“A place that made our holiday remarkable”

Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
London, United Kingdom
“A place that made our holiday remarkable”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had such a great welcome when we walked in at night on the 1st Feb. The receptionist was so friendly and approachable. The location is only couple of minutes away from the seafront. Public parking facilities available. The rooms were so well maintained, spacious and luxurious. Throughout our 2 nights stay, the staff member have been very nice and polite.We had a great comfortable time. Just felt like being at home.
Some misunderstanding happened concerning payment at check out but was resolved with great professionalism. However this could not overcome our lovely stay. Very recommended and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: A place not to miss if you want to have a great/relaxing time.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I used this seaside hotel for an open-ended trip during the off-season (February).

After telephoning this hotel on a Monday afternoon I was told that they had several rooms available at a rate of £40 and it would be OK to just turn up and book one. On arrival three hours later the somewhat frosty evening receptionist said that they do not have rooms at this rate and that they would not be able to offer anything better than their internet rate of £60 (she did not actually quote a room rate).

I left the hotel and within minutes booked a room online DIRECTLY THROUGH THE HOTEL'S OWN WEBSITE for £48, returned and collected my key. No proper explanation was offered although the receptionist did wave a computer printout at me showing that there was nothing available at less than £60 which I thought was odd.

The next morning I telephoned reception asking whether it would be possible to extend my stay for an additional night but was told that they were fully booked. Whilst in the process of booking a further night online (there WERE rooms available) I received telephone call saying that they had just had a cancellation and that I could extend my stay. Once again - a little odd to say the least. I did however book a third night without a problem.

On the positive side:

- Very large rooms
- Clean
- Great breakfast
- Fantastic location

Negatives:

- Reception unmanned on several occasions
- Where two or more staff were seen together, personal conversations seemed to take priority over engaging with customers
- No lift

In short, an average seaside hotel although a little overpriced during the off-season. Would be fantastic with better staff training/management and a proper booking/pricing system. The place did have a feeling of indifference about it. Whether this review elicits a response from the management remains to be seen!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Parker65, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we take all comments good or bad seriously. I will be investigating why you were not offered our internet price by our receptionists as they know that this rate that must be offered at all times. It could be that their documentation had not been updated which is obviously our fault and will be addressed immediately.
We pride ourselves on good customer service which I expect my guests to receive at all times so I will be talking to our reception team and doing some re-training with them to ensure this situation does not happen again.
I am sorry your stay with us did not meet your expectations but hope that you will stay with us again in the future so we can have the chance to show you how good we usually are!

Kim Edwards
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I only stayed for one night as we attended a function next to the hotel. As it was Mid-week the hotel was very quiet very few guest. The hotel needs some refurbishment as areas were a bit run down. Our double room was adequate, but was very cold as the heating didn't come on until 1630 hrs., however they did bring us an electric heater. Kettle, tea, coffee, hairdryer, etc. is provided in the room, and so was a TV. The bed was comfortable, but I could have done with more than the two small pillows provided. The bathroom needed work doing; the plumbing needed to be looked that. The hot water was very, very hot, but the tap didn't function correctly. The shower was difficult to operate either very hot or cold. In the morning the toilet wouldn't flush. The towels were very thin and needed replacing. The staff were informed about the plumbing situation. We were in room 117.
The staff were very friendly, attentive, and always smiling. The Christmas decorations were well laid out. The bar area was comfortable. The ‘Below Decks’ restaurant was nicely decorated and the breakfast 'full English' was plentiful and freshly cooked. There was also various cereals, fruit juices, fruit, yoghurts, toast. I think the breakfast opening times were short 0700hrs. to 0900 hrs. but the waitress was excellent and friendly.
I would stay there again, as I'm sure the hotel will be refurbished for the summer season. It is an ideal location for the family as the seafront and the attractions are about 200 metres away. Ideal for disabled people as there is a chairlift to the 'Below Decks' restaurant.

Room Tip: Ensure the plumbing is good and the towels are not thin.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malcolm D
kent
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were in a group for trip to gt yarmouth. Hotel tired looking, bedrooms need attention and updating. Dining room was brilliant along with the excellent food and staff. Entertainment was great. A good place to stay, would definitely go again.

Room Tip: No lift to rooms. Check heating works in room 305
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, England
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. My fault for booking a TWIN room online but the receptionist changed it to a double, I booked it with breakfast. The hotel is located near the seafront where there are lots of attractions that are presently closed for the winter but we enjoyed our peaceful walks. Our room was on the third floor and there is no lift in this old building thus plenty of exercise. Our room was clean and reasonable for the star rating and price. Free WIFI was excellent as the signal was strong. The room had a Kettle for tea & coffee, hairdryer and television. Although there were road works outside there was ample free parking on the street.

We had our evening meals at the hotel in the ‘Below Decks’ restaurant, there was plentiful choice and we got a 10% discount as hotel guests. The restaurant has a fairly modern décor but some of the seats ‘sink.’

In the morning Breakfast was served in ‘Below Decks’ it was plentiful with various cereals, fruit juices, fruit, yoghurts and cooked bacon & eggs etc. Hot food was self-service on the first day but served on the second as there were fewer guests – makes economic sense. However the time period for breakfast is 7am to 9am during weekdays which I believe should be extended to 10am. Probably due to this time limitation there is a high demand to use the bathrooms thus causing hot water to be luke warm.

Full marks to the staff as they were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and myself stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights with a prebooked party (and so had party rates for room breakfasts and 3 course dinner on both nights. Staff helpful (especially Wayne who seemed to do everything including rescuing me from being locked in bathroom as lock broke!). Food was very good breakfasts all freshly cooked and lots of it with usual additional breakfast fare (juices, yoghurts, rolls cereals etc etc). Dinners were also good value. We go to various hotels with the group and everyone was very very happy with this hotel. Rooms were spacious although there was a problem with the water which meant cold baths/showers. Good overall value. We are rebooking in 2 years time.

Room Tip: There are no lifts and lots of stairs for 3 floors. These are steep and narrow tread so if you have...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We decided to take our two grandchildren away for a couple of days during half term break and went for the Comfort Hotel in Gt Yarmouth. We were not expecting 5 Star because we were not paying that kind of money - but what we did find was very pleasing, spacious family room, clean and perfectly functional Bathroom, and basically everything we needed for a comfortable stay.
Breakfast was excellent, with so much choice, and food of good quality and nicely cooked.

Would we stay again ? - most definitely.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family