“Lovely weekend break”

Southern Hotel
Ranked #76 of 100 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
“Lovely weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just come back from a lovely weekend break we've been here before and it really is like home from home. On arrival Sally is very friendly and helpful , the rooms are very clean and comfortable with everything you need. Breakfast was delicious with lots of choice and the full English really sets you up for the day. The hotel is in a great position not far from all the attractions and there is plenty of parking. I would highly recommend this hotel and am looking forward to going back very soon .

• Stayed June 2013
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, it was lovely to see you again, hope it is not too long until you come again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

we booked a family room, with an adjoining room for a break with our grand children... we found on arrival a very helpful Sally...
the hotel was lovely very clean, comfortable with all the extra touches. we found it like home from home. breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice. Sally and Tony was very helpful with ideas on where to eat and go within a short walk.
The bar was well stocked and comfortable with a friendly atmosphere. would we stay again? yes and would recommend the Southern to anyone.

Room Tip: no swimming pool or fitness centre. but the marina is a short walk away, with pool etc
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, we are glad that you and your family enjoyed yourselves. We hope to see you again soon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just come back from a night at the southern had room 2 the four poster room, upon arrival we was made feel very welcome by the owner Sally and during the stay she could of not bin more helpful or friendly, and could not fault her,as for the room it was just what We hoped it would be it was very clean and very spacious and could not fault it one bit, the breakfast cooked by tony (Sally's husband) was just what was needed to start the day and couldn't fault that one bit either. To sum up what a great place to stay in Yarmouth great owners who take pride in what they do and because of that the hotel and the stay at the southern is a pleasure and will be going back soon.. Martyn and Sarah stayed on the 27th of April 2013....

• Stayed April 2013
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
What a lovely review Martyn thank you, we are so glad you enjoyed your "last minute surprise break" Sarah's little scream when she saw the room made me smile all day. It is things like that , that make this job worthwhile. Hope to see you again soon
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Due to work commitments my partner lives in another part of the country. When he can manage to get a weekend off, we book a room here, although I live here. On a couple of occasions we have been sorely let down, but this time I chose the Southern for a night. We were met by Sally on our arrival - the booking - in process was efficient, and although we didn't see the room prior to payment, we were very pleasantlt surprised. It was spotlessly clean, the bedding was perfect, and I liked the fact that the floors were laminated (suffered too many sticky carpets in the past). There was a small refridgerator in the room with bottled water, and well stocked tea and coffee. TV worked well, and we had a very comfortable night. Breakfast was very well cooked. My only complaint was that as the clocks had gone forward, breakfast was effectively an hour earlier. The extra hour in bed would have been nice, but obviously that wasn't Sally or Tonys fault. Next time he is able to visit, I won't hesitate to book again, or recommend it to family members. Thank you Sally and Tony.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 10. It was perfectly adequate for us. Outside was a bit noisy, but it was Easter w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your review we are glad you enjoyed yourselves. It was unfortunate about the hour but we still had to get all the rooms stripped and cleaned by the " new time" that day. We hope to see you again soon.
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at the Southern for 2 nights (22/23 Feb), I stayed in room 10, what a great room, very spacious, good bathroom, the room was spotless clean, as was the rest of the hotel, breakfast was excellent ( great way to start the day) a big thank you to Sally and Tony(mine hosts) nothing was to much trouble for them, I would recommend that you try the Southern, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank slowman36
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review and are glad you enjoyed yourself and we look forward to seeing you again
Barrow in Furness, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stopped here with work for a few months on and off. Rooms were always nice clean and tidy. Nice and comfy beds. Always a good selection for breakfast. Sally and Tony were always friendly and very helpfull with anything required from finding places to eat to arrange early departures and with late arrivals as i travel from 350+ miles away from yarmouth. I would have no problem stoppinh here again with my family if i came to yarmouth on holiday instead of work. Added bonus of free wi-fi and freeview in all rooms.

