“A pleasant and relaxing stay in Speyside”

Muckrach Country House Hotel
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My family, my wife and myself have been staying at the Muckrach Lodge Hotel since 1971. We have always found the hotel to be comfortable, its owners and staff very welcoming and its menu fully reflective of that found in many Scottish Country House Hotels, relying on fresh local ingredients according to season and regular changes in the menu that reflect this.

The rooms at the Muchrach Hotel are not "large", but who goes to the Cairngorms to spend the time prancing around a "large" hotel room? If we had wanted a "large" hotel room, we would for example, be staying in a hotel that had a suite like the one which we occupy at the Meridien when we are in Budapest, which has a huge bedroom, a separate lounge, a private dining room with a conference table, as well as a stunning view of the city!!

Our room at the Muckrach was perfectly adequate for our needs and we did not notice anything amiss with the decor. One hint to guests is that as with many large Scottish properties, including one of our own in Orkney, is that the hot water can take some time to travel through the pipework from the boiler to the bathroom. Apply a little patience and you will the rewarded with lots of lovely hot water for your shower or bath.

We ate at the hotel for both evenings of our stay and were satisfied with both our meals. I particularly enjoyed the venison casserole and the Chateaux Cissac that we chose to accompany it. We also both enjoyed the ribeye steaks which were cooked perfectly to our taste. The Chateaux Musar 2005 from Gaston Hochar in the Lebanon was particularly good and well decanted without passing any sediment into the decanter.

My wife and I found our stay very pleasant and would be happy to return for another.

For those guests looking for full silver service, linen napkins, large quantities of fawning staff, a huge menu and a wine list that reads like an encyclopaedia, the Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire may prove to be more suitable albeit expensive, alternative. :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony_Barthorpe
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you so much for this review. Everyone gets a great morale boost when travellers who understand what we offer enjoy the experience. Statistically a dissatisfied customer is ten times more likely to complain than a satisfied customer is to praise. This distorts the picture for establishments that do not massage their listings or their guests. Applying the logic of the stats, this review is worth ten bad ones, and should be weighted so.
Thanks again, it's always a pleasure looking after guests like you in our house.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Although we have lived in the area for over 7 years - and have had a drink in the Muckrach - we had never had a meal there - until tonight. We had a booking for 8pm - but due to other guests who had "delayed" their appearance - everything from then on was held up - so we were called through to our table at 8.40pm. The starter was okay - but the black pudding was more like a biscuit - with the base of it quite crispy and crunchy. The main course was absolutely excellent ! The dessert ? Well the base of the sticky toffee pudding was just like the black pudding starter - crispy and crunchy. First choice of wine was not available. Then as we finished our meal - a little late - not our fault - remember the couple at the start of the evening who had "delayed " - the staff were stripping tables and setting for breakfast all around us. So not the peaceful end to our evening we had hoped for. They might have waited a wee while - it was only 10.10pm !!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. We take your comments on board and will make some changes in procedure. Please in future alert your server if you are unhappy with the quality of a dish. We will always attempt to resolve the issues there and then.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

As part of a group of 4 travelling South from Inverness to sample Muckrach Lodge for the first time last night, I was very much looking forward to it. I had looked at the menu on the website and it sounded delicious. The lodge itself looked inviting and I was hoping for an evening of luxury but instead had an evening of mediocrity! We had booked a table for 8pm and arrived promptly. We were handed sheets of printed A4 paper which served as the menu and winelist and were informed that the main course salmon was no longer available as they had been very busy earlier in the evening and, in fact, there was doubt whether the lamb dish was available either! However, it transpired that there were in fact 2 portions of lamb remaining. We received no amuse bouche, as stated on the website. After receiving our pre-dinner drinks we were shown to the dining room. Paper napkins??? In an establishment such as this surely linen would be more appropriate? Myself and my husband had ordered the goats cheese, fig, walnut oatcake and honey dressing as starters but the oatcake was the size of a 10p piece and the fig small, green and tasteless, however the goat's cheese was good. For my main course I had ordered ribeye steak with sauted new potatoes and salad, which is indeed what I received but the plate was heated. Surely the salad would be better served on a side dish? The rhubarb cranachan with malt whisky was also a disappointment. A small ball, about the size of a golf ball, of tasteless cream with what seemed like raw oatmeal - very chewy. The rhubarb compote was lovely though. We followed this with coffee, which was good. During the second half of our meal the staff began preparing the surrounding tables for breakfast, stripping the tablecloths and spraying the tables down, which made us feel as if we were no longer welcome. During coffee the background music was switched off - definitely time to leave! Would it not have been nicer to have suggested that we have our coffee in the lounge where we could have enjoyed it without feeling unwelcome? Our bill at the end of the evening, which included one pre-dinner drink each, one bottle of wine, 4 starters, 4 main courses, 2 desserts, once cheese plate and 3 coffees came to the grand total of £210. Sorry, but it was SO not worth it! Don't think we will be recommending Muckrach to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Seonaid A
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

