The Craiglynne Hotel
$184
Hotels.com
Willowbank Guesthouse(Grantown-on-Spey)
$95
Garth Hotel & Restaurant(Grantown-on-Spey)
$132
  • Breakfast included
$100
Haus Alba(Grantown-on-Spey)
Dunallan House(Grantown-on-Spey)
Rosehall Guest House(Grantown-on-Spey)
Waverley Villa Guesthouse(Grantown-on-Spey)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscrerar hotelseasy breaksfront facinglovely hoteldinner bed and breakfastset menua la carte menubit datedreception areaold buildinghotel staffnight breakrelaxing breakshort breakexcellent value for moneydb bboth nights
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Just back from weekend stay at the hotel with family and friends,have to say was a beautiful weekend, hotel staff very helpful, from reception team, resturant staff, food was lovely,and everyone had a good weekend away, and will be back in the near future thanks for a lovely time.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank carson180
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we are appreciative of the time our guests take to leave there comments.

We were extremely pleased to read you enjoyed your short stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here in August for just one night. I was given room 133 where the extractor fan drones until after 11. I thought that my only chance of sleep was to drag a mattress into the bathroom. I wish that this was the only problem with the room but there was the smashing of bottles, the cars being moved and the staff screaming and smoking at the rear of the hotel. In the morning when we went to breakfast there were no clean bowls for cereal and I had to get up and ask as I couldn't even catch a member of staff attention. I never once saw any of the staff even smile at a customer let alone at each other. When we left my chance to even say that the room was terrible, the girl on the reception didn't even look at me let alone ask if my stay had been fine. I was glad to get out of the place.

Room Tip: Don't accept any room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LouMorNeele

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we are appreciative of the time our guests take to leave their comments.

I am a little baffled by your comments; our extractor fan is in the bathroom and can be switched off with the button which is located beside the light switches, so I am just a little stumped with your comments of “chance of sleep was to drag a mattress into the bathroom”

Unfortunately not all of our rooms face the front gardens, and normally guests pay an extra £10.00 per night to secure a front facing room.

We do allow guests to park at the back of the hotel if there are no spaces available at the front area, ggenerally in the hotel in the morning it can be some what busy with private guests who have booked wildlife excursions and walking tours etc.

I was shocked to read your comments in regarding the staff smoking at the back of the hotel, something which we certainly do not allow, the staff do have a small designated smoking area at the rear of the hotel which is used for the staff to have their breaks whilst on long shifts.

I was disappointed to read your comments about our staff as we normally receive tremendous feedback on a regular basis, I have checked our complaints log book and I have nothing logged about any of the points you have highlighted in your review, and I am only disappointed that you did not report any of these as we could have rectified them at the time, as I never like hearing any of our guests leaving unhappy.

Once again thank you for your review, and I apologise that your stay was not as good as it could have been.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Three days at Craiglynne with other siblings.Second visit and cannot say enough how much we each enjoyed your warmth, friendliness and cruiseie. Your staff and housekeeping added to my relaxed and enjoyable stay. Although you are a little tired you still have the energy to provide a couple of entertainers on Saturday nights and deliver wonderful ballads, reels and modern music ( well done you two ), alas a little more advertising would have provided more atmosphere on the night. We shall return to again converse with other fellow travellers from all around Scotland. What great people we met from Sunderland and from the Islands. May you continue greet travellers. Well done staff for going the extra mile to make our visit enjoyable. Excellent value.
Room 205 /218-13th-16thSept.'13

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank trevor178
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We were all very pleased to read you enjoyed your short stay with us and our evening entertainment and I have passed your kind comments on to the staff here at the hotel.

