“Central location”

“Central location”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on a Saturday whilst we were at Le Tour
Beautiful old building...
Staff were very helpful and had a map to where we could park due to their car park being full - £7 for 24 hours.
Big double room on the front with separate bathroom oposite MacDonalds but not noisy from the street as rooms have double glazing however we could hear noise from the ajoining rooms.
Bed was quite soft, we do like a harder mattress. Plenty of tea/coffee/ sugar and milk available.
Very clean.

Not the cheapest but at this time no accomodation was.

Central location but it seems all the shops are shut by 5pm even on a Saturday.
Close to bus station and a short 10 min walk to the station.

Room Tip: We had a Double with a bathroom and it was quite roomy, no noise from the road but noise from ajoini...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NZMartins
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the Tour De France weekend.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Over There
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I'd like to give this hotel a higher rating as the staff are very nice and the rooms are 'ok'. They are as you'd expect for a 3 star hotel.

But the major down side is the noise. I am currently writing this review from the hotel room at 1am in the morning as I cannot sleep due to the pub / nightclub across the road.

I booked into the hotel the night before the TDF as I am volunteering close by. I was hoping for a good nights sleep but this obviously isn't going to happen.

If you are not coming to Halifax to enjoy the nightlife then I would not recommend this hotel just because of the noise.
It's a shame really as the hotel itself isn't that bad

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LeGranFromage
Dear guest, Many thanks for your review. I am glad you found the room to be of standard and the staff to be friendly. With regards to the noise I am deeply sorry to hear you had your sleep disturbed. If you were to stay again please feel free to ask for a room at the rear of the Hotel to prevent street noise.
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I were accompanied by our Westie dog for our three night stay at the White Swan. Overall we think that the Hotel deserves a “Very good” rating and this is largely due to the excellence of the staff. We were met by Stacy on our arrival and during our stay she seemed to play a central role in the running of the Hotel. She and other members of staff were helpful, friendly and willing to go that extra mile to ensure ones comfort and satisfaction.

Our room, 101 was extremely large and well furnished. The only slight reservation we had was the standard double bed and for a room described as a “Superior Double” we would have hoped for a slightly bigger bed. Everything was clean and tidy in both the room and bathroom. The settee and quality flat screen TV were very much appreciated.

Situated as it is in the centre of Halifax parking can be a bit of a problem. If there is space, the staff park ones car in a covered and locked parking bay at the side of the Hotel. For us this worked fine thanks to the helpful staff.

The bar facilities are poor. Drinks can be obtained from the reception staff from a small room adjacent to the reception. The only drink on draft was an export larger and all other beers were in cans or bottles. I was told that this was because they do not sell enough draught beer to make it viable but I personally do not think this is good enough for a three star hotel. The seating area in which one can have a drink is pleasant enough and the staff kindly dispense drinks to the table.

Breakfast was of a good standard and pleasantly served.

Room Tip: Room 101 is large and situated at the front of the hotel. Light sleepers may prefer a room at the b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank petermet
Dear guest, It was lovely to meet both of you and Mac. We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay and reviewed this on Tripadvisor. I am pleased you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful and found everything you needed to be in the room. We hope to see all three of you in the future.
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I think we landed on our feet here. The hotel was lovely, spotlessly clean. We had a room at the front, not the biggest in the world, but spotless and all the ameneties we expected were there. Breakfast was good, and the restaurant we tried one evening was excellent, packed with locals, which tells its own story. Definately we'd go back. We had trouble with our car after we had checked out and the staff were so very helpful and kind.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to know you would return to us. Thank you for your kind comments about the breakfast and the staff. As we are a small team it's fantastic to hear our efforts are appreciated. It would be lovely to welcome you back to us.
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here for 5 nights from Sunday to Friday for work. I picked the hotel because of its location and reviews on trip advisor. On arrival I have to admit I felt like I had returned to my halls of residence at university but the place was clean and there was a very welcome. My room was on the front of the hotel, very small and very hot not matching the reviews or pictures on trip advisor at the slightest. The first night was terrible as the noise from the local pub was that bad I might as well have gone and joined in with my pj's on. 3 hrs sleep in total. The following day I asked if it was possible to up grade my room. Well what can I say! for £10 extra what a difference. Now I understand the reviews on trip Advisor. This is a hotel, that in a away, is a bit of an ugly duckling but boy is it trying to be a beautiful Swan and succeeding. Upgrade your room and ask for a room at the back of the hotel and you will get a very warm welcome and have a lovely stay. Any one looking to use the gym I wouldn't bother and pay for entry to the private gym 2 mins walk away instead. If the hotel want to get to true Swan status do the cheaper rooms up, sort out the nose issue, do up the gym and the corridors the rest is already there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for you recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in one of our superior rooms. Unfortunately being in the town centre we can not control the external noise, however, we are on with fitting double glazing to all front facing bedrooms. and are more than happy to allocate guests to these rooms or to the rear of the Hotel. We take all feed back seriously and will take your comments regarding the gym and corridors on board. Thank you for your review.
Mackay
Reviewed June 26, 2014

It is great to find helpful and friendly staff in this central Halifax hotel. The rooms are not big but
very clean and adequate and the breakfast was good although some gluten free bread would have been good. Reception staff were exceptionally helpful and I would highly recommend this convenient hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest, thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the staff to be helpful and friendly. If you were to stay again please do not hesitate to let us know in advance and we would get some gluten free bread in for you. We will pass on your kind comments.
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Our second visit after 3 years away was lovely. Excellent staff, excellent accommodation and excellent service. The room we were given was small but adequate. It was well equipped and comfortable. The breakfast was filling and well cooked and served with a smile by great staff. We cannot praise this hotel enough.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank koolsmum
Dear Guest, Thank you for returning to The White Swan and for writing your second review. It was lovely to see you both again. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The Imperial Crown Hotel
#6 of 10 in Halifax
The New Hobbit
The New Hobbit
#1 of 1 in Sowerby Bridge

Been to The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality? Share your experiences!