Room Tip: Room 10 Was my favourite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you Brad for the review, we really enjoyed having you all stay with us. It felt like an extion to our family you were all so friendly and polite. We would welcome you back anytime for work or holiday. Hope you are all well
New Brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I’ll start of by saying that I cannot comment on the customer service once you are checked in, rooms or facilities as I did stay in this hotel as planned; all of the aforementioned might be absolutely lovely once you’re check in, however, I felt the need to comment on the attitude of, I presume, the owner when dealing with problematic bookings. Before I go into particulars I would like to stress that I appreciate that it is ultimately my fault that I lost the room as I was unable to turn up at the designated time but I also feel very strongly that the entire situation was very poorly handled by the owner.

I was planning to stay in the Southern in Great Yarmouth overnight after travelling halfway across the country to attend a meeting the next day. The event I was representing the charity I work for on that day ran slightly later than expected and I got stuck in traffic on the way to the station in an unfamiliar city which meant despite running to catch my connection at Manchester, I missed the first of five trains that were going to take me to Great Yarmouth.
Relatively unconcerned at that point, I decided to call up the hotel to let them know that I would be arriving later than initially anticipated, the owner had seemed perfectly pleasant in previous correspondence and I was sure she would be understanding of my circumstances. I was aware of the 10PM check-in deadline but as the later connection only got in at 10:15 and the hotel was a 6 minute taxi ride from the station according to Google Maps, I did not expect this to cause too much of an issue although I was ready to apologise for any inconvenience caused upon my arrival. I tried numerous times for over an hour to reach the hotel to no avail and finally, frustrated by the bad signal on the train, texted my fiancé if he could phone them on my behalf. He was more successful than I was but I was a little surprised to hear that my request had caused an openly outraged response from the lady on the other end and she had only very grudgingly consented to me arriving later.
Unfortunately it did not get better from then on. After running to (successfully) catch several connecting trains, I arrived in Norwich 10 minutes late at about 10PM. The delay, we were told, was due to as an ambulance having to be called for one of the passengers at one of the previous stations. This meant I had missed the train to Great Yarmouth by a solid 5 minutes with no further trains departing for another hour.
Stressed, exhausted and apprehensive about the hotel’s response, I called my fiancé to consult with him on the best course of action; we decided it would be easier for him to call the Southern so that he could search the internet and book me into a different hotel as soon as possible should the owners not be accommodating rather than calling back and forth. Unsurprisingly the response he got was anything but sympathetic, the words ‘Yeah, whatever’ being uttered in the conversation. Luckily he was able to book me into the Comfort Hotel with less than an hours notice- which on my arrival apologised profusely to me when they could not find my booking straightaway and made every effort to sort the matter out as quickly as possible and with every effort to reduce any ensuing hassle from this situation.
While I understand that late arrivals cannot always be accommodated especially in small hotels, I feel very strongly that this is no excuse for rudeness, especially when the delay is not caused through any fault of the customer. I was not being deliberately awkward, there was just no physical way I could have arrived any earlier than I did. I did my best to give as much notice as possible once I was aware of potential problems and was met with not even the most basic level of consideration. It’s not the fact that I lost the room as much as the attitude of the people involved that made this a truly unpleasant experience and one I would not wish on anyone else, so make sure you can guarantee to arrive on time or be prepared to be stranded- I recommend the Comfort Hotel for last minute rooms…

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank whitesideddolphin
sallyhotelier, Owner at Southern Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Having read all this review, I can only say that we clearly state our booking in times on all correspondence. The reason my regular guests come back time and time again is because they are not disturbed by late arrivals and are guaranteed a good nights sleep prior to work the next day.No one said that the situation was of the guests making but by her own admission for various reasons she was going to be at least an hour and half late.
As this lady states The Comfort has a 24 hour reception and will take in guests at any time but this is not our policy.
As someone who has been in business for many years " yeah whatever "
would not be something I would say. It is a comment someone much younger than I would use