“Enjoyable Stay”

The Craiglynne Hotel
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm staying here as part of work and as such don't ever expect much, in this case however i was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is well situated for enjoying both the countryside and just mooching about towns. There are plenty of touristy things to do in the area. The hotel itself provides a welcoming atmosphere with its friendly staff. The bar is a great place to relax of an evening with its selection of whiskeys, The restaurant provides a constantly changing menu of quality food. The room was comfortable and the showers were hot what more do you need. I have read some of the previous reviews and feel they were unfair, my stay here was enjoyable and would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel, your group have been a pleasure to have in the hotel and we hope that you will come back and enjoy this area when you are not working but relaxing in your own time.

As you noted this is a great base for exploring the local area with the start of the whisky trail on our doorstep and a great selection in our bar for you to sample on your return to the hotel.

Thank you again for your comments and I will pass them on to our staff.

Ac General Manager

Reviewed October 6, 2012

As with the previous review, I am currently staying at the Craiglynne Hotel whilst working in the local area. A beautiful hotel from the exterior set in a lovely location. Upon arrival I was greeted with friendly staff who would go the extra mile to make my stay much better. I was even allowed to use a downstairs room to store equipment in overnight to save me carrying heavy boxes upstairs. My room is very comfortable and to counter the shower cubicle comment in a previous review, I am over six feet tall and had no problems at all. The food is excellent and set at very competetive prices. All in all, I have nothing but good things to say and will return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am so glad that you have enjoyed your stay here with us. We try to help our guests in any way we can, including the little things like extra storage space if needed etc.

We have enjoyed having your group with us and hope that we do see you again in the future when you will have time to relax and enjoy the hotel and area more (without the early morning starts !).

Ac General Manager

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I feel the need to counter some of the comments regarding this hotel. I am currently staying here at the moment, and think it is great. The staff are very welcoming and will do anything to help you. I have had a couple of issues, and they have been resolved quickly with no fuss.
The room I am staying in is really nice too. The decor and furniture is fine and gives the rooms a homely feel.
In fact the only complaint I would have is the fact the mobile signal here is a bit naff but that is no fault of the hotel - I suspect the local geography! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to enjoy the local area; and the nearby Whiskey Trail!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Craiglynne, General Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you are enjoying your stay with us and will pass on yoru comments to our staff.

You are correct about the phone signal in this area and we tend to see a lot of guests walking about outside with hands in the air or standing in the middle of the garden where for some reason a signal can be located.

Once again that you for taking the time to place your review and I hope we will see you again at the hotel once your business in the area in over.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Lovely from the outside, horrifying from the inside.
Immediately on entering the room, both my daughter and I remarked on the fact that the look and feel was of a hospital room. Cold in atmosphere and temperature, you can't improve something like this with a couple of plaid quilts. It was dingy and the grimy white painted walls added to the vibe. We could not wait to leave.
And on our way, my daughter slipped and fell down the stairs. The rubber treads on the stairs, presumably for traction were so worn that they were like ice. Added to that, the bannister looked like it had been beaten with bats, so when she fell, she ended up with inch long splinters embedded in her arm. The lift did not work.
The room stayed freezing despite cranking the heat. The beds were lumpy nightmares.
There was no cell reception and the phone in our room did not function. We were told later that they had to turn it on upon request. Even then, it didn't work. Glad we didn't have an emergency.
The staff in both the hotel and the restaurant were frosty at best. The receptionist couldn't have been less friendly.

I felt sorry for all the seniors on the bus tour. No lift, treacherous stairs and grungy rooms. Shameful.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bliss3333

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, however I do feel that your review is incorrect in a number of points.

We do believe our rooms are not over styled but our blue tartan throws and scatter cushions enhance our rooms decor and furniture. All heating in the room is controlled by the individual guest and further heaters can be requested for those not used to our climate in the highlands.

We do have a lift at the hotel and is in perfect working order, this is situated next to our main staircase. I am sorry if your daughter slipped on the stairs but I have checked our banisters and none would cause splniters if used, I have also checked if this was reported in our accident book and can find no record of this.

Unfortunately in this area (not just in the hotel) mobile phone signal is rare in places, our telephones in the room can be opened to outside calls by requesting this at reception, I am sorry if you experianced further problems with your signal but this is our of the hotels hands.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'm having to spend 2 weeks in a terrible hotel that charges 2-3 times the average 4* hotel price and receive an ensuite that's a converted cupboard, the shower is so small there's no standing room for a 6 foot tall man without putting your head through a hole in the ceiling. The walls are paper thin and you can hear every noise from other guests 3 doors down the corridor. The wifi that's provided doesn't work in large sections of the hotel and the reception staff basically say 'tough luck'. The bar is overpriced and the facilities are non existent

• Stayed: October 2012
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, however I would ask that as you are still staying at the hotel you at least give us a chance to answer your comments directly, I am sure I have spoken to you regarding our WiFi and explained that Free WiFi is available in all our lounges for your conveniance. I am also sure that if you contact the senior member of your team with any complaints you may have he will be happy to address any of them with me in order for us to help make your stay a pleasant one.

