“Welcome Home”
other travelers have booked this property
The spacious and comfortable sitting room with traditional furniture, ceiling beams, inglenook fire.
Another view of the sitting room with restored pine doors,gas log burner for instant heat/no mess! We hope everything is here for you to enjoy this spacious room. Smart tv, wifi, garden view.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Mullioned window in the kitchen dates from 1650, exposed stone, modern appliances mix old and new!
The specially designed kitchen fits in everything you need to cook a lovely meal.
Electric ceramic hob and electric oven with chimney extractor ensure cooking is easy or eat at pub!
Super comfortable luxury Hypnos super King bed ( can be 2 single will give you a great nights' sleep
Night Night! Enjoy reading in bed with a variety of lighting options. Bedside, central and downlight
The most amazing bedroom! Spacious, comfortable, fantastic views across the other side of the Calder
Everything you can need has been provided for a lovely stay including mirrors, hairdryer and more.
The luxury bedroom is full of character, restored pine doors hide a modern wardrobe with drawers.
An original gas light from the bedroom has been restored as a feature above the cast iron fireplace
The beautiful cast iron feature fireplace in the bedroom., lovingly restored.
A 21st century bathroom of hotel standard for a luxurious soak in the huge bath with shower at 1 end
The spacious bathroom has an Aqualisa Digital power shower, basin, loo , gas boiler, washer/dryer
The staircase has the traditional handrail to help you. Please note the top step is higher.
Work from home if required! Wifi all over the cottage, desk, chair on landing or space for Z bed.
Wainhouse Tower taken on a light June evening.Open on Bank Holidays if you enjoy a climb for a view!
The sunny garden and patio offers you a lovely place to relax outside in and enjoy the views.
The rear courtyard with plants and washing line  with mullioned window dating from 1650
An inscription to John Edward Wainhouse who built the 470 ft tower nearby and other buildings
A view of the cottages and the Wainhouse Tavern Grade 2 listed, Wainhouse's home in the 1870's.
Afternoon tea on the patio, whilst you sit in the sun admiring the view.
Feature wall plates commemorating local events and local paintings give the sitting room character
Enjoy dining on an antique table surrounded by local memorabilia and artwork.
Antique furniture and local art work on walls provide character features in a 17th century cottage.
Enjoy the sunshine and views across the Calder Valley from the terrace which is a sunny + sheltered
Moorland view for you to explore by bike or foot.
Walk/cycle along the River Calder or the nearby Rochdale Canal and maybe catch a train or bus back.
Look for the heron as you pass along the canal towpath , the Calder Greenway, by foot or bike
The Rochdale Canal provides beautiful walks or cycle  Maybe walk one way then catch the train back?
View from the bedroom window in winter across to Norland on the other side of the Calder Valley.
I am very welcome as long as I am well behaved, stay downstairs and I bring my bed and sofa protecto
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Welcome Home”
Reviewed November 15, 2017 for a stay in November 2017

A return visit.
I walked through the front door, slowly walked round each room and then sat and relaxed.
A voice seemed to whisper in my head "Welcome Home"

Previous guests appear to have treated this gem with the respect it deserves.
Everything just as I remember it from my last visit .. almost.
This is not a cold clinical hotel in any major town worldwide.
This is a unique 'living' home that has witnessed generations of occupants.
There have been subtle changes since I was last here - I suspect some from the owner, some token gestures from guests.
I don't have to wait until the end of my mini break to write this.
I am already happy and free from everyday stress for a few short days in my 'alternate home'
The area is still high on my list as a potential retirement location ( if the timing had been right - I could have secured a property very close!)

This review is a reflection of my personal enthusiasm - for practical details, check the full online description of the property - it is accurate.
Any questions and I know the owner responds to messages very quickly.

Nov 17, 2017
I am so pleased that your return stay is so pleasing to you Brian and that the stresses are dissipating as you relax. We do hope you choose to return “home” again.
HeichC
Aberford, United Kingdom
“Ms”
Reviewed October 23, 2017 for a stay in October 2017

A last minute booking via “Holidays Direct - including Dog Friendly” Facebook Group and at a great price too. Jane was quick to respond with details of her property and provided a plethora of information.

Arrived to a beautifully presented property, modern bespoke fitted kitchen, modern bathroom with a huge bath and loved how some original features were kept and appear throughout the rooms.

Best nights sleep EVER! To the point we stripped the bed and noted the make of mattress and pillows and are off bed shopping next week.

Lovely front garden where your dogs are safe and secure to roam around as there’s a little gate that locks, if you have a dog that’s good at jumping over low fences just bring your flexilead and sit on the bench watching the world go by.