We make no apologies for our daily changing menus, our freshly cooked food and our welcoming staff. Nor do we apologise for rude and unpleasant customers. If you're not going to be nice, go home.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The food was lukewarm (all three courses), staff had a fake smile on all day, the building itself is falling to bits inside, our room (No.4) was the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. It was extremely tiny with the smallest double bed you can get, the built in "wardrobe" (a hole in the wall) was big enough for two jackets and and two pairs of shoes, the floor and the bed were dirty and smelly, mildew on the blanket and the window , extremely damp smell in the room all day and the worst thing: THE WINDOWS WERE SEALED! Please see my photos attached as evidence. So there was no option to open them and get rid of the terrible smell in the room. I'm am pretty sure that is against the health and safety rules too. Not even a fan in the bathroom. If you suffer from asthma you probably would not survive the night.

Stay away from this place!

From someone who actually DID STAY in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Gyorgy S
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Finally, after about six attempts, this reviewer is able to post something free enough of abuse and mindless vitriol for Tripadvisor to leave up. Such self control is to be lauded, although the persistence does border on obsession. This man stayed with his 'girlfriend' who made the booking. They chose to use a discount voucher from Groupon; these are valid for our small standard rooms. On arrival they demanded an upgrade, and, ignoring the fact that no other rooms were available they threatened us with a bad review unless we complied. Well I don't know about you, but personally I strongly object to bullying and blackmail, and I won't countenance it. Others might acquiesce, for a quiet life, to avoid a bad review, to keep the peace. I don't. I will always stand up to thuggery, and here is the resulting pile of nonsense. This reviewer's trade by the way, is as a photographer, which is probably why he has posted such fine images of 'evidence'. My evidence is an email from the 'girlfriend' stating we would have got a good review if they'd been upgraded. Tripadvisor won't let me post this however.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Muckrach Lodge for three nights at the start of April. It is a beautiful, characterful and quite special place to stay.

Set in its own grounds on a slight hill, the front of the house over looks a field with two highland cows, the other side of the house looks over a castle and a field with sheep. The Lodge itself has a comfortable lounge and bar area with plenty of books and board games to keep you occupied. The staff are great, the food is delicious and the rooms have lovely character. I really apreciated the fresh coffee in our rooms.

Please ignore the negative reviews on the website as they are simply not true.

When you come to Muckrach Lodge you pay for the experience of staying in a wonderful characterful highland setting, not a modern clean-cut city centre hotel. My only feedback, is could we have an option to have a mini- bar or drinks selection in our room.

We will definately be back, thank you for a great holiday!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sianwigs
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you thank you! We and the staff get a real lift from reviews like this.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Arrived here for the Easter break and although chilly outside as expected I was immediately met with the warmth of both the lodge and the staff. I was upgraded to a better room which was a plus. The room was really spacious and comfy, the bed was enormous and had extra blankies for the night. there was an extra heater in the room so I genuinely cannot complain it was cold. The bar was fantastic, great big fireplace, big selection of wines and very ambient atmosphere - whats not to like?! And the best part was the food - the starters were delish, mains rich and just yumtastic!! I would definitely go back even earlier in the year as I mimssed the snow but I bet its a proper winter wonderland in January

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We and the staff appreciate your comments and get a real kick from knowing we did okay by you.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I saw the review below and i felt compelled to leap to the hotels defence. I do not remenber any guest being unhappy when i stayed. My room was lovely and although at first a little cold a simple ring on the bell at reception granted us additional heating for our stay. The food was spectacular! I had the sea bass and my wife had the duck breast and we both agreed that we have never tasted such spectacular food at a hotel. The staff were very pleasant, chatty and eager to help. We came on groupon for the three night stay including a three course dinner and whiskey tasting and we certainley didnt feel any less respected that the full paying guests. We had a wonderful stay and will definately be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2013
diabolo666, Owner at Muckrach Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you! If only all guests could be like you!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel
#7 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to Muckrach Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!