“Great place”

Eureka! The National Children's Museum
Ranked #3 of 37 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We're an award-winning children's museum in Halifax, West Yorkshire, with more than 400 interactive exhibits which inspire children aged 0-11 to learn about themselves and the world around them through imagination, discovery and, most importantly, play!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Leicester
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great place”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Went there with our two children (2.5y and 3w old!). Our daughtet loved it. Loads to do and interact with. We were there for 3 hours - enough to keep her amused.

Admission for the 4 of us was about £25 and gives admission for a whole year.

Food is pricey. Next time we would take food with us as there is loads of indoor pinic space.

Definitely worth a visit!

• Polish first
Harrogate, Yorkshire, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic day out!”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have to admit-I was scared! We went on the last Sunday of Feb half term. The day the website pitches as the busiest day of the year. We arrived 10 mins before opening and the car park was dead. The staff on the ticket office were super, fun, friendly and efficient. Yes is was packed but it was fantastic fun and well managed. My kids had a whale of a time and I thought the ticket price was very very reasonable. It is located 5 mins from the town centre so I think next time we will have a mid play chill and head for a bite to eat in the town centre before heading back. We shall return!

Ripon, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Great day out for the kids”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Brilliant day out!!

My daughter loved her visit to Eureka and is already asking when she can go back! Its fun and educational for kids and adults alike. Only downside is the food served is at best edible and at worse, incredibly expensive... I will definately be taking advantage next time of the picnic areas and taking my own pack up!

Leeds
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great idea, but very tired and too small”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

It is a brilliant museum if you go during term time or on a scorching hot day, but in school holidays on cold days it can not cope with the numbers that go. The place is too small, but the owners don't seem to mind, they just let more and more people in. One has to wonder about fire safety.
Some of the exhibits are very tired, with broken exhibits and missing parts. For the price it costs to go in I expect better.
The food is extremely disappointing. Rather over priced canteen style food, and a much to small cafe with tables too closely crammed together.

It is worth a visit on a quiet day, but take your own pack lunch and either go at opening time, or towards the end of the day.

Visited February 2014
SophieatEureka, Web & Media Manager at Eureka! The National Children's Museum, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hi TiggerKat77 & thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit. It’s great to hear your lovely words about visits during our quieter periods, but just to respond to some of your other comments and concerns…
February and October half-term are the busiest weeks of our year, and we try very hard to ensure that visitors are aware of the high visitor numbers, queuing times, etc. I would reiterate your advice to come along first thing or later in the afternoon, from 2pm onwards, if visitors want to avoid the worse of the queue. Also yes, you are absolutely right – we’re definitely busier when the weather is bad so do come along on sunny days if you want to avoid the crowds.
Also, just to reassure you that safety is our absolute priority, and we do therefore monitor entrance numbers throughout the day. Also to reassure you that we don’t allow numbers to reach or exceed fire safety regulations.
Thanks again for sharing your great advice, and hopefully see you again soon!
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Haven't seen anywhere else that makes learning as fun as this”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Eureka is a really great idea, make learning about science, technology and the real world fun for kids and it does it pretty well.

We were visiting family in the area and they suggested going here, at first I wasn't sure as the price seemed pretty steep. If you were going to visit here a few times a year then it's good value as the entrance fee covers you for a full year.

BUT.....if you are not from the area then the price is a bit too high, we may visit once again before the year is up but we live 250 miles away so it's not certain.

When we arrived, it was half term, therefore it was busy....we had to queue while those with passes or those who had booked online got straight through....I wish I had done the latter but didn't because I wasn't certain we were definitely going....if you are then this is the way to go. There were attendants handing out umbrellas which was a nice extra touch with the weather being so damp! They also made an effort to entertain the kids as they did it which was good.

Once we got in, it was pretty busy all round but i've experienced much worse in my short time having a child who is now in school therefore we end up doing more in the half terms etc.

Everything seemed to be in good order and the place was pretty clean. We ate out lunch in the railway carriage round the back, it was much nicer and quieter than eating at the tables in the main building. We have a 4 year old and an 18 month old and they both had a great time, we were also with my cousin who's daughter is 8 and she loved it too and has been a few times.

The gift shop was the usual selection but not as overpriced as some attractions I have been to, didn't make use of the cafe so can't comment on that.

We found the staff here friendly, I do think a local concession should be offered with regards to parking, I am happy to pay but £6 is quite a bit for the visit and would be nice if Eureka! visitors could get the same parking for say £3, it's right next door the station though so visiting by train is possible too.

If it was quieter or if there were more staff actively involved, things like the supermarket etc would probably work a bit better......for instance we were patiently queuing with others to sit in one of the vehicles and a boy just got on, his Mum instead of stopping him decided she would take a photo, I didn't want to spoil the day for my daughter so I said nothing. Unfortunately without staff around everywhere you have to rely on the politeness of others and some people just aren't.

All in all a great day had by all and enough to keep the kids occupied for a full day out.