“home from home”
Review of 3 Norfolk Square

3 Norfolk Square
Ranked #14 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2013

just got home from here what a lovely stay we really loved it stayed in some lovely places but this by far was the best elsa and kieth were so welcoming and there for what ever u need had the run of the house basically do what u want bye your own drinks and food to take to your room which everywhere else u would have to use there bar also breakfast fantastic hubby loved it hope he dont expect that at home lol room was lovely bed so comfy would have took it home if had a bigger car best bed and breakfast by far thankyou elsa and keith hope to see u soon defiantly a 5* hope your plant lasts for when we come bk thanks again

Room Tip: room 5 king suite
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

The perfect Guests. That’s all I have to say.

P.S. I forgot to tell you. You know the review we were talking about (B&B not 5 star) well after that review, one of the said party had the audacity to book for the Saturday night you were here. I ‘politely declined the booking’. Unbelievable.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Dissapointed in this B&B we had a cold reception as we arrived 15 minutes before 2.30pm the alleged opening time,we repeatedely rang the bell and phoned the b&b we thought it had closed down.we were given a second floor room when we were told it was going to be first floor,it was hard work climbing the stairs so if your getting on in years don't bother the size of our room was very small,the window was rattling draughty and it was a cold room due to the draught of the windows,the owners left the b&b and wasn't there all night they left a sign saying "we are not in the premises call 999 in a emergency" charming,breakfast was served at 100 miles an hour .5 star never.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank 15MaryT
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

I asked Tripadvisor to remove because I did not want to lower myself & go to a response level I do not aspire to. They refused, said I had to respond then asked me for £500+ for an ‘App’ business listing. That’s a contradiction in terms.

Reviewer originally requested, & paid for, 1st floor suite & provisionally asked us to hold 2 doubles for companions whilst finalising details,
Reviewer cancels original booking on day of arrival for personal reasons. 100% cancellation fee not charged nor any fee for 2 rooms holding.
Reviewer makes new booking. Only had Ground & 2nd floor doubles available on said dates.
Reviewer booked said rooms. Allowed to carry over original cancelled booking fee into new booking.
On ‘T & Cs’ check-in 2.30. Reviewer arrived approx 1.50pm. Did not get an immediate response as in lower ground floor sorting washing. Let in approx 2pm.
Reviewers ‘cold reception’ took 30 mins with teas, coffees & biscuits served in lounge whilst reminiscing and deciding who was in what room. Duration so long that one half of reviewer wanted to curtail check-in and go to his room. All bags carried up to rooms. Were fully aware of room locations from phone booking and booking conditions.
Windows do not rattle, even in highest wind, & have many requests to turn down heating because it is to warm.
Allowed a social life & CCTV shows not being in the building for 3hrs on Sat evening caused reviewer no problems whatsoever.
(Remember Saturday)
Reviewer requested an 8am breakfast (Normal 8.45 to 9.30) due to medical reasons. Tried to coerce companions to join but they declined 1st morning and agreed to 2nd morning. 1st morning came in at 8.15 and left 8.45, 2nd morning all in at 8.15 & left at 9.15. (I would say about 2 mph)
Now we come to the crux of this review: Guest House was so bad that, whilst here, a 3rd room was requested, and paid for, for reviewer’s brother for the Saturday night.
Brother cancels Sat pm due to weather but no refund given as already turned down another request for the room. Not happy with that refusal even though we agreed to a carry over fee for future booking.
God this reads like ‘War & Peace’
To get our true picture read review below

Reviewed March 24, 2013

As soon as we arrived we were greeted with a warm smile and coffee and biscuits - what more could you wish for! Our luggage was taken to our room and once we had checked in we were taken to our room. We decided to push the boat out and book a suite - which I have to say was superb! Large, stylish and finished to a very high standard with all the extras. Ropes, slippers, magazines and coffee and tea making facilities.

Situated just off the sea front with parking in a quiet area but within walking distance of the sea front and all that Great Yarmouth has to offer.

We had a great nights sleep - the bed was so comfortable!

Breakfast in the morning was excellent with a great selection of fresh fruit and juices, cereals etc.

We would definitely go back and we have already recommended to a number of friends.

Congratulations on providing Great Yarmouth with a unique 5 Star Boutique Bed & Breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EmmasmithNorfolk
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Very very nice review and thank you much for it. Makes the effort to remain 5 star worth it. Look foward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had just travelled from Old Hunstanton and stayed in the room of my dreams and fulfilled my wishes on every level. So, I arrived at this guest house thinking it could not possibly come up to expectations. From the outside, especially in the winter months, it did not look as chic as I thought the reviews depicted. When I got shown downstairs (breakfast room) to sign the booking in sheets, I was not filled with hope. However, when shown into our room (No 1), I was looking for faults, but could find none. The room was nicely decorated, immacutely clean, and very comfortable. The room folder had a good choice of suggestions to eat out, which we followed up and was not disappointed. The breakfast was very good and the full English (I was told by my fellow guest) was better than the day before. I feel that we would have seen the best of this guest house when in season, and also that signing in should be done at a desk designated in the TV room instead, which is by far a lovelier room than the breakfast room. All in all a lovely stay, that should I go to Great Yarmouth again, I would most definately stay in. I would like to add, a really lovely touch to our room was the mini fridge located outside with real milk in, for our evening drinks in our room - great touch.