I look forward to meeting you at reception.

General Manager.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spent 4 nights here as a birthday treat for hubby, it was booked through the website for Co-op members, offering "cheap short break deals, 2 nights BB at a 3 star hotel". We booked one of these a couple of years ago at the Crerar Ben Wyvis Hotel in Strathpeffer, it was excellent in every way, so based on that we booked 2 consecutive, 2 night specials at the Craiglynne, but this hotel turned out not to be excellent in any way. The room (no.111) was the smallest double room I've ever stayed in and the window looked out into a dead void with just walls covered in drain pipes for a view on 3 sides and opposite, just a few feet away, were the windows of a corridor which meant anyone walking along it looked directly into our room if the blind was not closed, so we kept the blind closed all the time to block out the "view" and for privacy, it was a bit like staying in a cave! This alone wasn't the main reason I gave this place a low rating, we didn't intend spending much time in the room anyway, we were there to enjoy the great outdoors. Other gripes include grubby walls in a poor state of decoration, all the furniture was shabby/and or broken, the wardrobe doors were falling off (and there was hardly enough space to open them anyway), the sliding door to the bathroom was prone to stick, there was a very high step which had to be strode over to get into the bathroom, the taps all dripped, the shower was a lukewarm dribble, sealant was peeling off, sanitary-ware cracked and chipped, shabby decor - you get the picture. The room was unbearably hot the whole time, owing to some large-bore hot-water pipes running around 3 walls at floor level and one running up the bathroom wall, which, of course, we had no means of controlling, we certainly never needed to use the electric heaters and we had the windows open all the time. I hear you asking why we didn't complain or ask to change rooms - well - the hotel seemed pretty full, plus when we walked past other rooms as they were being cleaned and the doors were left open, they all looked pretty shabby and broken-down too, plus there was so much to complain about it would have taken up half our stay listing it all, so we decided to make the most of it and have a moan on here when we got back!
The breakast wasn't bad, but the way it was organised could have been better. We had one evening meal at the hotel, which again wasn't bad, but the very large, high and very brightly lit dining room made it feel very cold and impersonal (although the actual temperature in here was just right). The lounge/reception area was not particularly welcoming either, for the same reasons. There was a little bar which did have subtle lighting and felt quite cosy, but that was because it was very small and could only accommodate a few people.
Staff were pleasant enough and levels of cleanliness were generally good, although our wash basin wasn't cleaned at all during our stay, which was odd, as the WC and bath were! There were a lot of problems associated with it being an old building, another reviewer mentions the creaking floors, and our bathroom floor sloped steeply from one side to the other. The bed was very comfortable. There were biscuits on our tea tray when we arrived (just one pack of two), but once we had eaten them no more appeared!, which did seem very mean, even cheap B&B's keep rooms well supplied with biscuits. I did not feel we had good value for money at £59 per night for 2, so how anyone who paid the prices displayed on the reception desk would feel I really can't imagine.
Do I need to mention that we won't be going back? This hotel is a very bad advertisement for the Crerar chain, especially as we know they can do better, the 3 star rating is not deserved in this instance, whereas at the other hotel of theirs we stayed in it was well deserved - a great shame.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/madam

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your departure from the hotel, I am only sorry that you did not give us the chance to correct some of the faults you felt you had with our hotel during your stay.

The hotel does have 82 bedrooms and due to the layout of our old building not all our rooms do have views of our gardens, I have checked the room you were in and although I can see why some of your comments were made I do not believe all are justified. I am sure that given the chance we could have offered you a room that you could have been happy with.

I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast and dinner in our hotel, we do have a lovely cozy bar area and most of our guests also enjoy relaxing on our lounge area after dinner.

Again I am sorry that you did not speak to us during your stay as I am sure we could have made your stay a pleasant one if we had had the chance.

Witrh regards

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very nice hotel and beautiful garden. Pity the room we had was very basic and with no real shower facilities. If an emergency occurred within the room it stated that we should phone reception, but how could we as no telephone was in the room, and next to no reception via mobile phones. Dinner on the first night was included in the 5pm deal, but needed to go to a restaurant after we had ours to feel we had something to eat. Breakfast also was not much better sad to say. After this experience we would most certainly never return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to your recent stay with us. I wish you had taken the time to speak to me as it makes our investigation so much easier. All rooms should have a telephone and as we do not know your name we will check all rooms to see who is missing.
Again if the food was so bad it is very difficult to fix after the event. Over the period you stayed with us we served over 100 dinners and breakfasts and never received one complaint from any of the guests.
As mentioned it is so much easier to deal with a guest who is not satisfied on a one to one basis rather than through tripadvisor. Normally we can rectify any problems there and then.
Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Newton Muthu Hotel
#5 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Ben Mhor Hotel
Ben Mhor Hotel
#8 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey

Been to The Craiglynne Hotel? Share your experiences!