“Unforgivably rude”
Review of The Trevross

The Trevross
Ranked #45 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Generally when you book in for a B&B you expect to be given breakfast, however upon arrival we were told breakfast was across the road in a cafe, not in the place we were staying. The customer service was terrible, stood ringing the doorbell for a long time only to be greeted in a surly manor with very little enthusiasm. Also found that due to being a young adult the owners automatically assumed we wanted to go clubbing and firmly told us not to play loud music in the early hours. Personally I prefer not to be stereotyped due to my age and found I was treated with indifference and lack of respect because of my age.
We knew the shower and toilets were to be separate and were fully prepared for this, however there was no sink with the toilet which I found highly unhygienic. You then had to travel back to your room, opening doors and upstairs with dirty hands, think of the germs!!
We found countless stains, on the pillow, on the curtains, in the draws. During the night we were freezing and went to turn on the heater, but it kept flashing in quite an alarming manor. We felt entirely unsafe falling asleep with it on and so had to spend the night cold.
In the morning we decided to pack and leave a day early as we were unhappy, when we tried to address our concerns with the owners we found them to be very dismissive of our concerns, they didn't believe us about the heater and made countless pathetic excuses. Eventually my friend became quite worked up and became a bit frustrated and we decided to just leave, as we left the owner then called my friend a very inappropriate name before slamming the door behind us. However when family later phoned to complain about our treatment the owner then claimed someone else had said this and that my friend had called him a rude name (which I cannot repeat on here, needless to say it's a name neither of us would ever say as we hate it). Do not stay here, they do not deserve your money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Savagegrr
Gobold, Owner at The Trevross, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

It is a shame when people over stretch, do not read what they are booking and then try to get a refund. As for some of the comment made, out CCTV shows a different story. The "comment" referred to was not at the guest it was said in the office to a friend on the phone.

We have no prejudices, we have a lot of groups and young people. We always ask as we have contacts with many clubs and free and vouchers and also like to make sure people go to the good and safe places.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week and it was exactly what I thought it would be, clean, simple, cheap and near to where I wanted to be. I enjoyed the room only tariff and got my meals at many of the nearby cafes that serve bacon rolls etc. Equally, there were a few days when I took the MacDonald's breakfast option which is a 5 minute walk away. The lack of en-suite facilities was not a problem as the shower rooms throughout the hotel were always available and I never found myself waiting. A bit noisy at night with people returning to their hotels and the seagulls were a bit noisy in the mornings but that's not the hotel's fault. All in all, excellent VFM and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a 3rd floor room which was upa alot of stairs. No lift
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Peter J
Gobold, Owner at The Trevross, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

So glad you read about us and chose and got what you expected. We enjoyed your company and hope we see you again next time there is a magicians conference or even if you just fancy good ole Great Yarmouth again.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

stayed for 5 nights it was last minute booking so i only paid 98 pound not that i would want to pay much more. basic single room was decorated very nice and kept very clean on a daily basis which was great. not over friendly i must say but polite so no big deal. only thing i would say when i come to leave and hand my keys in no goodbye or nothing as they were busy on the phone so i just got the thumbs up not very professional i dont think.

Room Tip: this hotel i think on my opinion is ok for the odd night but dont expect any luxurys if you do then...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Glad you had a good stay and found us clean and value for money. We did wave as you left but as we were on the phone couldn't get to say goodbye properly and by then you had left.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

If you want somewhere to stay for a night and need a central location then it is a good place. To stay any longer, you will need to take into account the one shared toilet and one shared bathroom.
By no fault of the hotel, the noise when people were coming out of the pubs at night was horrendous. I was woken up about 5 times in the one night.
Our TV had no sound so couldn't drown out the outside noise with that either.
Noise from the guest in the next room was a bit much too.
Even though it is a bed and breakfast, no breakfast was offered and not mentioned if it was available at extra cost. I don't think we would have been willing to pay extra though.
The free car park around the back of the hotel was awful. I didn't want to leave my car there in case of any damage. It was filthy and I didn't feel safe going around there on my own. I was just thankful that my car was in one piece the next day.
We only wanted a cheap place to stay for one night. I never normally stay in budget places so it was a bit of a shock! I wouldn't stay again. But then I wouldn't go to Yarmouth again!

Room Tip: I don't think any of the rooms are brilliant but try and get one around the back which could be...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NinaG21
Gobold, Owner at The Trevross, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

As you mention it is no fault of ours that being near the sea front can be noisy. We try to point out that if you want to be near it can be like this. It is important when booking anything to check.

We have on previous responses explained that we are working with the local authorities to improve the rear car park and hope to have more improvements for next season. Already our CCTV and lighting systems has been improved there. And as you say your car was fine.

We wish people would ask while staying about problems. we have more than one shower and toilet, it is sign posted inside, we offer breakfast and we will fix almost anything we can if you tell us.!!

As for not liking Great yarmouth well its a bit marmite, you like it or you don't!!!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and that was enough. Although the room was decorated nicely, it was probably the only nice thing about the hotel. Thought we had booked an ensuite but we turned up to a shared shower and toilet, neither of which were very clean. We weren't given a parking permit and the car park behind the hotel wasn't very appealing, so we had to get up early every morning to move the car. The walls of the hotel must have been very thin as we could hear everything going on around us. We were very quickly shown to our room on arrivaland then the owner hurried off. Although it is very cheap, I would only use this hotel as a base and go to the surrounding areas instead.

• Stayed: September 2012
Gobold, Owner at The Trevross, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Area you sure you got the right place?? We are not ensuite at all. Our website clearly states this as does all the bookings agencies we use. Therefore it should not be possible to book a en-suite room? can you let me know where you booked it in case someone has it wrong. And we will get it changed. thank you

Reviewed September 8, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE... The toilets and shower are seperate to your room... Somewhere down a dingy hall. The toilets are unisexed?!? And has NO washing facilities in the toilet... The shower... Well I wouldn't put my dogs muddy feet in there.
The 'bedroom' well it had burn marks on the floor, plaster coming off the wall, a light that didn't work, the 'complimentary' water, tea & coffee was dusty. The bottled water tasted like the river Thames.
The bed was shoved against the wall and looked dingy.
The reception was super grimy and the receptionist was a nasty looking old man who wierded me out.
We booked via book.com and was charged an extra 20% on arrival for some reason.
Omg, other than using the toilet ... We were desperate, we promptly left after 30 minutes handing our key and breakfast cards in. The receptionist didn't ask why we left, I suspect he knew that he got money for no guests.
As for the breakfast facility, well it was a grimey cafe some five minutes away next to a betting shop!
Please it is safer to sleep in the car and use a supermarket toilet and wet wipes to refresh yourself and find a McDonald's.
This is the worst hotel I have ever paid for... I could even consider staying the night. This is why seaside towns in the UK only have beered up stag and hen parties... Because I would have to be absolutely out of my head to consider staying at the Trevross 'hotel'
I do have photos but cannot post them via my iPhone app.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Babecakes1974

It is clearly stated on our website and all the partners we use that we are not -ensuite. We even are up front enough to say so on all telephone enquirers. We are NOT a hotel we are a budget bed and breakfast, no more no less.

IF you could contact me I will investigate the booking.com charge as we are not aware of this.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

had a pleasant stay, clean hotel, ideal location , for all facilities. helpful staff nothing too much trouble. only down fall shared bathroom and toilet but we did no when we booked. good parking facilities got directed to a spot and given a permit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

So glad you had a good stay and you found the free parking permit of use. Look forward to your next visit