“Crerar Hotels Fan”

The Craiglynne Hotel
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
“Crerar Hotels Fan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Craiglynne Hotel is the fourth Crerar Hotel I have stayed at. It was OK. I would put in order of excellence for Crerar: Pitlochry-Scotland's Hotel; Oban-Oban Bay Hotel; Ballater-Deeside Inn and then falling behind, the Craiglynne. I felt this hotel is in need of some upgrading. The hotel looks stunning on the outside, until you are up close, very off-putting paint peeling and weeds etc growing out of guttering - which is just going to get worse unless tackled soon. Staff are lovely people but not too efficient, Food was mostly good, though the buffet part of breakfast falls way short of what is on offer in Pitlochry. All in all a pleasant enough stay, but wouldn't return the way we periodically return to Oban and Pitlochry

Room Tip: Though nice view staying at front of hotel, remember the guest lounges are directly below, if you ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JR26_13
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

You will be delighted to read that we have just completed the outside maintenance, where all guttering, weeds and flaking paint have been removed, furthermore the exterior was all fully repainted, and we do complete this annually, however I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I am sorry you felt the buffet fell short of our sister hotel, I can confirm we do offer the exact same items as this is part of our brand standards, I do appreciate the layouts are different this is due to different restaurant layouts.

I have also passed your kind comments on to the team here and we have carried out refresher training and reiterated the importance of being efficient.

Once again I would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel in the future.

Kindest Regards
Gemah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Nice helpful and friendly staff. Food in restaurant good. Went on a last minute cheap deal so maybe that denotes what sort of room allocated. Room adequate/average could be a bit cleaner and more up to date. In all would probably return at a future date.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We were pleased you enjoyed your short stay with us and I have taken on board your comments and have discussed them at length with our house keeping department. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I are just back from two nights dinner bed and breakfast in this hotel; our room was clean and comfortable, the food was varied and of great quality, and the dining room staff were really polite and friendly. These young people took time to chat to guests as they were serving, and it was easy to see how this was appreciated by many older guests. We will certainly be making a return visit to this hotel, definitely wonderful value for money. The Finnan haddock and poached egg I had for breakfast was the best I have ever eaten, two huge pieces of fish and two poached eggs! Now back to the diet!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter , but the main road in front is not busy , so not a problem to choose...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to read you enjoyed your short stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic few nights as up seeing family all staff very friendly and helpful they where more than happy to do anything to make my stay as nice as possible. I will definitely be back again hopefully a longer vist next time

• Stayed July 2013
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted you enjoyed your short stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Stay for the weekend with my wife and 3 kids had a lovely time staff were very nice and helpful and hotel has a nice set up would recommend any1 to stay there as its a beautiful stay thanks for a beautiful weekend

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed for only 1 night as travelling around the area but can't wait to go back. Very impressive building in arrival and lovely lounge. Warm welcome friendly and helpful with local info. Room was great what we like us that as with all Crerar hotels they are dog friendly. Our puppy was welcome in the hotel and by the way there is a great park opposite for walks. Lovely little town. Give this a try its worth it. Thanks to all and see you soon I hope

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The arrival at the Craiglynne is impressive, it's sports an imposing facade and driveway. Unfortunately it all nosedives downhill from here on in. The reception area has had some obvious refurbishment, with a large attractive seating area. Unfortunately the refurb doesn't extend quite far enough, (this is a running theme). The fetching bare strip lighting at reception is also illuminating a missing receptionist. After nearly ten minutes, (which I spend looking in vain for a bell, to attract attention, and during which time I desperately ponder smashing one of their Macintosh jewellery display cabinets, to see if anyone appears), a smiling lady suddenly comes rushing from the back, full of apologies, and not a little harassed looking. Check in swift and friendly though, once she composes herself. Allocated room 152. Walk to the room is like negotiating a drab 70s car park, through a maze of corridors and stairs. Finally manage to find my room. You couldn't swing a kitten above your head in the corridor leading to it, never mind in the room itself. Memories of a dreadful b and b I once frequented in Blackpool, circa 1988 come flooding back as I put the key in the lock. The room, although small and not a little claustrophobic, is actually nicely decorated, with flat screen tv and comfy bed. The bathroom, on the other hand, is dreary and tired, like a lot of the common areas. Seems clean though to be fair. Try to open the window to get some air in, nearly lose three fingers as it drops shut faster than a demolished tower block. This is perhaps lucky as it avoids opening the window to the flock of pigeons, which seems to have taken residence around the hotel, the evidence of their stay all over every paved area of the hotel. Following a long drive, I decide to have a shower. I'm no time served plumber, but I have never struggled with a hotel mixer tap before. This one, evidently a vintage model, refuses to give me anything but the most lukewarm of water. Is this really the best we can do guys? Having a dreary old fashioned bathroom is one thing, having a shower giving out lukewarm, tepid water is just an utter joke. I understand this hotel wasn't built yesterday, but frankly, this is dismally poor. Overall then, not great, and while all the staff I met were friendly, this experience would have to make me suggest avoiding this hotel, even for a one night stay for business.

• Stayed July 2013
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I was extremely disappointed to see you rated your stay poor, given you have rated the service, location and cleanliness as very good, and you also mentioned that the room was nicely decorated with flat screen TV and a comfy bed.

I can only apologise that the receptionist was not at the desk upon your arrival, we do try to ensure this area is manned at all times, however on occasions they do need to attend to other guests needs, I am sorry for the delay, however I find your comment regarding smashing our cabinet as extreme due to a short wait, but please do accept my apologies that the short delay made you feel this way.

Please accept my sincerest apologises that you found your water to be lukewarm, I have personally checked the mixer and I did find it to be in full working order, I did check the maintenance log and found no issues relating to any shortages within the hot water, however I appreciate this is of no consolation to yourself.

I am disappointed that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you during your stay as we never like to hear of any of our guests leaving us unhappy.

Gemah

Travelers are raving about these Grantown-on-Spey hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#2 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to The Craiglynne Hotel? Share your experiences!