My family, my wife and myself have been staying at the Muckrach Lodge Hotel since 1971. We have always found the hotel to be comfortable, its owners and staff very welcoming and its menu fully reflective of that found in many Scottish Country House Hotels, relying on fresh local ingredients according to season and regular changes in the menu that reflect this.
The rooms at the Muchrach Hotel are not "large", but who goes to the Cairngorms to spend the time prancing around a "large" hotel room? If we had wanted a "large" hotel room, we would for example, be staying in a hotel that had a suite like the one which we occupy at the Meridien when we are in Budapest, which has a huge bedroom, a separate lounge, a private dining room with a conference table, as well as a stunning view of the city!!
Our room at the Muckrach was perfectly adequate for our needs and we did not notice anything amiss with the decor. One hint to guests is that as with many large Scottish properties, including one of our own in Orkney, is that the hot water can take some time to travel through the pipework from the boiler to the bathroom. Apply a little patience and you will the rewarded with lots of lovely hot water for your shower or bath.
We ate at the hotel for both evenings of our stay and were satisfied with both our meals. I particularly enjoyed the venison casserole and the Chateaux Cissac that we chose to accompany it. We also both enjoyed the ribeye steaks which were cooked perfectly to our taste. The Chateaux Musar 2005 from Gaston Hochar in the Lebanon was particularly good and well decanted without passing any sediment into the decanter.
My wife and I found our stay very pleasant and would be happy to return for another.
For those guests looking for full silver service, linen napkins, large quantities of fawning staff, a huge menu and a wine list that reads like an encyclopaedia, the Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire may prove to be more suitable albeit expensive, alternative. :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Muckrach Country House Hotel is a 4 star Victorian Shooting Lodge. Muckrach Country House Hotel sits in the heart of the Spey Valley, set in 10 acres surrounded by pastureland and mountains. No activity is far away; whether it be winter sports, field sports, fishing, walking, golf, mountain biking or adrenalin-led fun, they are all accessible within half an hour or less. All bedrooms have a contemporary porcelain-tiled ensuite. 1 Bedroom has an inter-connecting family room option, although z beds are available to add to most rooms. All bedrooms have underfloor heating, free WIFI, entertainment system, tea/coffee making facilities and Hypnos beds. The Coffee Shop / Restaurant and Bar are open to non-residents from breakfast through to supper. Our chefs bring the best of Scottish produce together in their menus. Choose to take Afternoon Tea in the Drawing Room, a wee dram in the Bar or organise a private dining party for up to 16 in The Grant Room. A Highland welcome awaits you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Muckrach Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muckrach Hotel Grantown On Spey
- Muckrach Country House Hotel Grantown-On-Spey, Scotland