“Worse than a half way house” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Imperial Crown Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Imperial Crown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Surrey
“Worse than a half way house”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

The hotel is formed of two buildings, the one we stayed in above a deserted night club was worse than i imagine a half-way house to be. The room/rooms we stayed in all smelt of stale cigarette smoke, the bath/shower was so dirty i stood on a towel in it, the walls/doors and bathroom were filthy and i felt concerned for my security entering the building on my own. Needless to say we complained, they didn't have a room available in the 'main building' building but moved on the second night . The hotel did not query our complaint as i'm sure they have heard it many time before. I think it's disgusting that they let guests stay in that dirty, smelly out-building.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SW44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Yorkshire, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

Having parked in error for a short visit in the hotel's car park my car was towed - at a cost of £340 to me!!! I could possibly understand a clamp and a small release fee but this is disgusting and imoral and cleary condoned by the manager of this hotel. Like the previous reviewer I would like to know if the tax office is aware of this - I am still awaiting a receipt!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

Stayed here two separate weekends visiting friends in Halifax. Was given the same room, by coincidence. Yes it was a bit of a trail throught the corridors but was well sign posted, and what you expected when staying in an old hotel like this.

The hotel could do with decorating, it's true. I remember when the hotel was opened and it was top class. However, it has all the usual comforts, is ideally situated, and for the price is excellent value. Breakfast was excellent, and the service was pleasant and friendly.

And as for the parking policy - the car park is just over the road, and certainly less distance from the hotel than parking at the far end of the car park of a larger hotel.

If you have been clamped and aren't a customer - DON''T PARK THERE! It is clear that this is the car park of the Imperial Crown. You have no right to park there, you will be clamped. You can't really expect much more from the owners of a centrally placed hotel who have lost their patience with inconsiderate parkers who choose to ignore these facts.

As it happened, I knew of the car park, but the couple who checked in before me were shown how to get their personally by the receptionist.

This is a hidden gem, which is certainly worth a visit for a no frills visit to Halifax.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
warrington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed at this hotel last weekend on a coach trip organized by a local tour company. The hotel is very tired and our room was very small, really only a single room. The bed was very small indeed, smaller than a standard double bed, or we thought so, and there was no bedside light or table on my side of the bed because there was no room for it. The bathroom was a coloured suite! and a tile was cracked and by the bath a tile was missing. The mirror was tatty and it was generally in need of updating.The furniture in the room was scratched and the tv clicker didnt work very well, perhaps it needed new batteries!!! The room was very disappointing. However, the food was very good and the restaurant staff could not do enough for us, they were most pleasant. The general state of our room let this hotel down. Would we stay there again, no I dont think so.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

I am originally from Halifax and returned to my lovely home town on business for two weeks.

The hotel itself could really do with updating - the carpets are threadbare, the upholstery is shabby and the furntiture is scratched. It is very old fashioned and in need of some love.

I don't like to dwell on the negatives, so moving on to the positives...I could not fault the staff. They were always attentive and helpful and went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. I was originally staying in one of the executive suites. Apart from the out-dated look of the room, I loved the layout of this - it had stairs within the room and a separate lounge/bedroom area. However, it was bloomin' freezing! One radiator was not enough to heat this room in freezing January.

They provided me with heaters but these weren't enough so I finally decided to move rooms. This was no trouble for the staff and they gave me a room in the warmest part of the hotel :-)

The rest of my stay was ultra comfortable and I felt looked after. Other plus points of the hotel are the location and the value. I believe it costs around £40 a night for a room and it is conveniently located opposite the railway station, at the bottom of town (away from all the pubs & clubs).

Not the lap of luxury but the positives make up for it!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GreenEyes23
yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

I'm from Halifax but am currently working away. In the last few months me and my partner have stayed in this hotel twice when we have been back visiting family and friends. The question is: would I stay in this hotel again? Rock bottom rate and I probably would due to the location - however my partner point blank refuses to ever go back due to our experience.

1st stay was at end of Summer 2008 for one night. Didn't see much of the hotel as checked in and went straight out to meet friends. I managed to get in to the hotel ok, but when my partner tried at approximately 2am the door was locked and he could not enter. He had to wander around trying to keep warm until he could get in at 6am.

2nd stay the weekend before Christmas 2008 for three nights.
Was allocated room 110.

NOISE

The noise was absolutely terrible from the functions downstairs. On the 2nd night I was a zombie from lack of sleep and ended up calling down to reception (from my mobile as the phone in room would not ring down) and asking what time the music was due to finish. The guy said "oh are you in the room above the dancefloor" my reply "yes judging by the fact that I can hear the music word perfectly, do you get these calls often from people in these rooms" his reply "all the time". This was also repeated by the female receptionist the morning after. She advised they get complaints all the time and to follow it up once home. When lying in your bed you could feel the base vibrating the room slightly, the music was louder than the volume you would have the telly at in your room, you could actually hear people's shouty conversations over the music. The music didn't stop until after 1am and then it took a while for people to disperse (could then hear people hanging around outside so had to shut the window). Then people proceeded to run around the hotel until 4.30 am (well, that was when I fell asleep!), then was woken up at 7am with people getting up for breakfast. When people are in the corridors there is no sound proofing WHATSOEVER and it sounds like they're right next to you. Also, as the parish church is just across the road you will be woken by bells ringing. On the plus side though in our room we were not bothered by traffic noise and heard nothing of the train station which again is across the road.

