“Handy for the bus station”

Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Normally, when I visit Halifax, I stay at Travel Lodge in Dean Clough - and am very pleased with the whole set up there (and have recommended it); but the fact that this new hotel is right by the bus station is useful to me, so I thought I'd test it out.
I booked online and got my room at £19 - very good.
I am pleased that I can book in at 2pm - as this generally coincides with my arrival time in Halifax.
On arrival in Halifax, I walked from the station to where the hotel was supposed to be, but had trouble guessing where it was and how to get to it, lugging luggage and sliding about on icy pavements trying to find the access was a nuisance, I eventually found a very insignificant looking entrance on the plaza.
The staff were very polite and helpful and chatty and determined to push the 'guaranteed good nights sleep' - and promised that I wouldn't go back to T.Lodge after staying at Premier Inn.
I was given a room on the third floor with a large corner window that looked out over the plaza and part of the surrounding hills, it had a door onto a small balcony. The door was locked with a notice on it saying that this was Premier Inn policy and - basically - 'tough', you've got air conditioning what more do you want? ...... Well, actually I would have liked to be able to open the window/door for some fresh air (and to gauge the outside temperature - the weather was varying between freezing and 7 degrees, so I would have liked to have been able to judge what to wear out - and it was a long trip down to the exit to find out!). Also I felt a bit uneasy being 'locked' in a room - emergency information said about locating the fire exits, but as a fire could have been the other side of my bedroom door I would have liked an alternative escape route.
There was a notice telling me I could adjust the temperature in my room via the thermostat - but it would only go down to 19 degrees, so I had to switch it off completely to cool the room down - this presumably also turned off the air conditioning.
The room and furniture all looked new (as would be expected in a three month old hotel), but the towels were rather hard and were more akin to what you'd end up with in a more established hotel - so don't know why that was.
I was surprised to find a limited amount of tea/coffee/sugar/milk on offer in the room 2 white sugar (the small paper packs which equate to half a teaspoonful each), 2 demerara and 2 sweeteners, given that I like a full teaspoonful in my tea then I was stuck after the first 'brew', also there was no decaff coffee included - now I admit that all this could be (and was) rectified by a trip down to reception - it is still the hassle of taking a trip all the way down there to get it - why not put a more generous amount in the room to start with (and include decaff as so many people take it these days) and ensure that your guests are happy!
As far as sleep went - the bed was large and the linen a decent quality - note that you will probably have to tug the duvet from under the bottom end of the bed as they tuck it under the mattress for some reason - but the mattress was very hard and I did not have a good nights sleep - I had trouble getting any sleep at all, the noise from the plaza didn't help, but even after that had stopped I still could get comfy. (No one seemed interested the next morning when I said I hadn't slept well).
Breakfast isn't included in the cost, you can get it from the Beefeater next door for about £8 (which is excessive for a breakfast), I just bought milk and cereal and ate it in my room.

One of my regular visits to Halifax is to attend an event in Sowerby Bridge (about 3 miles away), I will stay at the Premier Inn on these occasions as the easy access to the bus station is a boon for this reason, but for other visits (and for other nights - as I sometimes extend my stay in Halifax when I come up for the Sowerby B visit) I will continue to stay at Travel Lodge - UNLESS there is a sudden improvement on all things mentioned above at Premier Inn!!!
So - sorry Premier Inn - you aint very Premier in my opinion!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 2011Planxty
Andrea H, Manager at Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre. The team appreciates all the feedback you have given us as we always strive to meet the best standards that our guests expect. We hope you will join us for another stay in the future. Should you have any concerns regarding a future visit please feel free to let us know. Kind regards, Andrea H.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed 1 night in the midst of the heavy snow and was delighted by the friendly welcome. Smooth check in with some great recomendatiins for dinner, including giving me a discount voucher for the in house restaurant. Very clean room with everything you need for an overnight stay. 30 mins free wifi included in the room rate. Ate both dinner and breakfast in the Beeefeater on the ground floor of the hotel, good freshly prepared food and againsuper helpful staff. Will definately book to stay here again.

