“Could have been so good”
Review of Ben Mhor Hotel

Ben Mhor Hotel
Reviewed July 12, 2012

First of all I would like to mention the good points. Staff very friendly, rooms clean, nice food. We had a family room booked for my wife and little one(in the booking said it was supposed to sleep up to 4) when we got there we checked in went up to the room to discover it was a room with one king size bed, so we went down stairs and said we had booked a family room so we then got our keys for a different room. This room was better , had 3 single beds – still not a family room, but we were happy with this until the night when none of us got a decent sleep with the noise of the bar – you could make out peoples conversations it was that bad and this did not stop until way past 1am. When there is a band playing the noise is even worse, it was well past 2am before it went quiet – for this reason i have to mark this down. It’s a shame as it could of been a nice stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Very disappointed with the Ben Mhor. This has none of the convenience of a hotel, and none of the charm of a B&B- I simply can't see why anyone would stay here in comparison to other options. The hotel was tired and dated, with carpets and paint jobs in hallways particularly dreary. The rooms were fine for the price, but not at all charming and quite cramped. We were in room 12- I wonder if other rooms had been updated, but ours was not and I would not recommend it. At check-in we waited for a few minutes at an empty desk (even after having rung the bell)- a harried staff member gave us our key and neglected to mention there is NO 24 hour porter and the hotel closes at night (all lights off, front door locked). In town for a wedding, we arrived back at the hotel at 2am and stood in the rain knocking on the door for 20 minutes until a friendly local stopped and let us use their mobile phone to call the hotel where (luckily) someone picked up and came to let us in. Apparently there is a back door and code we should have been given? Staff were somewhat apologetic the next day. The locals who helped us said this happened FREQUENTLY and should be written up in the local paper. Our friends stayed in other (slightly more expensive) places nearby which were much, much better value.

Room Tip: Avoid room 12!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bluescharm
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a small hotel on the main street of Grantown-on-Spey. It is an individual hotel (which if you've read my other reviews, you'll know I prefer) not a typical chain hotel. It has charm throughout and the rooms are well equipped and very well decorated. Staff are excellent as is the food. The town is very quiet at night but the hotel has a great bar attached with a good selection of drinks, including real ale. There is live music in the bar on certain nights. No doubt I'll be back in this hotel again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Visited this restaurant on Saturday 2nd July, after a recommendation for the lady in the fruit and veg shop. The dining area itself was a bit dull,couldnt even see out of the windows, the menu was really quite small, 4 or 5 starters and about 5 main courses, but for £6.50 for 2 courses, there was no complaints. We both had the butternut squash soup which came with nice brown bread and butter and it was very nice. I then had Lemon and Thyme Chicken with butternut squash rissotto, my husband had roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding, My meal was absolutely delicious, although not a huge potion, it was more than enough, and I enjoyed it SO much, My husbands roast beef was lovely, although he felt he could have eaten more, but for the price, agreed it was probably enough. We both felt as if we were full enough to pass on the puddings, which were £4.50 each, although I was sorely tempted. The gentleman that served us was chuffed when I told him I loved my meal, so all in all it turned out to be a great success and would not hesitate in returning here. Will be going back, next time we in Grantown.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I couldn't find this Restaurant to review it before - hence the gap between our visit and the review! I would never go back - the chap who was serving drinks in the 'Bistro' was rude and unable to get the order right.even sighing at my request...! I ordered Rib Eye steak, medium rare - usually a great meal when out as it is succulent and simple - this one arrived completely overcooked.... When I finally got the attention of the waitress, she took it back to the kitchen and promised to bring me another cooked properly....by the time she came back my partner had finished his very mediocre burger and (frozen) chips....the steak was once again completely overcooked, tough and grisly.. I sent it back - she asked if i would like another but i think 2 goes at cooking a prime piece of meat and failing is enough! We paid a huge amount for our drinks, 2 starters (which were at best unappetising) and one very middle of the road main. The other diners seemed to be all foreign and I felt sorry for them as their food arrived they seemed to be looking in horror at what was on their plates....checking the menu to see if that was in fact what they had ordered...and from what I saw I was embarrassed to be Scottish - to think of all the fine produce that is available in this part of the country and what was being served up! The waitress told me the meat came from her father who was the local butcher and maybe it was ok before the 'chef' got his hands on it...........however, nothing would convince me to go back to the 'Bistro 55'...and if it was my business I would have sacked the chef for wasting 2 Rib Eye steaks...! The name 'Bistro' implies good quality food prepared simply with flair - local produce prepared in exciting and innovative ways....... Not here it doesn't!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ELEMGEE
seancraig, Owner at Ben Mhor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear Lesley Graham,

