“Eye opening”
Review of The Nelson Hotel

The Nelson Hotel
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
Reviewed August 26, 2013

After booking this 2 days before ? I didn't do much research in to this much needed revamp of a hotel . Firstly parking was very hard ! We paid at the front desk before seeing the room BIG MISTAKE ! When we Finally got up the tight narrow stair case to our room I noticed the carpet wasn't clean stained / grubby the sheets to the bed had holes in ! Then I noticed a stain underneath the sheet on the mattress it made me feel quite ill ! I wouldn't let my dog sleep in there ! Complained to reception and got a full refund . Ended up stopping in the holiday inn in Norwich which was fantastic !

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Grant J
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

It was disappointing to hear that the hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

We are aware that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted, and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Waking up after our first night of 4 in this 'hotel'... I really wish I could afford to relocate our family!
We arrived to be handed the keys after a long journey with two young children to be greeted to an obviously uncleaned room (bar the beds they had been changed), there was sand on the floors, tea in the pot.... The list goes on!
We brought this to receptions attention who informed us it would be sorted.... We waited desperate for a shower, after waiting 20mins or more my husband went back to reception to be informed the housekeeper didn't start their shift for another hour, needless to say after voicing that really wasn't acceptable within another 10mins a nice lady came and we went and stayed with our parents whilst the room was cleaned (this was at 4.15pm). The room is a shabby family room, I think they must have put us here thinking our kids would trash it, it's horrible.
No chance of the kids getting excited of a sea view, we can see bins other backs of hotels and what looks like the staff smoking area!
Oh and one last warning, don't expect an extended sleep in the morning, if someone uses the loo above you, the noises?!?
Having wrote this at 630am after the whole family being woke up extremely early, I don't know how breakfast will fair.
Really dissapointed :-(

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Emzg82

I really am sorry that you did not receive the level of customer service that we strive to provide. Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the Nelson for one night.The location was excellent, close to the pubs and pleasure beaches.
From first impressions, it looked tired and needed decorating, but to be honest all of the hotels we looked at in Yarmouth looked like they needed up-dating. We were on the top floor at the front of the hotel. At 2am we had people singing and talking loudly outside which we were not too pleased about. The shower had no pressure and was freezing cold!! We didn't stay for breakfast so cannot comment, when leaving, the corridors stunk of sweaty arm pits, I'm afraid to say.
It's such a shame as this hotel is in such a good spot with car parking opposite, would maybe stay again, but would ask not to be put on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I was very sorry to read you comments regarding your stay with us and that you were disturbed by revellers. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted, particularly those relating to the shower and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Really sorry but all ratings have been put to 1 because of 1 reason. The night porter let a random person in our room at 3.30 am. He didn't check anything. Luckily there was someone in out room who stopped it. Absolutely incredible. Just for that, will never return

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank isit95108
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us.

It was very disappointing read your comments and to learn of someone being let into your room by the night porter. This of course is unacceptable, and please be assured that this matter has been discussed at length with John, and his team to ensure it cannot happen again.

We are sorry that you do not feel able to return to us again in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went to hotel on a voucher deal which was excellent value. Hotel bit dated and worn in places, mainly corridors so nothing major. Room size was great, bathroom very big, my one recommendation is that if they are all that size then maybe put in a separate shower cubicle as well as bath but other than that it was very adequate. No hairdryer but we had taken our own so that wasn't a problem. Windows were a bit stiff and didnt open very wide but I dont think for an hold hotel you can complain about that, we had plenty of fresh air coming in. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice and freshly cooked. Right on the seafront and walkable to town centre. The overall experience was made great by the very friendly and helpful staff at the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 228 was fab
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RobCroydon
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to John and his team who I know will be pleased to read them.

We do believe that we offer value for money compared with other hotels in Great Yarmouth and were pleased to see that you found this to be the case. As you say the Nelson does have some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and we have an ongoing maintenance programme for this, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Thank you once again for your comments which have been duly noted and we do hope that you will be able to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed for two nights this weekend on a KGB Deal. We only ever use anywhere we stay as a base to be fair as we are always out and about but the hotel is in a great location,we had a great room, the bar was cosy and the staff very friendly and welcoming. A lot of old hotels will always need a bit of updating but I think the prices reflect this. We will definitely be returning - one point that would be great for me.....stock some vegetarian sausages so I can have a full "English". Id come back just for the porridge mind, it was delicious!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxinesp

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to John and his team who will be pleased to read them.

As you say, the Nelson does have areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and we have an ongoing maintenance programme for this, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights on a kgb deal. At the onset I must say the staff were excellent, cheerful, helpful and very busy. Unfortunately other matters made for an unsatisfactory stay. The beds were exceedingly uncomfortable, springs sticking up, nothing between the sheet and mattress, holes in the sheets. I had to resort to folding the bed cover & putting this under the bottom sheet to make it a bit more comfortable. The presence of coach parties meant that we could not be accommodated for breakfast before 9am (we are early risers)Also we were unable to dine at the hotel in the evening of the second night as the Mayor and his entourage were being entertained, and drinks were also unavailable at the bar as the staff were too busy with the mayoral party. We had to go down the street for fish & chips instead. We will not be recommending or returning to this hotel. BUT the staff were lovely, not their fault that we did not enjoy, or feel valued during our stay. Disappointing considering we had travelled over 230 miles for this break.

Room Tip: No idea! Other guests complaining about awful beds
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary B
Gemma A, Manager at The Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I am very sorry to learn of the issues encountered during your stay. It was certainly an extraordinarily busy evening with 2 coach parties and the Mayors reception being hosted at the property and I do apologise for the inconvenience encountered.

These comments have been duly noted and we will be discussing the points raised with the General Manager and his team to endeavour to address and prevent any future problems arising.

Thank you again for your feedback.