THE ROOM

The room was tiny. It was smaller than in airport hotels or budget hotels etc etc. To get around the end of the bed you had to walk sideways between the wardrobe/dresser and the bed. The hotel website makes the hotel look quite sumptiously decorated. Couldn't be further from the truth!!!! Imagine a comedy BB or a relative's house from the 70s. All dusky pink and olive green. The headboard had scratched the wallpaper so it was all scuffed and peeling off. The furniture which in it's day would have been nice (dark, solid wood) was scuffed and scratched to bits. The bathroom was a bit mouldy and peeling also, with not enough ventilation. The bathroom was also filthy when we arrived, extremely dusty and full of short black hairs. The shower although old was powerful which was a plus point, but as it was in the bath, which has high sides, was a big step to get into. The TV in the room supposedly had sky but we only had the main terrestial channels. Another plus point though was the blinds and blackout curtains - it would have been easier to sleep in the day than at night! There were radiators in the room so could control yourself and it was nice to be in a hotel room where you could actually open the windows! The hairdrier wasn't great so would advise to take your own. We were provided with shower gel, shampoo and soap, and also basic tea and coffee making facilities with biscuits.

FOOD AND DRINK

Stayed on a room only basis (wasn't going to pay best part of a tenner pppn when staying in the town centre!) so can't comment really. However we were going to get room service until we saw the menu. It didn't look appealing at all e.g. cold gammon with chips. £5 tray charge as well for room service. On the Friday night my partner went to get a drink from the bar to bring up. It took him the best part of half an hour. As there was a function on there was no-one behind the normal bar and he had to track someone down to serve him. Then after paying the barman walked off without actually handing his pint to him so he had to find someone again!

PUBLIC AREAS

The entrance and reception area is quite warm and cosy and I did like that. However, I didn't see a lift whilst I was there, the carpet on the stairs was threadbare. It was quite confusing as to get to our room we had to go up some stairs, round the corner, up some more stairs, round the corner etc etc and we were on the 1st floor?! The corridors were very narrow (possibly just enough room for 2 people to pass each other if they didn't mind getting up close and personal!!). The doors were dark wood and scuffed. To get in the room you got an electronic key card type thing. At one point in our stay it "ran out" and we had to go back to reception to get it working again.

LOCATION

This has to be one of the plus points for this hotel. Near the train station. Near the bus station. Parking close by. Near the shops. Near the bars. Please note that Halifax itself is on an slight incline and you are at the bottom. The shop are in the middle and the bars/clubs are at the top.

PARKING

We had no problems parking. We parked in the car park by Hughes Corporation. If you have the train station on your right, the hotel on your left, take the right hand turn by Burger King then right again into car park. (If this is full there is a massive car park just below it which you would need to pay for). One of my pet hates is hotels without parking or with offsite parking, but this is literally a minute's walk away.

TOURIST ATTRACTIONS ETC IN HALIFAX

Eureka - museum for kids, across the road.
The theatre is called the Victoria Theatre and they get some good shows/gigs/acts etc. You're about 200m from it.
There are a lot of walks etc in the area.
Halifax is a Victorian town and there are tourist attractions built around this theme.
Shopping is pretty basic though definitely worth a wander.
Further afield you have Hebden Bridge, Bradford, Huddersfield, Howarth, Leeds, Meadowhall shopping centre nr Sheffield, Manchester (including Trafford Centre nearby). Blackpool, Whitby, Liverpool, York, Chester are also within an hour or two.
The Shay is a 15 minute walk, if that.

BARS

Halifax is big on drinking and there are lots of bars to choose from, all in staggering distance of each other! Try:
Goose, Commercial Street
Wetherspoons or Barracuda around Bull Green (lots of bars up there)

CLUBS

Main ones are Jumpin Jaks (chain - bit of everything, focus on cheese)
Or across the road from there you have Liquid (chain - dance mainly, with R&B) and Maine Street (cheese) (those 2 are in one building so 2 for price of 1)

EATING OUT

Lots of Indian restaurants dotted about.
La Luna - brand new. Mixed menu i.e. tapas, pasta, steak. Main chicken dish was £6.95, bottle of house white Pinot Grigio £6.95. Nice mediterranean style. Westgate.
Hairy Lemon, Lord Street - top of town. Tapas & wine.
Othellos, North Bridge - Greek. Authentic with smashing plates!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — tatty, noisy, expensive for what you get
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
5 Thank lindsayu
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

I booked directly with the hotel, after needing somewhere to stay as I was taking my Dad to Halifax to visit relatives.
Checkin was easy, though couldn't find the car park so parked outside the Arts Centre next door - apparently the car park is across the main road, 50m away!
The hotel is a bit of a maze, as several buildings were joined to make the one hotel, and I didn't see a lift. Once in the room, I was impressed, quite roomy and clean. TV, tea and coffee, big bathroom. Only downsides - headboard of my bed squeaked when I moved (we had a twin room), and TV was to the side of one of the beds.
Breakfast was good, full English plus help yourself to cereals, fruits and yogurts.
All in all, a good hotel and I'd stay there again, especially as I got a deal direct at hotel for £49 B&B.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — TV was to the side so watching made my neck ache
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled with family