The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
$127
$79
$45
$44
The Imperial Crown Hotel(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$46
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$47
Travelodge
$73
PremierInn.com
The New Hobbit(Sowerby Bridge)(Great Value!)
$118
$114
Travelocity
All reviewsone way systemsuperior roomhotel garagevictorian buildingreception staffstreet parkingan italian restaurantcentral locationcooked breakfasttown centresecure parkingfull englishbreakfast was excellenttrouser pressgreat night's sleepwalk in showercar park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stopped for a couple of nights on business. Good check in and found the room large, well decorated and clean. Good wifi connection and lots of coffee on the complementary tray. Friendly staff.

Restaurant downstairs was good, however did get dirty spoon which was changed straight away. Spot on breakfast.

Just one possible improvement, I personally would have liked to have fuller, more firm pillows.

Stayed: January 2014
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review. I am glad to hear you found the room well decorated and clean. And the wifi of benefit. I will pass on your kind comments to the staff and the breakfast team. I will also pass on your comments to Julio's Italian restaurant to prevent this from happening again. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a nice old hotel. It's been renovated, but really just with paint and new (but not very expensive) room fittings. But it's been fun to stay there on my visits to Halifax. There are quirks and it really gets a 'very good' only because one overlooks them in this old hotel. The overall rating is well above my individual ratings on 'service' and so on. Breakfast coffee is served in French presses, but has in fact been brewed elsewhere or is instant coffee, not freshly made in the cafetiere. Not very nice.

But they've just put up their mid-week prices to £89 for a basic room. Sorry, but that's silly. This reviewer will try the alternatives in Halifax, even if they have problematic reviews. It may be that the White Swan is worth twice the going rate, but then again, maybe not.

Room Tip: Upper floors over the front (it's quiet).
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Guest. Thank you for choosing The White Swan for your recent visits to Halifax. And thank you for giving us a 4* review. I appreciate your comments regarding the coffee, we do use a filter coffee at breakfast, but I will keep an eye on feedback. With regards to pricing, our prices start from £45 and we keep them in line with other hotels in the area.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We decided to visit family in Halifax over the New Year period. I searched the internet and this hotel caught my attention. I was surprised at the reasonable rates because, with once living and working in Halifax, I had always thought it would be out of our budget. I booked a room for my husband and myself for two nights. I wasn't disappointed when I saw our room. It was spacious, clean and comfortable. There was ample complementary drinks with decent sized mugs instead of the normal small cups. My husband was quite impressed with these. All the staff were pleasant and helpful and looked as though they were enjoying their work. The breakfast was served in a well presented, warm and friendly room and the food was delicious with a variety of choice. As we often visit our friends and family in Halifax we will most certainly be making a return booking. Anne and Graham Whitby

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your kind review. I am delighted to hear you found the room to be of good value for money and spacious. I will pass on your kind comments to all the staff. We would love to see you both again when you are next in Halifax.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on Sat 14th December 2013 for the Embrace (secret) gig. Loved it, from the minute we arrived, and in the unlikely event I ever have cause to return to Halifax we would stay here again.

Far too often, when you stay in traditional hotels like this, you're left feeling almost sad at how they are now just a pale reflection of what they used to be back in their heyday, tired carpets, foisty smells, cracking walls, etc. Not this place, soon as you walk in off the street you know straight away that this place is alive and kicking and will add to the trip rather than be just a place to dump the bags like the soulless chains who have little idea of the meaning of hospitality and who's staff bring as much charm to the reception desk as they would a primark till.

Room was decent size, modern decor, decent flat screen telly, kettle, lovely big bathroom, nice hot shower, in short everything you expect but don't necessarily need, does anyone really need a telly these days as long as the WiFi is working, which it was.

Location was spot on, really close to the bars/restaurants etc without being too close to music, noisy people, discarded takeaway wrappers and heavy petting couples.

Finally, the breakfast, absolutely fabulous. After a night out on the slurp, I'm normally a bit delicate at the breakfast table, and will often be sitting with voracious appetite one minute, followed by wave of sickness the next, so if someone sticks a dubious breakfast in front of me I have to leave it, I can't tolerate cheap and nasty bacon or sausages. The breakfast here was top notch, high quality ingredients, piping hot, good size portion, and the usual great service.

Can't knock anything about this place, only very minor negative is that we couldn't park directly outside hotel, so we had a five minute walk to a Car Park, no big deal for us as we travel light, and like I said earlier, if we ever return to Halifax we won't even think about staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest. Thank you for such a lovely in depth review. It was fantastic to meet you when you stayed for the Embrace Gig. We hope you got all the red paint out! With regards to the rooms and public areas we are pleased you found them to be of good size and décor. It's always appreciated to hear when guests have enjoyed their traditional breakfast. We hope if you are in Halifax again you will come and see us.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

we have stay at this hotel a few times when we come to visit family the hotel staff always offer a warm welcoming smile nothing is to much trouble the breakfast is excellent & very good value always worth getting. location is in the middle of Halifax which is perfect when your family is in Halifax Huddersfield and Bradford we would recommend this hotel as the best place to stay and will be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest. Thank you for your review, your review title is what we want to achieve! The staff will be pleased with your comments. We pride ourselves on our breakfast and glad you appreciated it. Being in the centre of Halifax has it's advantages and I am glad you found this of use. It's lovely to hear you will return, we look forward to seeing you.