“Comfortable Comfort”

Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I feel a tad bad about writing this review as the Comfort Hotel was very nice, very comfortable, the food was nice, the staff were welcoming. So you'd think 10 out of 10, but sadly not.

When I stay ini hotels I often think "I'd love to come back here with friends or relatives" but not here. It was really nice I must stress this, but it just didnt leaving a lasting imprerssion.

Cant say anymore.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ian D
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Hello Ian,
I see that travel, hospitality and food are all very interesting to you as a regular contributor to Tripadvisor and I think you have been very fair in your overview of our hotel - as you have with all the other venues you have visited and experienced. Thank you for this.
I'm pleased that you found our hotel comfortable, accommodating and friendly with good food etc. Naturally I'm a little disappointed that we didn't quite hit every mark with you but I am pleased that we have scored well with you. It's a real pity that we were not quite "memorable" however I believe that you feel you had a good stay with at the Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth.
Thanks again and Seasons Greetings to you.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Myself and a friend travelled to Yarmouth to visit some friends living nearby. I booked the hotel online and found it to be a very reasonable price, especially as it was mid July we were staying. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very smiley and very lovely lady at reception who helped us out with where to park as it was so busy. By the time we got back to the hotel after parking she had everything ready for us to go straight up to our room without any fuss.
The room is a little dated but for us we just needed somewhere to sleep as we were off partying for the night. We didnt have taxi numbers and again the lady was happy to help. When we returned after our night out there was a man working reception and even though he had to deal with 2 drunken girls at early hours he was helpful and chatty and made sure we got our key ok and knew where we were going.
Breakfast was brilliant and there were so many options available to cater for everyones needs.

Overall, a really good experience and would definately stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LauraMillerB
SKC H, Operations Director at SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you LauraMillerB for this truly wonderful review. The team at this hotel consider themselves as "family" and we try to welcome our guests into what we consider to be a true home from home. I am very pleased that you experienced quality, friendliness and professionalism and I very much hope that you will come and stay with us again.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have just had a 3 night stay at the hotel and this was the 2nd time this year. Although you could say that the bedroom decor was a little dated it was perfectly adequate and clean, The staff were friendly and a good breakfast is served.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
SKC H, Director of Sales & Operations at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Hello David W, Many thanks for your complimentary review. The most valuable asset we have are the staff at the Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth and, from a management point of view, we are both pleased and proud of every member of our team.
Thank you also for your observations about the bedrooms. This will be looked into and discussed however, I am very pleased that you found the facilties clean and acceptable for your purpose.
Breakfast is always good at this hotel. We find that our relaxed style of service works well and we do pride ourselves on the quality of our locally sourced produce.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had booked the function room of the hotel for a regular monthly get together. We had an attendance of 25-30 people for the two functions we held here, but after our Halloween party, and complaints about attire, all future events were cancelled.

No compromise, no second chance, no understanding that it was a Halloween event and hence people would be wearing costume, just kicked out after complaints, despite us hoping to make the hotel our regular home. Apparently complaints were made straight to director level. Is this how you run your business? Kicking out a regular event after a complaint by a guest? I would have thought a hotel in the 21st century would like to be seen as tolerant, open and understanding to all, especially the local community. Unfortunately with The Comfort Hotel, after a truly warm and friendly start, is far from it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karen M
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hello Karen M. Firstly, and as ever, thank you for taking the time to express your feelings through this Tripadvisor review. I am genuinely sorry that you and your colleagues were asked not to return for what could well have been a regular meeting. Sadly, we received a number of complaints from other guests, some with young families and these have to be taken very seriously.
To be fair, the type of gatherings that you hold are not to everyone's taste. I don't think we were really that aware of just how some people would be dressed and I am sorry that we are unable to continue to welcome you.
I am also sorry that you misinterpreted your discussion with our General Manager. These situations are never easy and we certainly never meant to offend, however, rejection and negative issues are difficult to communicate.
We are of the opinion that we run our business professionally and with the utmost respect to all. First and foremost we are a family friendly hotel and we must show consideration to all our guests - some who are very young and we hope that you can appreciate our position on this.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had not planned to stay at the Comfort Hotel in Great Yarmouth but had booked a room with the Southern on the recommendation of colleagues. Unfortunately my train was late coming into Norwich and I lost the room after an unpleasant discourse with the land lady. Essentially stranded in a city I did not know, close to midnight and with a meeting in the morning, I called up my fiancé to see if he could secure me a room over the internet. On arriving at the Comfort Hotel, the receptionist was unable to find my booking- unsurprising as it had been made only about half an hour earlier but was very helpful and agreed to sort it out in the morning and just assign me a room for the time being. Initial impressions of the hotel itself were not too favourable, it looked a little run down and dated -although quite frankly at this point I would have stayed anywhere- but once in my room I was very happy with it; it was clean, a decent size and the bed was very comfortable! The shower was not great, it took a bit to get the balance between hot and cold but it was workable.

Breakfast was not included in the price and in all honesty I was a little bit apprehensive of paying £7.96 for what I expected to be a greasy spoon fry up but felt I had little choice due to my time commitments, so went for it and was pleasantly surprised! The breakfast area is rather unexpectedly modern and the breakfast choices were excellent. There were a wide variety of cereals on offer as well as delicious miniature pastries and croissants in addition to a selection of cooked breakfast items.

I allowed some extra time for check-out to allow for any complications with the booking but that turned out to be entirely unnecessary. The lady at the reception was very friendly and I was promptly presented for a bill for my breakfast only. They also allowed me to leave my bags at the hotel so I could pick them up later.

I would probably give it 3.5 stars if I could just because it's not quite on the same level as some other hotels I would rate at that level but to be fair, their great breakfast, helpful staff and last minute accommodation probably warrant the 4 stars! Great for a couple of nights but not the stuff of romantic getaways!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed for one night and didn't expect much but we were both pleasantly surprised. Fair price, comfortable stay, great breakfast and the customer service was excellent.

We were able to park right outside and there was a casino just across the road.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Hello Kevm6, Many thanks for your positive comments. Our objective is to try to offer the best possible value as often as possible. In today's world prices vary in accordance with supply and demand and indeed the season in areas like Great Yarmouth, but I'm very pleased to see you believe you received good value.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Comfort Hotel in Great Yarmouth struck me at first as a little dated, and a very stereotypical old fashioned seaside town hotel.
In fairness to it though, the staff were friendly, the rooms had been reasonably updated, and the downstairs eating area used for for breakfast was a very modern pleasant surprise.
There was a wedding on when we were there last week, but I didnt have any adverse affect on our stay at all.
It was very close to the Seafront - a few hundred yards. I thought breakfast was very good. Lots of nice cooked food and Continental style too, as well as pastries etc. The staff in the breakfast area were excellent, both the man and woman working in there on Sunday morning were very attentive and quick to ensure we had all we needed - top marks to them.
Only one little thing annoyed my wife and I : at 5.45am Sunday someone cleaning up from the previous night threw all of the empty bottles from the previous night into the bin/dumpster right at the back of the hotel - woke us up right away, as Im sure it did everyone else - any common sense at all ??
Overall though, ok for a night or two. I couldnt spend a week there, but I think that more reflects Yarmouth in general.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Jackopeterborough,
Thank you first and foremost for your positive comments about our hotel, your stay and our food. I am also grateful to you for your observations about the emptying of refuse in the early hours. This issue has been addressed and hopefully our customer experience will improve because of this.
As a company we look to learn from our customer comments both good and bad so your feedback is very important and much appreciated.
We hope to see you again!