“The best cakes and the best service!”

Merrivale Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Great Yarmouth
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2013

As a family of 4 adults, we visit the Merrivale Tea Rooms every Easter when we go to Gt Yarmouth. We have always had the most wonderful service from every member of staff and are always made to feel valued and so welcome. The menu is extensive, caters to all tastes and has a wide range of gluten free products. We have tried a range of items from the menu over the years and have always found the food to be delicious. The range of beautifully displayed cakes in the cabinet are just too tempting and we always end up buying some even when we are already full up!! If you want a lovely lunch then this is the place to visit, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a great tea room! Popped in whilst on holiday and asked what options were available for gluten free and was answered with 'What would you like?' Brilliant, had cake and cup of tea but will definitely return. Really friendly staff and a nice atmosphere unlike a chain, the man that served us even came over to say they often deliver pies etc in the area so to give them a call if I ever fancied anything! Such a great find for any gluten free-ers.

1  Thank xoxoLeeds
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We live in Great Yarmouth and we have a daughter with Coeliac disease.This tea room is fantastic with a great selection of meals at excellent quality and they cater for gluten free with meals and also wonderful homemade cakes.a frienly atmosphere cant recommend more highly.

1  Thank owenchjs
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stopped here for a late lunch as it looked quite pleasant from the outside.

Unfortunately our experience wasn't great! My pie tasted like a supermarket microwave meal and the sausages my children had tasted cheap and nasty...certainly not the sort of quality I'd expect for the prices we'd paid.

In addition to our disappointments with the food, we didn't appreciate a member of staff smelling heavily of cigarette smoke when serving us...it really put us off our food!

Based on this experience, I wouldn't recommend or return here!

1  Thank Pete F
TJC15, Owner at Merrivale Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal, but I have to reassure you all our pies are made with real steak, slow cooked in the oven over night & then made into pies, there is nothing cheap or shop bought in them. As to the sausages we only use butchers sausages (cumberland) & people come time & again because of it. Even when we do outside events do we use these & comments are made as to how good they are.
If the staff member smelt o f smoke I am very sorry, I can't understand how this could of happened as both myself & family members are non smokers & 99 percent of the time we are the ones serving. Again I'm sorry your vistit wasn't enjoyable.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Previous visits here a few years back have been nice enough and a return visit was in order after visiting the model village with my nephews.

Unfortunately my cake was uncuttable when using any of the supplied cutlery...this made it pretty inedible without breaking teeth. Disappointed, we left to get our sweet treats elsewhere.

Sorry to hear you found things not to your liking when you visited us.
We always strive to do our best & shocked to hear that you didn't get a knife & cake fork to eat with as this is how we try to serve all our cakes. I notice that you are local & if you would like to come & visit me in April I will do my best to make things right for you.