The Imperial Crown Hotel
$47
Travelodge
$73
PremierInn.com
The New Hobbit(Sowerby Bridge)(Great Value!)
$118
$114
Travelocity
All reviewsno lifttrain stationlocation is excellentprawn cocktailbit datedpiece hallcar parktown centreflights of stairssunday lunchbar and restaurantfree parkingbreakfast was excellentan upgradean updatebiscuitslovely hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We have been coming to this hotel for many years it improves each time.
Every visit staff have always been most helpful ,the evening meals very good and breakfast fantastic cooked to order just as we like it.
The hotel is old but not without charm and always very clean .
We always make good use of the railway 2minutes away and can meet up with friends in Manchester also Leeds without the problem of parking.
We look forward to our next visit .

Room Tip: As always you get the best rooms if you book well in advance and very often the late deals are at the back .We use a hotel as a base ,
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed here on a Special Deal we found on the internet and it was great to get away from London for a few day's.
Like other's have said it is not the most Modern of Hotels and the Bathrooms do look a bit dated and bodged and we had the wonderful grey suite as well, looked like someones Dad had been let loose to decorate lol. Overall though the Hotel does have a certain amount of charm. We had a twin room at the back of the Hotel and on the smallish side but clean and for the price we paid we had a real bargain. It was so easy to find the Hotel and get our bearings etc and is a great base. You can choose breakfast from a Menu card and they cook it fresh the full English is there but they also have things like Kippers and Smoked Haddock, even an Omlette if you wish. We didn't dine in the Restaurent about from the first night when we fancied Burger and chips which is on the bar menu but they let us have in the Restaurent. The chips were to die for chunky and with skins on and the burger ws lovely. As has been said the staff were very friendly and we felt comfortable and at home here. Halifax was Ok not the best place I have ever been to but certainly not the worst and the surrounding countryside is certainly very pretty so if you have a car great.
We went to York for the day which is about 1hour 15minutes by train and as others have mentioned train station just across the road (little tip becasue wasn't clear to us there is no direct train and you need to change at Leeds). Overall we enjoyed ourself and for the right price you should give it a whirl.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We went here as part of a special offer, the room we were given was tiny, the bathroom suite was grey, no shower screen just a curtain on a wire !!. our toom overloked the roof do not a good view. We usr special deals to try and find places to visit agasin, based on the fact they obvioulsy gave us the cheapest room it means we would never go there again or even recommend it. However the staff were helpful and the dining room was spectacular, another reason why it was such a let down when we were given the room we were. . Even on a speocal deal I think we payed over the odds I could of stayed in a premier inn for less money and had a better room

Room Tip: Do not take room 107 unless your a single person, does not suit a couple
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is opposite the railway station, on the edge of the town centre. The staff are helpful and friendly. I stayed one night on business, a repeat visit. The hotel is clean. The restaurant is OK too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Good points - I had a strong free wifi signal in my room. Room was really clean.

Bad points - Whole place needs the insides ripping out & modernising. My room was like something you'd find in an old peoples home & the bathroom looked like it was styled in the late 1930's. Corridors of the hotel have thick dark patterned carpets & dark badly painted walls. It just feels grim.

Room had a four poster bed in with no curtains on, so all the nuts and bolts & unpainted bits of wood were visible - I'd much rather have just had a normal bed.

Room was on the front of the hotel & as it was a warm night you had to have the window open - which meant that the busy road and train station directly outside kept you awake all night. Even with the windows shut it was still noisy every time a car went past.

Bathroom door would't shut by about 3 inches as not fitted properly so light from window filled room all night.

No proper shower - just a grubby looking shower head connected to the bath taps which when extended I couldn't even get under properly and I'm only 5'4" so no use if you are tall.

Hotel car park is over the road and down a side street which is not really signposted well so took me a while to find. Ended up parking my car on the road and having to go into the hotel to ask.

The lamp on my bed stand was last PAT tested in 2004 - just shows how long it's been since anything was cared for properly in the place.

As it's a Corus hotel & advertises wedding facilities I expected it to be really nice inside. I was very wrong!

This was a business trip so my company paid - had I have paid rack rate personally for this place I'd have been really annoyed. Will just make sure I don't stay in this one again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business