Room Tip: Bath is quite deep and access may be difficult for the less mobile, may be worth checking if a disa...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Andrea H, Manager at Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thankyou for posting your response. The team are delighted with the lovely comments, in both the hotel and restaurant. Please note that should you require easier access in the bathroom we also have two rooms with walk in showers/wet rooms. Please feel free to call and make arrangements should you need in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to Halifax very soon.
Andrea H.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed there whilst attending a birthday party in Ripponden. Hotel is great and still smells brand new, not sure when it was opened. Had a great nights sleep and bed was very comfy. Good shower too - nice and clean and warm and decent amount of water pressure. Easy to park right opposite in the multi-storey car park £5 overnight rate for hotel guests, which is part of the Vue cinema complex. Several chain style resuarants all just outside the main hotel entranc. Would recommend for a nice no frills overnight stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank leedsbear
Andrea H, Manager at Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Halifax Town Centre Premier Inn and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon,
Kind regard
Andrea Heron

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay in the Halifax town centre Premier Inn. What a delightful place to be. Spotlessly clean, very friendly staff and ideally placed in the centre of Halifax, with a multi-storey car park accross the way. The room (501), was very spacious and although the building is in the centre of Halifax, noise was not an issue at all.
We ate at the beefeater next door on both nights, and found both the food and service to be excellent. There are also several other places to eat right on the doorstep, so there is a good choice available.
The only issue we had, (and nothing to do with the staff), is that there is no shaver point in the bathroom. This didn't cause us an issue as we always carry an adaptor with us anyway, but on a newish building, this i would have thought would have been a standard fitment?
Anyway, we certainly would have no hesitation in recommending this PI to anyone. We will definately be returning when next up in the area.

Room Tip: Take your own shaver adaptor
1  Thank NDLCambs

Thankyou for posting your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Halifax. I appreciate your comment about the shaver sockets and appologise that they are not available in the new style bathrooms, however we always have a supply at reception should you require. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next night out.
Andrea H

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend as we were visiting relatives in the area.The whole experience was a pleasure. The hotel is centrally located within a short walk of the town centre and is part of the brand new Broad St Plaza entertainment complex with cinema, restaurant chains and pubs all in one area.We were delighted with the excellent service which was offered from all the staff during our stay and their friendly attitude and approach.The hotel is spotlessly clean and we were particularly impressed with how secure the building was, with key card access required to all lower and upper corridors.We booked a table for dinner at the on site Beefeater, where a great value breakfast is also served. This is one of only four, New concept restaurants , in the country , where the kitchen is located in the middle of the restaurant , open plan , so you can see the food being prepared. The food was excellent and very tasty. All the staff were superb and could not do enough to make your evening a success, however our waiter Jake was exceptional and definitely went the extra yard - thank you ! Breakfast excellent too - we will definitely be staying here again!

1  Thank Lamby64

Dear Lamby64,
Thankyou so much for your complimentary review. The team are always very grateful when our guests take time to feed back to us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed yourselves so much. I have pass on your comments to the restaurant, particulary Jake, and they couldn't be happier. We hope to welcome you and your wife back again very soon to stay with us in Halifax.
warm regards
Andrea H

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Absolutely excellent hotel. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful and the breakfast was without doubt the best "hotel" breakfast I have experienced for a long time. Freshly cooked and not a drop of grease in sight!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike F

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the breakfast team who will be delighted. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon . Kind regards, Andrea Heron

Reviewed January 7, 2013

stayed 1 night - checkin in on the machine - was met by a friendly member of staff who help. Room very clean and lots of light if you want it - can be turned off if you don't - what a change for a hotel to have more than 5w

standard Premier layout and teh location is excelent for Haifax - close to the town centre and also the main exit roads

Parking a dream

Well done

Room Tip: book early - £29 or even $19 available
1  Thank Zillon
Andrea H, Manager at Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Zillon,
Thankyou for taking the time to post your comments. We always appreciate our guests taking the time to do so. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt we delivered the great service and comfortable stay that we promise.
We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Andrea