Once again thank you for your review, we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

After a pleasant welcome we were given the key to a small, stuffy room where the windows looked out onto walls and rooftops. The double bed was small and the floorboards creaked. Worst of all was that the toilet was in the unflushed condition in which the previous guest had left it. On complaining we were allocated a much more pleasant room over looking the gardens at the front of the hotel. The food was mostly of acceptable quality with good sized portions. However we did send two different main dishes back to the kitchen because both were overcooked, hard and difficult to cut. Free coffee and tea were available in the lounge but the coffee was very weak and lacking in flavour. The lounge was spacious with comfortable seating but some dining chairs had loose joints. The service was excellent throughout.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a good outlook and the hotel is set well back from the road so traffic noise is negligible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, we are appreciative of the time our guests take to leave their comments.

Firstly please accept my sincerest apologies with the condition of your first room, I was shocked and embarrassed to read your comments and I have thoroughly investigated each point. I have spoken with our housekeeping team and I have implemented the correct re-training in areas that were obviously needed, I understand that this is no consolation to yourself and I am glad the receptionist was able to move you to one of our front facing rooms.

I was disappointed when I read your comments regarding our food, I can assure you that this is not normal in regards to our meals, usually we receive positive feed back, and on this occasion we clearly got things wrong, I have discussed your comments at length with the kitchen team to ensure we get this right going forward, I do however again appreciate this is no consolation to yourself.

I am a little baffled by your comments regarding our dining chairs; we have had our maintenance man check all of our chairs thoroughly today, and no reports of any loose or broken chairs have been logged.

I am disappointed that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you during your stay as we never like to hear of any of our guests leaving us unhappy.

Once again I would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Could not agree with on of the previous reviews more - we are also just back and were clearly there at the same time - the food let the whole experience down. Reception staff were lovely and welcoming and could not do more for you but unfortunately that ethos did not translate to the dining room. No black pudding at breakfast, the selection of cheeses on the printed menu was replaced with three options, one of which was goats cheese which I had already had for my starter and they had run out of the crème brulee. The set dinner which was included in the deal was very poorly presented with limp salad and crusty bits around the pate and the potted hough (Monday nights starter). The spiced fishcake had no spice and the clootie dumpling had been baked in the oven and had never seen a "cloot". It was hard around the edges and very dry all through - have the kitchen never heard of cling film? We were a party of 4 and had a mixture of set dinner and a la carte on the 2nd night because of our disappointment the 1st night - we were then asked to sign for much more than we had had so I would advise you to check your bills before paying. For breakfast my husband ordered the eggs benedict and I ordered two poached eggs and bacon - we both got two poached eggs on toast which we promptly sent back. A few minutes later the correct breakfasts were delivered which were stone cold (clearly the same poached eggs). The hotel is lovely and the rooms are fairly standard hotel rooms but the dining experience definitely lets them down so a deal on dinner bed and breakfast might not be the best option. We had previously stayed at the Crerar hotel at Inveraray and we were very impressed with the food on offer there so particularly disappointed at the Craiglynne. The lager in the bar (Becks) was undrinkable not because it was Becks but because it was flat and looked like it had been sitting in the barrel for a few years. There is a great pub (Craigs Bar) within walking distance and pie and chips there at £7.50 a head would have beat our a la carte dinner hands down.

Room Tip: Our room had a lot of space and on the ground floor next to a separate entrance from main reception so great for the dogs to get out without going through public areas. Room 52 was very good for us
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Heather M
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Crerar Craiglynne Hotel. I was deeply concerned to read the points you highlighted and I have thoroughly investigated each point.

Firstly please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the bad experience you had with our meals, as you can appreciate we do our very best to have all of our items on the menu but we do occasionally run out of certain items, again this is no consolation to yourself in which I am deeply sorry for this.

I have discussed these matters with both our kitchen and restaurant teams and we have provided the corrective re training which was clearly necessary, I have also discussed the importance of maintaining a 100% standard of service at all times.

I was disappointed that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you during your stay, when we could have rectified the issues raised; we never like to hear of any of our guests leaving us unhappy.

Once again I would like to thank you for your review and my apologies that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it could have been, I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to reinstall your confidence in our hotel in the future.