“Average”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We visited on a Saturday night and booked in advance as the reviews were so good. Starters were indeed very good with a good choice. It was quiet when we arrived and the service was very good but by the time our main course arrived it was very busy and the service went downhill rapidly. Main couses were average had much better. I decided to have a sweet but waited so long to be served my husband eventually had to up and ask for the dessert menu. This menu has a good choice or so it would seem as the waited came to tell me there were only three chices available so by this time I had given up!! Our meal in general was ok but had very much better and would not go back. Sorry to say as the reviews look great maybe they were short staffed.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Called in without a booking on a Friday night in summer holiday season. Although almost empty at 5.30pm, place was filling fast as we left. Always a good sign.
First impression was of a tired but clean decor. Wide ranging menu at prices around £8-£13 for mains. We were very impressed with the poppadom dips - a wider than usual range and all so tasty. We both had a 'house speciality' for our mains. I loved the venison dish - so much of it - and somehow the meat was still slightly gamey, yet beautifully spiced and absolutely scrummy. I would have licked the plate had it been socially acceptable!
We could not fit in a dessert, but left feeling full and looking forward to a return visit.
After our bad experience in the China Town restaurant down the road, last autumn, my advice would be stick to the Sylhet - you won't regret it!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We avoid unknown Indian restaurants in small towns as they often serve highly coloured tasteless curry "soup".

The Sylhet on the other hand is excellent. It was very busy so booking advised.

The starters and main courses were large. They curries had rich sauces, were well presented, very good rice. We left very happy and very full !

Highly recommended

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Having had a couple of bad experiences in local chip shops we decided to have a takeaway meal from this indian on the main street in granton. The order was not quick but this only empahsised the true freshness of the food right down to the crisp popadoms. Every meal was freshly cooked and delicious although the colourings were a bit mad with a very red masalla and green garlic naan - this only added to the adventure!! We would definatley visit again - no we WILL definatley visit again on our next trip to granton with the caravan!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were on holiday staying at the local caravan park and, being a lover of Indian food, I thought I would try the local Indian. First impressions on entering the premises was nothing to excite you. The staff though we're very friendly and made you feel welcome. I ordered a chicken tikka masala and a chicken jalfrezi, peshwari nan and pilau rice. Wow. The food was the best I have tasted in quite some time. The flavours, the quantity of chicken and general presentation was first class. I went back 2 days later and received the same first class quality and was greeted with the same friendly reception. When I go back to Grantown, I will be back at Sylhet Brasserie.

1  Thank Grampcat