Human and doggy treats upon arrival, Dolce Gusto coffee machine, dishwasher, washer dryer and Just Eat deliver the best fish & chips too. Smart TV which was great as we got to binge watch our Netflix programmes whilst “Storm Brian” hit.

This was our 7 month old Springer Spaniels first holiday and she certainly made herself at home.

Thank you Jane - we all loved it!

Oct 24, 2017
I am so pleased that Isla enjoyed her first family holiday and that you all enjoyed the comforts of Dyer’s Cottage. So sorry that Storm Brian restricted your exploration of Calderdale but hope you return to see more. Thank you for your kind words.
Beljus
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“No horrors or surprises - just perfect”
Reviewed May 20, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

My first time renting a holiday cottage, so nothing to compare with.
This one did, however, tick all my boxes.
The full description and pictures on this site are totally accurate.
Once I walked through the front door, I was totally at home.

The booking had been very easy to arrange and the owner kept supplying up to date information about local attractions which helped enhance my anticipation, already fueled by research using a well known mapping application which allowed me to go on virtual tours of the area - street by street.
I will not list all the facilities supplied - they are already fully detailed in the property description.
This historic property has very sympathetically been given new life and it was both a pleasure and an honour to have spent time in it.
This business of renting this property has only been going a sort time and I believe the owner is keen to provide excellent customer service in the highly competitive industry.
The potential for repeat business and 'word of mouth' recommendation is enormous.
For guests local or international, if you have done your research and need a base in Calderdale - book early, but please leave some dates for me to visit again!

May 22, 2017
I am so pleased that Dyer's Cottage lived up to your expectations and thank you for your very kind words. We do try to make each stay a really special experience and we are hoping to source local ingredients for our welcome pack wherever possible. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
David F
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Lovely period cottage in a great location for exploring Calderdale”
Reviewed October 31, 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed at Dyers Cottage while our house in Ripponden was undergoing some substantial building work, so we did know the area. But we still explored the area and found some great walks through woods and along the canal. The cottage was handy for Halifax (20 min walk) and Sowerby Bridge (10 min walk). The only problem was that all return walks were uphill!!
The cottage was cosy and well-modernised. We enjoyed our stay.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and facilities.
Liked least: The kitchen was a bit small.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Nov 1, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of Dyer's Cottage. I'm pleased you still managed to get out and think like a tourist despite the anxiety of keeping an eye on your own place. Being on the side of the Calder Valley does mean we won't ever flood and gives us the great views over towards Norland especially from the bedroom.
Julia B
Aiken, SC, USA
“beautifully renovated cottage”
Reviewed August 1, 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

We really enjoyed our three week stay at the cottage! The owner welcomed us with flowers and groceries which meant that we did not need to go shopping immediately on arriving. The neighbours were very friendly and helpful and also the locals at the pub which was about 200 feet away from the cottage and served good Yorkshire fare.
The cottage was exactly as advertised and photographed and was very comfortable. The bedroom was upstairs and it was lovely to wake up in the mornings with the view of the hills.
I would definitely stay again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Having all the comforts of home.
Liked least: Cannot think of anything
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
Aug 2, 2016
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so pleased you found the cottage met your expectations and I look forward to welcoming you again.
Kym S
Surfers Paradise
“Fabulous”
Reviewed May 23, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

We had a wonderful time staying in the Dyer's Cottage in Halifax. We had everything we could possibly need and our Host Jane made us feel very welcome.

The Cottage has been renovated to a very high standard, but it has still kept its old world charm. I would have no hesitation staying in the Cottage sometime in the future.

We are from Queensland Australia and we found Halifax a very interesting place to visit. Lots of things to see and do

May 23, 2016
I am so pleased Kym that you enjoyed your week staying at Dyer's Cottage. Your comments about the renovation are very kind but it has been a labour of love to do sympathetically. We wanted to maintain as much of the character as we could yet introduce a feeling of comfort and luxury, especially in the bathroom. It would be lovely to welcome you again.
Viviane A
“Super”
Reviewed April 29, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

A beautiful and charming cottage, excellently equipped and furnished with great attention to detail, the perfect "home from home". Jane, the owner, did all she could to make us welcome, even going down to stocking the fridge with essentials for when we arrived. The location is perfect for exploring the Calder Valley and even further afield. And the pub next door is just an added bonus!

Apr 29, 2016
Thank you for this review. I am pleased that you found the cottage a pleasurable place to stay and I hope you will be able to return again soon.
Best wishes,
Jane
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing