“Great food in a great setting...”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Great food in a great setting...”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to Crow Nest for my wife's recent birthday. We were seated in a very comfortable and scenic setting overlooking the 9th hole at Crow Nest Park Golf Club.

The waiting staff were prompt, efficient and offered a great customer experience.

The main reason we chose to dine at the Design House at CNGPC was due to the Design House's reputation in Halifax, but we fancied a new setting closer to home.

The menu was really very good and offered choice to all in our party, even those with a choosy palette (My wife). The food was hot and very tasty but even more impressive were the portion sizes, a couple of people have commented saying that they were on the small size - Not in my case, it was almost too filling and tasted out of this world.

If you like the Design House restaurant in Halifax, you will love the new version at Crow Nest. I would definately recommend it to others.

Huddersfield
“Lovely setting with good food and service”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Excellent newly built extension to the club house, certainly more restaurant than dining room. Service was crisp and the food nicely presented too. Prices very reasonable also so I'm sure we'll be returning for another visit.

1 Thank Jim W
“Restaurant with a view”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Visited for lunch, on one of those day's when the sun was shining, affording fine views over the golf course. We took the fixed price menu, which was imaginative, well presented, tasty, and of excellent value. We will return soon.

1 Thank Fueng2768
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Two starving customers!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We visited Crow Nest Restaurant in January 2013. We went with two friends. The duo of soups was a promising start although my husband was not overly impressed with his picnic pack. The sandwiches looked as if they had just left the supermarket shelf, whilst the scotch egg was very small and had a smidgen of black pudding round it, not to mention the egg cup sized amount of crisps.
I ordered the bream for main course. Now, I am not a large person (5ft and under 9 stone) I am not revealing my age but my portion would not have satisfied a 6 year old!! I had one tiny fillet of fish very thinly sliced, one very small croquette potato, a few minute onions and a weeny splosh of lemon sauce. Thank goodness we had ordered some vegetables, at extra cost! My husband had steak, paying a suplement, which was reasonable except for the 1st mouthful of fat and gristle!! The flavours were very good, we have to say, but we would just have liked more food.
I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant if you are on a starvation diet, otherwise choose from the many others in our area which are just as reasonable and where you are offered an acceptable portion of food.

1 Thank phiz820
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“From the sublime......”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Since our last visit to the Design House at Crows Nest, the restaurant has been moved to a brand new extension purposely built to host the expanded Design House. The Dining Room looks good and with a view over the course it promised much on the lunch time when we visited. Unfortunately looks can be deceiving and what followed was a let down and a huge disappointment. The room was cold - air con at its worst, and the constant opening of doors meant regular blasts of cold air invaded the room. A warm welcome might have helped but the three staff were surly at best and lacked any semblance of professional training. Drinks orders - simple enough surely - resulted in confusion and when the food was ordered the wait began..............around an hour later and an error with the till to blame, the food eventually arrived. A decent duo of soups was passable, and the garlic mushrooms just about ok even if spotting the garlic was hard work. The mains of salmon (fair), pork (good), and chicken in a broth (rubbery and almost inedible) were a mixed bunch. The chicken broth lacked body and taste of any description. The accompanying vegetables had clearly spent as much time in a pan as the staff had at charm school: why serve green beans as a side vegetable with a salmon dish that already had them as part of the dish ?? The delay in the food did solicit the offer of a free round of drinks - things were looking up - but confusion reigned amongst the staff over just which beer I was or was not drinking. With just two ales to choose from their confusion was hard to comprehend. Desserts of sticky toffee puddings were - at this stage - surprisingly good. The saving grace was the size of the bill - inexpensive but still too much for what can only be described as dining out at its worst. We will not be rushing back. What happened to the excellent Design House at Crows Nest of 12 months ago ??

• Visited December 2012