“Wonderful Experience”

The Craiglynne Hotel
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed at the Craiglynne in March 2014 and loved it! The place is like something out of the history or literature books. The staff was wonderful and made my stay very pleasant! The room was clean and the atmosphere peaceful and pastoral. You'll probably not find anything like this in the USA!!

Room Tip: Ask for room on first floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are extremely grateful for the time our guests take to leave their feedback.

We are delighted to read your comments about our hotel and I am extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

Once again many thanks and we hope we can welcome you back to Scotland soon.

Gemah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Coleford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Upon arrival in the evening we were very disappointed to find that despite prior confirmation from the hotel that our rooms would be close together, our rooms were situated very far apart and on different floors. One of our rooms on the first floor had a very unpleasant and claustrophobic outlook of a small flat roof and walls. This was readily changed to a room overlooking the front of the hotel. However the window frame in this room had a 1/4" gap around one corner. In the winter this would be a problem but the electric wall heater was efficient enough to cope with one or two chilly evenings and mornings. The showers were either mixer tap style (which were very difficult to turn on and off) or electric but in tiny cubicles.
The breakfast menu choice and quality of food was very good. A couple of mornings we were given tea and cups but no milk which we had to ask for. The hard working waiting staff could do with a bit more help!
A minor disappointment was that the shortbread biscuits were not replaced in the rooms every day. Apparently they are only provided as a welcome on the first day. Although the (uncomfortable) beds were made nicely each day, the bathroom sink and mirror did not seem to be cleaned for the duration of our weeks stay.
The bar and lounge areas are pleasant but the drinks are very expensive. We got a good deal for our rooms via Booking.com. We would not have been very happy with paying the full price for our rooms.
Sadly Granton-on-Spey seems to be suffering the fate of many small towns and has several empty shop units in the high street. There were however a couple of tea rooms and three or four lovely gift shops, including a Walkers shortbread outlet with a really good choice of different types of shortbread. We didn't find many places to eat out locally in the evening so as we were on a tight budget we tried to have our meals wherever we found a suitable place before returning to the hotel after a day out. This was sometimes quite difficult. The town is in quite a good location for touring round this area of Scotland.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have a nice outlook. The road does get fairly busy in the mornings but it wasn...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Firstly I must apologise that your rooms were not as close as they should have been, I have discussed this with our reception team to establish what went wrong. I was informed that your rooms were close to one another which were rooms 101, 104 and 127, and 127 being the closest double bedded room available. Unfortunately the previous guest to occupy room 101 had left with the key, our receptionist did however offer you a twin bedded room on the 1st floor and the next day it could be made into a double bedded room, as there was no other doubles available for that evening close to room 104. This offer was declined and we were informed that you were happy with room Cardhu, on the 2nd floor at the other end of the building.

The lady that was occupying the room 127 was unhappy with the view so we relocated the room to room 138, a front facing twin room that we were happy to be made into a double the next day, we were slightly baffled by these decisions as the main reason for the rooms to be close together was to be near your Father who was in room 104, and we did try and arrange this for you.

The reception team did everything they could to relocate the rooms to be together but this was declined at the time.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the standards of the rooms such as the showers, window and the mirrors; I have checked back our complaints and feedback logbooks and nothing has recently been reported.

Once again thank you for your review and I am extremely disappointed that you did not mention any of these issues at the time, when I could have discussed these with you.

edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in April 2014 and found the hotel very comfortable, the food excellent and the staff helpful. Our bedroom was at the front of the Hotel and we had nice views. We would return if we got the same deal again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hazeEdinburgh
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your review on Trip advisor. We were delighted to read your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your kind comments on to the team, and we hope to welcome you back to The Craiglynne Hotel in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards
Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Got a cheap few nights dinner bed and breakfast to the craiglynne on 5pm.com and on first appearances the hotel looked lovely. On arrival to our double room we had 2 single beds and a view of the carpark from the window. Room also very small. Asked to be moved to a double room as that's what we paid for. Second room was even smaller with a double bed. The view from the window?...... A brick wall! Also dead pigeons in the gutter. Decided to make do as we didn't plan on spending any time in it. If I had paid the going rate of £130 a night I would have asked for a refund and went elsewhere. Hotel reception and bar area was nice enough. Dinner on the first night was average. Decided to go to local pub, had a fab night and on arrival back to the hotel at midnight we were locked out. No doorbell or anyone in reception. Thankfully a fellow hotel resident happened to walk past and let us in or we would have been sleeping in the car!!! Now onto breakfast.... Restaurant quiet when we arrived. Sat at table with dirty cutlery which was immediately changed. Brought coffee to table with no cups or sugar. Eggs were barely cooked. Decided that night we would eat elsewhere. Came back to hotel on our last night for a few drinks before bed. Asked for an Irish coffee. They don't do Irish coffee. Asked for a long vodka. They don't do long vodka. Asked for a vodka soda and lime. They don't do soda water. May sound petty but charging £130 a night room only you would expect a bit better than this. As I said we got a cheap deal and had a lovely time out and about as the scenery was amazing and lots to do but I definetly wouldn't go back, even on a cheap deal. Think they need to drop there prices dramatically for comfort and experience residents actually get. Also spoke to other residents in the bar who were very disappointed with the over all experience. It's a Shame as it could b a not bad place if the did a bit if a refurb and trained the staff properly.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kpatz88
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, we are appreciative of the time our guests take to leave their reviews, for it is vital to our business to take the feedback and work on it to improve our standards and service.

