“First Class Carlton in Great Yarmouth.”
Review of Bay Carlton Hotel

Bay Carlton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Great Yarmouth
widnes, cheshire,UK
“First Class Carlton in Great Yarmouth.”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Carlton Hotel in Great Yarmouth is the finest hotel me and my wife
have stayed in with Shearings, constantly warm 24 hours a day, lovely
large bedroom with a sea view also constantly warm, clean towels and
bedroom cleaned every day with a good supply of tea, coffee and milk,
meals were superb, good menu choice, soups exceptional and cod fish so
fresh and very well cooked as was everything else including the
breakfast, a very relaxing hotel, spotless clean and dedicated staff
who are always there for you.
Also the four free drinks each day, top brands too! was a very good
gesture on behalf of Shearings and the Carlton, cannot fault this hotel
in any way at all, two good trips out, a large bedroom with a seaview,
it was exceptional value for money and Shearings are without doubt the
best coach firm to book with and always have been, finally our driver
Derek could not have done anymore for all of us, a true gentleman who
went out of his way to look after us all from beginning to end, will be
looking for another bargain in a few weeks time, what would we do
without Shearings, thankyou as always,
Ste Aldred,
Widnes,
Cheshire.

Room Tip: Left side of hotel gives you a very open view apart from a seaview, 2nd and 3rd floors probably the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank stealdred
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your positive and glowing review, I will certainly pass your comments on to all concerned the staff will be highly delighted. As you mention we are extremely good value for money and we will be here for many years, because we are the best at what we do.
I look forward to greeting you in the very near future.
Paul Betts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have just returned from Great Yarmouth, staying at the Carlton, the hotel is great, food superb and rooms very comfy, this hotel is very, very welcoming, spotless, and the staff so really nice.
We had lots of places to see,went to Yarmouth pottery, what a fantastic place, the building is just great, inside is for me a wonderland, I could spend all day there and still go back for more, MUMS it is a far better and more interesting place to visit than an arcade, the owners are just great, cannot praise them enough, nothing is too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were very nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank keithybaby57
Thank you for your wonderful review, we all appreciate getting positive feedback, I will pass on your excellent comments to all concerned and look forward to your return visit.
Bagillt
Reviewed January 26, 2013

After poor hol in County Hotel,Llandudno in Nov,gave Shearings another chance with mid week break at Bay Carlton,paying extra £56 for sea view. Man on reception could not even get out of his chair to welcome us.Room very dated,bathroom sink waste not working,not holding water,bath taps needed 2 strong hands to turn on and very shabby.No heating or hot water for the 4 days,mobile heater given,but not good,bathroom still freezing. No word from management even after requests to reception as to what was going on with heating.Food was much better than the County,waitress very good. Will never pay extra for sea view again,couple in our party paid basic,given sea view with 4 poster bed etc, Not happy with Shearings at the moment,some hotels require a good refurbishment from top to bottom .With a party of 14.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Wenna W
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for your review, I have noted all your concerns and will be taking the appropriate action. We did experience a problem with the main boiler, I have asked our maintenance team to address all other concerns. Many of our guests enjoy our sea view rooms and return time and time again. I will of course pass on your praise to the chef and his team.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We did self drive 18th to 21st Jan 2013. The manager gave us our keys and all the info very good and professional no waiting. My wife & I had room 103 a small room with a good sea view but comfortable and clean. My sister & brother in law had room 102 a larger room with a 4 poster bed. All 4 of us were impressed with the quality of the food during our stay also the friendliness and efficiency of all the staff we enjoyed the entertainment and on the Sunday it snowed a lot & we hoped we would be snowed in so we could enjoy the hotel a little longer..We will be back for sure. Thanks to ALL members of staff for making our stay so pleasant...

