“desperate midden of a room”

The Craiglynne Hotel
Reviewed May 4, 2011

On arrival given room 115 for a two night break.First impression walking down corridor to room most doors had visible marking round lock and door facing,our room door looked like it had been jemmied open several times,is there a security problem here?Room was small and very hot,outlook was to service area to rear overlooking compost heap and old furniture in back grass area.All flat areas in room had not been dusted in a very long time(pictures,wardrobes,etc.),1 foot long cobwebs from roof and inside lamp shades.Central lampshade diffuser was full of dead flys,moths and dust.At r/hand side of curtains someone had cleaned their diry hand on them,disgustingWe experienced loud noise in room from diswashers in kitchen directly below our room,coupled with fridge doors slamming,dustbin lid noise,and extraction fans continuing untill with could stand it no longer at 21.30 we phoned reception from mobile phone as room phone did not work.No joy foreign person told us all people in charge had gone home wait untill next morning. Bathroom shower did not drain properly(rubbish was left in shwer cubical) and hot tap in sink made howling noise.Next day we let reception know of room problems they full understood it was the dishwasher and then asked if we wanted to change rooms!!! We settled for the only alternate room available a twin.It was larger clean a in better decorative order .Breakfasts were adequate apart from undercooked fried eggs on both days and vegetarian sasage cold inside.Evening meals could not be faulted or the service for both meal times.We observed a less than 25% occupancy and it beggars belief that we were given the worst room in the hotel or was it?

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to your recent stay with us.
I am not going to try and make excuses for the original room you were given suffice to say that it should not have been in the state it was and because of this we have revised our cleaning schedule for the bedrooms and the checking of them so this situation does not arise again.
My apoligises for this situation.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

On arrival hotel looked quite impressive. Booked in for one night D,B&B however not able to get into our room until 3 p.m. and the bar didnt open until 5 p.m. Went to the Garth Hotel in the village. One small glass of wine, a pint of lager, 2 packets of peanuts and 1 packet of crisps cost £9.50! Walked back to Craiglynne and booked in. The room was nothing special although I think we had one of the better rooms with a nice bay window and lovely view. Went down for dinner and it just got worse. The food was terrible. Pate tasteless, pork dry and chewy with a gravy that could have been made from granules, an apple sauce which could have been from a jar, mashed potatoes which reminded me of my school days, one new potato each and a tastless portion of vegetables, followed by a very stodgy apple and rhubard crumble. Breakfast not much better. Full scottish breakfast similar standard to dinner the night before. Watered down orange juice. Glad we were only staying one night. Will definitely not be back,

1  Thank AnneScot
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel. You will pobably have noted that we have had three similar reviews to yours regards the food. When we receive such reviews we do scrutinize what we are serving and i have to confess after our first review a few days ago i have watched carefully and discussed with the chef the food that we produce and put out to our guests. I am cetainly not seeing what you have described. We recieve many guest's comments on the hotel comment card with favourable views on the food we serve however on these three occassions this certainly would not give that impression.
All comments from guests are received with zest and we do investigate areas where our customers have been less than complimentary.
I am sorry that you felt your need to comment in such a way on tripadvisor as said in previous responses i would much prefer to discuss these points on a one to one basis with our guests. Regards

Reviewed April 30, 2011

HORRIBLE!

This place gets ONE star because of the lovely girl on reception.

As for the food, you'll wish you're in a Turkish prison. It's horrible... cast your mind back to Britain in the era of the nightmarish guest house landlady... that's the kind of bad we're talking.

Haven't got the picture yet? Imagine what you would serve in a retirement home for war criminals. Then charge 1.5 times London prices.

The sausages were more toast than sausage, the steaks were more gristle than cow... If "punch in the face" were on the menu I would have ordered that and been happier with my choice.

Honestly, the look on our waiter's face when he took the plates away and asked "did you enjoy that?" He knew the answer. He knew it and was ashamed.

The hotel website lies about almost everything. There ISN'T free wifi throughout, you can only get it if you sit in the reception area that looks like the estate sale for a dozen vicars' wives.

And the dining room that people allegedly "book for weddings"? Ghosts wouldn't haunt it.

This is my first EVER bad review of anything but I have travelled the world and -all evidence to the contrary- I'm pretty low maintenance. It would take a LOT for me to write a scathing review.

The Craiglynne Hotel is a lot.

DO. NOT. STAY. HERE.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2011

I receievd your comments today regards your recent stay and am not going to make excuses suffice to say that i was obviously deeply concerned in the content. All the points you highlighted will be investigated however we were extremely busy on the night concerned {i am not making excuses) and recieved many comment cards to the contrary to your comments. I wish you had mentioned the points verbally before you left as you were so disappointed.
My apologises for your experience.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

Grantown on Spey is a pretty little village struggling to survive but is not being helped by the fact that most of the hotels offer no trade other than coffee between the hours of 2pm and 5pm. I stayed at the Craiglynne Hotel two days ago and was disappointed that the hotel was really tired in both its decor and ambience. My double room had a bed that was positioned against the right hand side wall which as a sleeper of the right side made it extremely difficult to get in and out of the bed. The shower and toilet were off the room accessed by a sliding door and the wash basin was situated in the bedroom. The shower resembelled a caravan shower cubicle with the shower head being so low that anyone over 5ft 3in would touch it with their head.
The water was luke warm in the hot tap at the sink even though there was a notice telling you to be cautious as the water wasExtrermely HOT!
Dinner was a choice from a limited menu and the al a carte option only offered three steaks as an alternative main course choice.
Breakfast was okay as hotel breakfasts go but I was rather surprised that I was served half a slice of black pudding and half a slice of haggis, I don't know if that was normal practice or the kitchen was merely running short of the products that morning.
It seems such a shame that Crerar have allowed this hotel to fall behind standard as it could be such an asset to a village that is struggling. I have stayed in other Crerar Hotels in Scotland and have enjoyed the experience but was dissapointed in this instance.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2011

