“Old, Dated, Overpriced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Newark
“Old, Dated, Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here for business for 2 nights, my first impression upon entering the Hotel was.."damn, what a S**t hole" . However, here is a more objective description:

The staff were good, very friendly and helpful, the Hotel is old, worn and grubby, the bar is abysmal, too depressing to drink in there! The clientele were old wrinklies on bus tours who must have paid a lot less than I did for a room! The restaurant was actually okay, a bit hot and stuffy as its at basement level. Breakfast was okay, not as good as a Premier Inn/Beefeater.

My room was actually quite good, very large and spacious, the mattress felt a bit worn out and the shower was a bit on the low pressure side. But all in all it was about Premier Inn standard, no higher.

Overall, I think for the price they charge they need to spend some money rennovating the place.

I think if I was on that TV Show about B&Bs I would not have paid the full amount for sure!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, if you have to stay here ask for a family room as they are huge.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear ConradNewark - Thank you very much for taking the time to comment upon our hotel. We read and take notice of customer comments and try to use them to enhance future guests experience.
In this case we're sorry that our hotel didn't quite meet your expectations however, we are always looking to improve things. We've taken on board your comments and discussed them in our regular management meetings. Sorry to hear your comments about our bar area. Naturally we can't always please everyone but we do honestly try our best.
Our hotel is one of the few 3 star hotels that caters for all markets throughout the entire year. Many of our customers return time and time again and yes, we certainly do welcome members of the older generation as regardless of the price anyone pays, a guest is a guest and everyone receives the best level of service that we are able to offer.
Accompanying our senior guests we warmly welcome families with children of all ages and have an extensive corporate clientele as well.
It is important for us to acknowledge everyone who takes the time to write about their experiences as this is all part of how we learn and develop. Many thanks for your input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

stayed at the comfort hotel great yarmonth overnight sunday 19 monday 20 august 2012,checkin quick,rooms ok very clean, tea and coffee in rooms beds very comfortble ,breakfast was one of the best were had in a hotel,plenty of hot cooked food from buffett in the restaurant,my only negative note was the bar area very tired looking and very slow service barman[manager] was trying to do to many jobs

Room Tip: ask for twin room , you get a bigger room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hi dukeboy2 - thanks very much for the comments. I'm pleased that, overall, you had a good experience with us. Very happy to hear that breakfast was good for you and I also thank you for your comments about our bar area. On that night I believe we were a person down (at very short notice) and I'm sorry our service was a little slow on this occasion.
garethgas@aol.com
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here whilst in Great Yarmouth on business last month.
My reason for booking this hotel was it was the only one available, and boy can I see why!

Check in went smoothly and the staff were pleasant enough, however upon entering my room my heart sank.
It was extremely old fashioned, tired and dated in fact it was frankly depressing.

The room had a musty damp smell, there was no air conditioning and the shower was a bath tap with one of those telephone style shower hoses that never work.

My job takes me far and wide around Europe and the UK and this hotel was as bad as it gets.
I did not try the food, but youve guessed it the bar was awful and the beer ullage.

Next time for my £78 a night, Yes £78 I will stay in a basic B&B, It will feel like the Ritz in comparison!

In a nutshell, avoid this hotel like the plague....

Room Tip: give this place a definate miss!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank doofa1
SKCHotels, Manager at Comfort Hotel Great Yarmouth, responded to this review, February 1, 2015
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and your stay was not to our usual high standards. We are currently undergoing a programme of room refurbishment throughout the hotel including beds. We thank you for drawing these issues to our attention and we will be investigating the issues you mentioned. As a business we must acknowledge all comments both positive and negative to allow us to learn and to develop. I would like to thank you for your positive comments towards our staff and food.

Travelers are raving about these Great Yarmouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We booked online and there was some confusion about if breakfast was included. We wished to include breakfast if we paid but reception were not helpful. The room was very seedy but we did not expect much only paying £59 a night. We were also asked by a member of staff younger than myself if we had stayed in a hotel before!!!
The bed and furniture looked ok but sleeping on it was like an ironing board!!! Awful cheap quality!! The bathroom needed updating as did the decor. The water was hot!! There are signs all over stating be careful but finding the right temperature was like tuning a radio. After this long attempt I then found the water to turn boiling mid shower which actually hurt my back. Anyway I did not complain as we were too busy with enjoying our brief stay at Yarmouth.
The hotel is noisy! We was kept awake by drunks slamming doors all night till 5am. The kettle needed updating like old cheap thing and very tight with tea and coffee. No water we had to purchase from the bar.
In the hallway to our room there was washing spilt cross the floor of a wash room with washing machines. We were glad to leave this place and actually would have left in the night but we were over the limit.
When we left we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay. We were Too tired to complain without a cuppa inside us!!
The next day we was called on my phone to be told we had not turned up for our room we booked and we had to pay for this! We told them we had stayed to our disappointment and paid for this but they tried to make us pay again!!! Hilarious!
The only staff that was friendly was a cleaner who kindly directed to our room. The staff seemed happy but not very helpful and lazy. I am not use to this standard but you maybe. We won't be going back but we loved great Yarmouth. Other hotels look better than this, pay a little more elsewhere. We won't be staying again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank DeePoochie
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

hotel opposite the winter gardens,reception made us very welcome even though they had a wedding going on,rooms very large and clean,we had a king size and a single,large clean bathroom,and a single room again very clean and tidy,has a 24 hour bar,restaurant on site,which is extremely good,breakfast fantastic,if your visiting yarmouth you really cant go wrong with this hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ipswich,Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Have stayed twice now at this hotel and can honestly say this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff are great - nothing is too much trouble and the food in the restaurant is to die for. It is exceptional value for money and looking forward to another stay later in the year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
North Cornelly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

In my job as a coach driver , I have visited many Hotels. The first thing i have to say about this was from arrival to departure the whole coach load of people were all treated as individuals and at no time was anything too much from Adrian (The Manager) to the staff around him.
On arrival, the guests were told to leave the luggage and this would be brought to their rooms by the staff. The staff and I unloaded the luggage and I went and took the coach to the coach park. On arrival back at the hotel (15 mins) all luggage was at the correct rooms and all customers were happy.
We stayed here from Sunday to Friday and during all this time everything that was wanted by our customers was catered for.
This hotel catered for all from the very fit to the disabled which was very good to see.
Apart from a slight lack of entertainment in the evenings, which being at the seaside gives you plenty of evening entertainment outside, this was a fantastic Hotel.

I really cant give this hotel the praise it deserves as it was just too good.

To Adrian and the staff, Keep up the grand work and i'm looking forward to returning again soon in the future

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business