“Fantastic tea room and gluten free!”

Merrivale Tea Rooms
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic tea room and gluten free!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We live in Great Yarmouth and we have a daughter with Coeliac disease.This tea room is fantastic with a great selection of meals at excellent quality and they cater for gluten free with meals and also wonderful homemade cakes.a frienly atmosphere cant recommend more highly.

1 Thank owenchjs

“Won't return!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stopped here for a late lunch as it looked quite pleasant from the outside.

Unfortunately our experience wasn't great! My pie tasted like a supermarket microwave meal and the sausages my children had tasted cheap and nasty...certainly not the sort of quality I'd expect for the prices we'd paid.

In addition to our disappointments with the food, we didn't appreciate a member of staff smelling heavily of cigarette smoke when serving us...it really put us off our food!

Based on this experience, I wouldn't recommend or return here!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Pete F
TJC15, Owner at Merrivale Tea Rooms, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal, but I have to reassure you all our pies are made with real steak, slow cooked in the oven over night & then made into pies, there is nothing cheap or shop bought in them. As to the sausages we only use butchers sausages (cumberland) & people come time & again because of it. Even when we do outside events do we use these & comments are made as to how good they are.
If the staff member smelt o f smoke I am very sorry, I can't understand how this could of happened as both myself & family members are non smokers & 99 percent of the time we are the ones serving. Again I'm sorry your vistit wasn't enjoyable.
Ipswich
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cake Uncuttable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Previous visits here a few years back have been nice enough and a return visit was in order after visiting the model village with my nephews.

Unfortunately my cake was uncuttable when using any of the supplied cutlery...this made it pretty inedible without breaking teeth. Disappointed, we left to get our sweet treats elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012
Sorry to hear you found things not to your liking when you visited us.
We always strive to do our best & shocked to hear that you didn't get a knife & cake fork to eat with as this is how we try to serve all our cakes. I notice that you are local & if you would like to come & visit me in April I will do my best to make things right for you.
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Great value and very tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Very nice, friendly and good value, I wanted 2nds but the wife said no.we popped in on the off chance after visiting the railway, would recomend for tea and cakes and dinner,

“Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Pleasant surroundings and reasonable price refreshments although the weather was awful it was a good place to dry off and get refreshed after walking round the model village and getting soaked. The Grandchildren still enjoyed their day and liked the cakes and drinks in the Tea Rooms

Visited September 2012