Many thanks for the time you have taken to respond to your recent visit with us. Something i have never understood even after 30+ years is if you have a number of issues regards your stay at a hotel that people should take 5 minutes out of their time to speak to the management rather than have a response through the internet. I am sure we could have rectified a number of points that you have highlighted. On saying all of this i am extremely sorry that your stay with us was below standard and we will investigate all points highlighted.
Again my thanks for responding.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

We had dinner here, as it was a long day. I haven't had a meal as bad as this in a very long while, which is inexcusable in itself, but at the prices they charge is extortionate. For a similar price in London, I'd expect a very good meal, not the horrific plate set in front of me here.

For breakfast, we were expecting similarly low quality of food. These expectations turned out to be absurdly high. Crerar's literature gushes that "It’s a matter of local pride that our chef hand-picks high quality ingredients sourced close-by whenever possible
(transforming them into mouth-watering menus), ".... What was a tomato had been sucked of all it's moisture and left to wither before arriving on my plate. The sausage may not have legally been allowed to be called one, and I would be shocked if it contained above 10% meat, had the taste and consistency of wet sawdust.

There is a massive difference between how this hotel describes itself on its literature and the experience given. Their 'extensive a la carte menu' consisted solely of three options of steak, 'intimacy defines your dining experience' turned out to be a meal in a cavernous room decorated with all the charm of a 1930's school hall. A double room turned out to be a room with two twin beds pushed together.

I feel swindled having stayed at this hotel and would recommend nobody to stay there.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
1  Thank jameslondonw4

Many thanks for your comments on your recent stay with us and i am really disappointed that you did not take the time to speak to myself considering the level of dis-satisfaction that you experienced during your short stay.
We are always striving to improve our service and facilities to our guests and due to your high dis-satisfaction i would really have spoken to rather than answer through tripadvisor.
I will certainly investigate all the points you have highlighted and discuss with the relivant staff concerned.
I am really sorry that your experince was so tainted during your stay and my apoligises for this.

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Although the main season hadn't begun, the hotel staff were definitely ready to warmly welcome guests.Jan, food and beverage manager, made sure that everyone was well taken care of in the dining room and bar. Food was great with a selection to suit every taste.Rooms and beds were clean and comfortable and a great lounge to socialise in after a day of touring.The occasional evening entertainment was most enjoyable and suitable for all ages.
We would love to return to this charming highland hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to your recent visit and i am delighted everything was to your liking. Jan is definitely an asset to the hotel and we receive many good comments on both him and the rest of the staff. It has been a long winter and we are just happy to be back into the season. I do hope that you will return sometime in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We also were there for the Rod weekend but our experience was somewhat different.
It does seem to be a theme here some people give really great reviews others are somewhat more circumspect.

On the plus side we found the staff to be excellent, service is of a high standard. It would seem that this is a priority for Crerar and all credit to them for that.

The food was fine for what we played. Think decent pub carvery and you wont be to far away.
Much of it is pre prepared. At breakfast we found the orange juice to be very watery and the scrambled egg and salmon could have done with a bit more salmon.

We also enjoyed the Rod Stewart Tribute so full marks for that.

Our twin room was fine albeit a bit on the small side. The en-suite though left a lot to be desired. There was black mould on the tiles in the shower area. This does seem to be the experience of a lot of other people here. Our sink was also cracked in two places so not very appealing.
Our real problem was being woken up at first light by the pigeons which seem to be resident on the roof. It could be that our room was worse in this regard as it had a flat roof whereas some of the other rooms may have benefited from a loft space to dull the noise. I'm not really sure what the management could be expected to do about this. We suggested Pie. I sleep fairly heavily and am not hypersensitive to the slightest noise.

There is great potential here and from some of the other reviews here it would seem that its all down to the room you get. If I knew the room was better and more importantly quieter I wouldn't hesitate to go back.
If you do get the right room, then you will find yourself in a decent value for money hotel in a great location.
Lets hope Crerar spend the money here if you want to see what they are capable of try the Golf view.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Craiglynne, Manager at The Craiglynne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

Many thanks for your constructive points regards your recent stay with us. We have over the years tried to eradicate the pigeon problem with netting and special devices on guttering and pipes however they are persist creatures. On saying this we continually are addressing this area. I will certainly investigate the mentioned bathroom and will put right. We do have a rolling programme in place to address this sort of area and are always trying to improve what facilities we have. It would be very useful if you could contact me direct and let me know which room you actually stayed in however we will get our housekeeping department to report back any rooms that are in this situation.
Again my thanks for taking thetime to review your recent visit
Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantown-on-Spey
Grant Arms Hotel
Ben Mhor Hotel
Ben Mhor Hotel
#8 of 9 in Grantown-on-Spey
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel

Been to The Craiglynne Hotel? Share your experiences!