

The breakfast was also good with plenty of choice and staff on attendance at all times.

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone who would like to stay there, be it Summer or Winter

Good Value too

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We attended the Grange Hotel yesterday 20 th October as a group of 31 people requiring a Sunday lunch in a private room for an End of Season function. This was a change to the usual venue used & wow! What a good choice. Firstly the efficient & friendly service given by Angela, Fiona & Andrea in organising this function was much appreciated.
On the day we arrived to be shown to our function room and it looked fab. Beautiful table settings, immaculate surroundings, really classy looking venue.
The food, well EVERYONE (yes all 31) said how good it was. We had Leek & potato soup, cassoulet of mushrooms, and chilled Williams Pear with berries as starters. For mains a choice from beef, lamb ( I had the lamb and it was the best ever) or salmon and desserts apple & blackberry Charlotte, lemon & lime tart, or black cherries in Drambuie. Cannot stress how delicious this food was.
Cannot wait to go back, truly impressed and would change absolutely nothing. Well done, The Grange Hotel !

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Grange Hotel with my husband and I can honestly say that I have nothing negative to say about the experience.

From the moment we arrived I could tell that we had chosen the perfect place, The staff were delightful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was opulent with French-style furnishings and elaborate drapes around our huge four-poster bed. There was even a lovely bathtub in the room (as well as a separate en suite shower room) It was suite 215 and we had our own separate sitting room similarly styled to the bedroom, both with lovely views across the garden towards the Bay.

We were on a special Dinner, Bed & Breakfast rate and I can honestly say I`m surprised that they don`t have at least one rosette, because the food and service were superb. We dined both evenings in Carriages Restaurant and my husband was very impressed with the wine list and that the Restaurant Manager was able to advise us on the perfect wine to accompany our 5-course dining experience. We had pre-booked dinner so it was only £29.50 per person instead of the normal £34.50. Even at full price, it still represented excellent value for what we had. The waiting on staff were attentive, friendly and polite and made us feel so welcome. Each course was well-presented and delicious. I was particularly impressed with the choice of desserts.

The location was ideal for us. We arrived by train and the manager personally came down to collect us in her car at the station as we never travel light! She told us about lots of places we could visit in and around the town, which is olde worlde, unspoiled and charming. We went for a walk along the promenade after we`d checked in and were so impressed with the gardens along there. The pretty little train station itself is adjacent and is a mini version of the Grange Hotel.

We visited the spa on our second morning and spent a leisurely hour swimming then relaxing in the hot tub before having breakfast. I must admit my favourite meal of the day is breakfast and the hotel did us proud with a lovely, well-stocked hot and cold buffet selection with as much coffee and tea top ups as we could want. I have to say,the scrambled egg is probably the best I`ve ever tasted - creamy and moist, the way it should be.

There just aren`t the words to describe what a wonderful time we had, but we`ll certainly be back soon!!

Room Tip: Opt for a front-facing room. Even better, have a suite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

First of all I would advise you to ignore the previous negative review which is way over exaggerated. Myself and my partner stayed here for two nights recently. We had a suite and had a enjoyable stay here.
The restaurant was excellent , it really is treat to eat in there on a evening. The fillet steak was one of the best I have ever had. This is a super room for any special occasion. The service was faultless and this was the highlight of our stay here. The service we received made us feel special.
I was not over impressed with the lunchtime bar meal which was average. This area was over chintzy with all the gilt chairs. I would prefer a more relaxed bar area with comfortable sofas etc. The recorded piano music was a bit monotonous , fortunately another guest asked the barman to turn it down.
The hotel is in a elevated position and has a really nice lawned area in front which would be great in the summertime. This is a great looking building and would make a good background for wedding photographs. They have a large function room and appears to be a ideal venue for a
I agree with elements of some of the previous criticisms but overall this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank factorthirty
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Last night we went for our menu taste - we are marrying at the grange next June. The service was absolutely second to none - Sam & Peter in the restaurant where so attentive , nothing was too much and they where more than happy to answer all of the questions we had ! The hotel is abdolutley beautiful , maintained to such a high standard. We are very excited for next year! We cannot recommend enough !

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grange-over-Sands
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Cartmel
Hampsfell House Hotel
Hampsfell House Hotel
#4 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands

Been to Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!