“Excellent value”

The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed in the White Swan for 1 night and I thought it was excellent value for money. The room was clean and fresh and had a superb en-suite with an impressive walk in shower. Most needs were catered for in the room, albeit an iron, I'm sure I could have requested one but as it was a typical English evening, I covered my creases with my coat. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and nothing seemed to much trouble. The wireless was free and the breakfast was spot on. The hotel is situated right in the centre and i was able to park right outside for free, although if i wanted a more secure location the offer was there to move it to the hotel car park. For me the only negatives was my bedroom window was very dirty on the outside and there seemed to be slight overkill with the fire doors, removing them would open up the corridors more and give a better view of this lovely old building with all it's features and character. I was very pleased with my hotel and would choose it again if staying in the area.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. It's lovely to hear you found us good value for money. I'm glad you enjoyed one of the new bathrooms we've installed. I'm also pleased to hear you appreciated our free wifi, breakfast, location and parking facilities. I'll pass on your remarks about the staff.

With regards to an iron we do have a laundry room which is accessible 24 hours per day. In response to the amount of fire doors, this is due to regulations.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had 3 nights at the White Swan and were delighted with our choice of hotel. We were warmly welcomed, the car was securely parked for us and our room, although small, was nicely decorated and very comfortable. The central location is perfect for exploring the town on foot. Breakfast, like everything else is served with a smile and cooked to order. The Italian restaurant, Julio's, is accessible by staircase from reception and offers excellent food at a reasonable price. I would heartily recommend this hotel for it's very personal service and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again should I find myself in Halifax.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Voyager54

Dear Guest. It's wonderful to hear you chose the White Swan when visiting Halifax and were pleased with your choice. I'm glad you were welcomed and were happy with the parking arrangements, room, location, breakfast and the service from staff. I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed your meal in the Italian restaurant. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I have recently returned home from a weekend at the white swan. We were greeted with happy smiley faces. The hotel was very clean and up to date the staff were very friendly especially during breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank ryetea
Colin L, Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Many thanks for your kind words. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at The White Swan. I will pass on your kind comments to the staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had one night in this lovely old hotel which has bags of character, extremely friendly and helpful staff and a fantastic breakfast.
We were in a rush when we arrived and the staff were very helpful in getting us checked in quickly and helping us into the lift with all our motorcycling gear and bags.
Breakfast was freshly cooked 'real' food, not processed food such as the scrambled egg that is made from powder that you seem to get in many chain hotels these days.
We made our booking on a special deal and the accommodation including breakfast for two came in at £84. Fantastic value given the size of the room that we were allocated (see below).
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again if we ever need an overnight stay in Halifax in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in an executive room which turned out to be a suite (room 100 I think). There was an ante...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin L, Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at The White Swan Hotel. I will pass on your comments about the staff. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the breakfast and were pleased with room 100, one of our executive rooms.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the White Swan in Halifax on the weekend of the 27/28 April 2013. The room was clean and tidy, the breakfast was excellent and the staff very helpful. And all this for only £49.First class.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Colin L, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful to hear you had a good time at the Hotel. I'm glad you liked the room, enjoyed the breakfast, were pleased with the staff and found the hotel good value for money. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights on the special weekend deal. The Staff were very friendly, the room & bed were very comfortable & clean, the bathroom was huge and had plenty of toiletries and towels. The hospitality trays in the room were full and the breakfasts very generous & tasty. Great touch not having to worry about car parking as they do that for you. Would definately reccommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Colin L, Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Many thanks for your kind review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass you kind comments on to the staff. We look forward to hopefully see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

From arriving at reception I was greeted by two lovely smiles and a pleasant welcome wish. The two young ladies went to my car and brought in my cases, then instructed the valet to park my car into the hotel garage; a beautiful touch normally found in a 5* establishment, a welcomed service within this 3* Hotel.
They took my cases to my allocated room due to my disabilities, on entering the room on the third floor overlooking the front of the hotel; triple glazed window to remove excessive road noise is a beneficial feature, its a double glazed tilt & turn window that is placed in front of the existing sash window that complements the hotels facade.
The room includes a plentiful supply of beverages & milk plus two nice sized mugs, trouser press and a 26" flat screen television with full freeview plus an added bonus of Sky1, Sky Sports 1 + 2.
The en suite is tastefully designed to fit into the ample space, it includes a large power shower with a pleasant supply of toiletries to make your stay feel luxury.
Lots of shelf space to store your own toiletries too.
The bed is a deep posture sprung mattress, which is very comfortable to sleep on, extra pillows are supplied.
Large fitted wardrobe and plenty of drawer space for an extended stay. The room also has heavy black out curtains.
Breakfast is waitress service which is carried out impeccable and second to none, a large selection of cereals and fresh fruits with added extras.
The cooked breakfast is plentiful and the toast is served hot ready for the personally prepared meal.

• Stayed: April 2013
Colin L, Manager at The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your thoughts on Trip Advisor, and so soon after checking out! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I will pass on your comments to the relevant staff about your welcome. It's good to hear you appreciated our refurbishment efforts in particular, the windows, bathroom, flat screen televisions and new beds. I'm glad you found the parking service an advantage and had a lovely breakfast. Thank you again for the review.