We welcome reviews that are recent and relevant and without exaggeration. These help prospective customers make an informed choice. They also help us as owners and managers monitor our performance and our quality from our customers viewpoint.

We do have bad nights from time to time, the middle of August can be very busy and even the best can have an off night.

You'll notice I am responding in May 2012 to a review you wrote in May 2012. Upon researching your other reviews we note you holidayed in Grantown and had dinner with us in August 2011.- that's 9 months ago - so certainly not recent. I assume the Garden Park, the lovely local b and b where you stayed referred you to us for dinner, they along with many other small hotels and guest houses refer many guests to our Bistro.

Why would you choose to write such a damning review 9 months after the event? I noticed your reviews of other Grantown establishments were not very complimentary either. Were we all having bad nights or were you having a bad week?

Sorry you didn't feel you received value, our beef is supplied by a fine local butcher and is good quality Aberdeen Angus. Our chefs from last August, Dale and Daniel, are still with us and we are very fortunate to have two high quality dedicated chefs working with us. I know every waitress that has worked for us over the last five years as we don't chop and change staff, to my knowledge none of their fathers are the local butcher!

You mention that if you were the owner you would have "sacked the chefs" - we prefer to take a longer term view of things and work with our colleagues taking the odd hiccup as a hiccup, I am sure our prospective customers will look at all our reviews to make an informed choice.

Your review in my opinion fails the test of "recent and relevant" and also the "exaggeration" test.

Each week we discuss meaningful reveiws with our key colleagues, sorry your review will not be on the agenda.

Regards,
Sean Craig
Owner

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Went on a coach trip to Scotland at the beginning of May and there was a last minute change of hotels which was mildly disconcerting, but the Ben Mhor turned out to be great. Nice and central in an interesting town (not some motel on the edge of somewhere dull). Very nice bedroom, bathroom a bit wee bit dated but spotless, all worked well and plenty of towels/toiletries etc. I was expecting the food to be a bit naff as it was part of an organised 'all-in' trip, but I was really impressed - nice choices over 5 days and good breakfasts (e.g. porridge, haddock with poached egg on offer), Very friendly young staff. The bars were the only thing - the residents' one is a bit characterless and the public bar, although very friendly and relaxing was a bit tatty and telly-dominated. Would definitely stay again though - it's a very nice place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2012

we stayed for 3 nights and found the staff very pleasant and helpful particularly Ezster who arranged for us to have a quiet room upon request. I had a recent birthday and the staff even gave me a birthday card! A nice touch. The food was also tasty and good value. The only reason it did not get 5 stars is because of the constant TV in the bar and, as previously mentioned, the disappointing guest lounge.

Room Tip: Make a request!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Michael S,

Thank you for your constructive review.

Your comments are very helpful. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and note your positive comments about the food which is in keeping with most of our reviewers.

Sorry our bars disappointed you - our residents bar has just beenfreshened up a bit in response to some comments, there's a new "book library", fresh flowers and daily newspapers and the furniture has been given a move around with some older items removed. We've also increased again our range of local malts - now over 40 and growing. Our front lounge bar is popular for major sporting events, it is not our intention to have TV's dominating, perhaps it was due to demand from guests - we will look at keeping the balance right for all in the future.

I agree Estzer (Esti) is a star and we are fortunate to have Esti and many other stars working with us.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Sean Craig
Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
The Craiglynne Hotel
3 mi away
Muckrach Country House Hotel
Muckrach Country House Hotel
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to Ben Mhor Hotel? Share your experiences!