Room Tip: No 1 was a lovely room but there was nobody in No 2. I would be interested to see if any noise from...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

This review took several reads before we finally worked it out (Breakfast)
Salient points. Outside will be it’s normal immaculate self when the weather permits.
Signing-in is now being done in the lounge but might be transferred to a designated place in the hallway (Haven’t made my mind up yet) The reason we did it downstairs is because it made it easier for teas or coffees upon arrival and to show where breakfast and the bar is and in the summer going up to the patio. Room 2 is not in general use. It is sold each year to a CEO who stays 2 or 3 nights during the week so noise is never an issue.
We now realise you were comparing our breakfast with the one in Hunstanton. Glad you liked the room, the extras and our dinning recommendations.
Regards

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed at 3 Norfolk Square for the past 4 years in the 1st week of September for the bowls tournament and have enjoyed every minute. The room is so very comfortable and I love the shower as I can no longer get out of a bath. I love the fact that I can treat the place like my home and have been found fast asleep on the leather settee in the lounge on many occasions! Keith does a superb breakfast. This year I was fortunate to find a car space and was welcomed by Elsa who helped my unload all my luggage and bowls gear. I could not wish for a better place. My friends and I got through to the final stages on the last day and I was able to leave my luggage in the room till I was ready to go home.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lynne Q
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

See you next year and you will always have a parking space.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Norfolk square is a nice b&b, not quite up to the 5* hotels we have stayed in in the past but never the less it is nice and comfortable! We did feel they only have the the 5*'s though because they have ticked boxes but not gone that extra mile, ie soap is sainsbury's own and the fruit bowl consists of 2 very old satsumas (not very appetising!)
Keith and Elsa are polite but not welcoming! The start of our stay consisted of Keith very abruptly asking who was at the door, NOT a friendly "hello, welcome to norfolk square, I will be with you shortly"! When he came to greet us at the door (wearing a a stained t.shirt, jogging bottoms and trainers, not a nice first impression!)there was still no welcome he was more bothered about moving cars about! He then went on to slander our work colleagues and our best friends to us! We feel this is very unprofessional. Later in the week, I saw Keith on the stairs and he just starred at me and did not even say good morning or just a friendly hello, which would of been nice. it is a shame that the customer service isn't up to the same standard of the b&b. At the time of staying at norfolk square, i was 35wks pregnant and was told that if i went into labour then i would have to evict the b&b! made me feel very unwelcome and nervous. I think norfolk square would benefit Keith working behind the scenes and letting Elsa work front of house.
I am very sad to say I won't be recommended this b&b and we won't be returning as we will have a child soon and it was made very clear that children are not welcome.
On a positive note about the b&b it does serve a nice breakfast and there was a variety of food on offer and also catered for vegetarians very well to. The b&b is also very well situated for all the local attractions.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
10  Thank Magicnessy
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Lot of things to answer here. ‘5 Star’ I bet you did not get them for £70 a night. Never bought soap from Sainsbury’s in our lives. It is not only guests who turn up at the door so we need to know first especially when it is not at check-in-time and we are 4 floors up. ‘Satsuma’s’ Our fruit wastage is unbelievable. We have been thinking about cutting it out or asking people, after they have checked-in ‘Do you want fruit’ you were early and I was working. If you came to the door now I would greet you in a pair of shorts and tee-shirt covered in paint because that is what I am doing now also I do not own a pair of trainers. It is impossible for me to wear any foot ware like that. I move cars so people always have somewhere to park. If I left it add-hock you would not have been able to park your large hire vehicle on the drive which you were paranoid to do. ‘Slander’ you got a much edited version of that call. After it our first reaction was to cancel the whole booking because, in our experience, if somebody is so disgruntled before they arrive it’s not going to work. I then went to plan ‘B’ and was going to raise the issue when you all checked-in but that went out of the window when you arrived 12 hours later and as it turned out they were very nice people and the issue was only mentioned briefly at their check-in. I do not remember seeing you on any stairs and you had been moved to a ground floor room. I did not tell you ‘If you went into labour’ I would evict you. I said if you had the baby I would as we are Adults only. You are the first pregnant woman who has not laughed at that. ‘Keith as front of house’ I suggest you read a few reviews just before yours.
Thank you for positive comments at the end of your review and I hope all goes well with the birth which will then give you other things to think about.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This review is a bit late (we stayed in July), but I've got to say that this is an amazing place to stay. We were made to feel welcomed, and Keith even recommended some restaurants that we should try. The room was spacious (we stayed in room five), and the bed was so comfortable.The location is quiet, but convenient. The breakfast was lovely; there was a wide range of food and it all tasted high quality (the room service was great too!). The atmosphere was so relaxed, and there was a huge range of DVD's. I really can't fault this place, I can't wait to return next summer!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louise J
tillyGreatYarmouth, Owner at 3 Norfolk Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Thank you and glad you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to seeing you again.

I need reviews like yours because the dynamics in this town, in respect to reviews, has suddenly changed. I have never seen so many establishments, all of a sudden, get rated at 5 and all the more erroneous reviews they used to have on their sites have disappeared. I know we have just had a magic convention but this is unprecedented. 100+, 150+, 200+ and not a bad review at all. A more cynical person might say it coincided with certain companies stating they can get rid of any bad reviews you may have.