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are best in our opinion.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Malcolm H
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review, I will personally pass on your praise to all members of my team. We really love to hear positive reviews as it shows we are getting it right. I look forward to greeting you once again, please don’t leave it too long.
Kind Regards
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

we have just returned from mid week break at the carlton with shearings, & I agree that the hotel is in desperate need of double glazing & updating, we seemed to have struck lucky with our room. We had a large room (104) overlooking the sea with french doors that were so old they were nearly falling out the frames & with old dated furniture & old type tv. for once I found the bed comfortable (which is my usual gripe on holiday). The en suit did leave a lot to be desired but was adaquate. The food we thought was good as was the entertainment & although we are not normally bingo players we enjoyed the bingo & quizes each night, the entertainment was good with an excellent comedian on the wednesday night.

For the money we paid I think we had great value for money. On the other had had I been paying full price in the summer for the room I would not be happy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank margaret22mcleod
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for your review I am pleased that you found us good value, as many of our previous guests have. I have noted your comments regarding room 104 and will be making plans to improve in the near future. I hope you will come back in the summer as we offer extremely good value holidays all year round!.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Arrived at the Bay Carlton Hotel in Great Yarmouth on the 7th January 2013, for a Shearing’s mid week break. We expected a standard room as per their email to me showing a nice spacious room with a window view. What we got was a shock. It could only be described as a box room (room 336) in the attic with the ceiling sloping down to about 3’ 6” where it met a very small window that you could only look out of if you were on your knees. Under the sloping roof were a desk and 2 chairs where the ceiling above the chairs was no more than about 4’ high. I had to bend my body if I wanted to move around the room, there was a sign on the ceiling saying “Please Mind Your Head” It was nothing like the picture of a standard room we were expecting. After cracking my head on the ceiling a couple of time I asked to be moved which resulted in me having to pay an extra £40.00. The reason for the £40 extra I was told is that we had got the holiday at a knock down price. Another shock, I paid their asking price and expected the break they advertised with the room they advertised.
Once settled into the new room (219) we could begin to enjoy our stay we thought. We found the food below standard and it wasn’t until later we found out that there had been a hygiene problem in the hotel just a few weeks before. Cold showers in the evening, The staff was worked hard but did a great job and were friendly. The décor was in the process of being up dated (and it needs it). There is only one small lift serving 96 rooms and we found this inadequate and had to climb stairs most of the time.
Except for reception, we found all the staff ran off their feet trying to cover more than they should, it resulted in standing at bars waiting for service. The entertainment was bingo based with the host doing a bit of country singing afterwards, the guy tried but wasn’t very good. One night they had a magician/comedian which I enjoyed.
The hotel prices are really expensive, pint of carling £3.40, tea for 2 £3.40, a 1 ltr bottle of water £2.50 and so on
We won’t be going on any more Shearing trips or National (part of Shearings).
I could NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. Beware the BAY CARLTON HOTEL Great Yarmouth.

Room Tip: It's a gamble wether you get an acceptable room or one of their really bad rooms. Worth checking...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelmaster3
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Firstly thank you for your review, having made a full investigation I would like to clarify some of your comments regarding the hotel, the room in question first occupied is a standard room as were the following rooms you were shown, the room you decided on (room 219) is a Sea View room which would mean an upgrade charged accordingly. As for the prices for beverages, you will find that we are very competitive within our hotel category. I’m surprised by your comments regarding food as we receive great feedback from guests. Shearing’s offer extremely good value as many thousands of our guests have experienced, I’m sorry you don’t feel this way.
scunthorpe
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have stayed at many different hotels but the Carlton has always been my favourite and the one I always come back to. I missed last year as I lost my husband but I am back this year with friends. The only negative I have is the service in the dining room, the staff do their best but there are not enough of them. Everything else is really good and everyone is pleasant and helpfull. Special mention to Paul the night porter, nothing is to much trouble. See you all again next year

Room Tip: always ask for a low floor or room serviced by lift if you have problems with stairs
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Avril C
CarltonHotel012, General Manager at Bay Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review, I am so pleased to see “we are your favourite hotel”, please accept my deepest condolences on your loss of your dear husband. I hope you will see a positive change in the dining room, thank you for highlighting your concern. I will pass on your praise to all the staff and Paul, who will be thrilled to be mention, awaiting your return to us soon.