Firstly let me explain that when guest’s book through 5pm.com the voucher states that the room will be a twin/double, and you can note your preferred room. However if the preferred room isn’t available which it wasn’t in your case we only have the option to offer a twin bedded room, I am glad that you were offered a double bedded room and you had the choice of both. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the views, we do try our upmost to allocate front facing bedrooms where we can, as you will appreciate these are the most popular rooms and to guarantee these we do charge a small supplement of £10.

I must apologise that you could not access the hotel through the main doors, after Midnight we do lock our main double doors, however we do have various signs throughout the hotel which does state this information and it also advises guests they can collect a front door key, should they be out late, I am sorry you missed these signs.

I am shocked and embarrassed to read your comments regarding your experience in the restaurant during breakfast service. I was completely unaware of these incidents and I have discussed the issues raised with our restaurant and kitchen team and implemented the correct procedures where needed to ensure this does not happen again in the future, I am however disappointed you did not mention anything at the time to our reception team, as they could have discussed the issues at the time.

In our bar we do normally serve Irish coffees, I am sorry about this and I will fully investigate with our bar team to understand why you were refused this. Unfortunately we do not serve long vodkas as we do not stock angostura bitters, which is need for this drink. I am sorry you were unable to purchase soda water from our bar, as you can appreciate we do occasionally run out of stock and this was the case this week, please do accept my apologies.

I am afraid I am a little baffled with your comments regarding other guests mentioning that they were also unhappy with their overall stay, as nothing has been reported by any guests recently. As you can see from our other reviews, the comments regarding our staff are tremendous and we receive feedback daily from guest’s comments cards complementing our staff.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies that your stay was not as good as it could have been, and I am extremely disappointed that you deemed it necessary to post your review on Trip Advisor about the issues raised as I only wished you mentioned them at the time and I could have discussed these with you.

Thank you for your review, I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel in the near future.

Gemah

Travelers are raving about these Grantown-on-Spey hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We arrived at the hotel about 3 15pm. to be told our room wasnt ready !!!! our friends arrived half an hour before us and were already in their lovely twin room overlooking the front of hotel. so we had high hopes .we were not pleased with the room as the view was at the back of hotel with a crumbling chimney right at our window.We asked for another room and was given the attic room facing the front.we had stayed in this room once before the conversion.the room is not very bright owing to the small windows.but clean and tidy .the shower over the bath is another story .my husband hit his head on the attic wall a few times when showering.the food was very good and the tribute night with Rod Stewart was excellent our friends booked the hotel about 3 days after us !! so i would like to know why they were given the better room since it was my birthday and easy breaks told them that .

Room Tip: our attic room was 202 friends room we think was 114 it was in the building attached to the dining...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly let me apologise that there was a slight delay to your check in, as all our rooms are normally ready for 3pm. I am sorry that your first room wasn’t to your liking, however I am confused with your comments regarding the front facing “attic room” room 202 is on the second floor and is certainly not in the attic as you have mentioned.

Easybreaks will inform us of any birthdays/events etc. and we do try our upmost to allocate front facing bedrooms where we can, as you will appreciate these are the most popular rooms and to guarantee these we do charge a small supplement of £10. Please feel free to contact us the next time you book, and I will only be delighted to ensure we allocate you a front facing bedroom.

I have passed your kind comments on to our chefs regarding the food and we are also delighted you enjoyed the Rod Stewart tribute evening.

Once again thank you for your review, I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel in the near future.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

The building is lovely and the staff are friendly (though they are a bit shy at first until you've stayed there a couple of nights). Breakfast is great, a good selection of 'help yourself' fruit, cereals, porridge and juice, and the hot food is great, especially the eggs florentine. The evening meals are not quite as good (the venison was a bit overcooked for my liking). The decor, particularly the carpets, are looking a bit tired. But we would stay there again if we're in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Piglet1973
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your review on Trip advisor.

I have passed your kind comments on to the team and I am terribly sorry to hear that your evening meals were not up to our usual standard, please accept our apologies.

We do have a rolling maintenance programme in place and our décor is freshened up annually with carpets replaced as needed, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to welcome you back to The Craiglynne Hotel in the not too distant future.

Airdrie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Rooms clean and all staff helpful and friendly. Good location for getting about highlands. Pigeons are a bit noisy in morning. Food good and plentiful. Rod Stewart tribute was an added bonus. Would use this hotel again. A few ashtrays outside for the smokers would be a bonus.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to post your review on Trip advisor.

We were delighted to read your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, please have a look on our website for our tributes throughout the year.

Gemah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to The Craiglynne Hotel? Share your experiences!