“Well priced hotel”

The Imperial Crown Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is opposite the railway station, on the edge of the town centre. The staff are helpful and friendly. I stayed one night on business, a repeat visit. The hotel is clean. The restaurant is OK too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Good points - I had a strong free wifi signal in my room. Room was really clean.

Bad points - Whole place needs the insides ripping out & modernising. My room was like something you'd find in an old peoples home & the bathroom looked like it was styled in the late 1930's. Corridors of the hotel have thick dark patterned carpets & dark badly painted walls. It just feels grim.

Room had a four poster bed in with no curtains on, so all the nuts and bolts & unpainted bits of wood were visible - I'd much rather have just had a normal bed.

Room was on the front of the hotel & as it was a warm night you had to have the window open - which meant that the busy road and train station directly outside kept you awake all night. Even with the windows shut it was still noisy every time a car went past.

Bathroom door would't shut by about 3 inches as not fitted properly so light from window filled room all night.

No proper shower - just a grubby looking shower head connected to the bath taps which when extended I couldn't even get under properly and I'm only 5'4" so no use if you are tall.

Hotel car park is over the road and down a side street which is not really signposted well so took me a while to find. Ended up parking my car on the road and having to go into the hotel to ask.

The lamp on my bed stand was last PAT tested in 2004 - just shows how long it's been since anything was cared for properly in the place.

As it's a Corus hotel & advertises wedding facilities I expected it to be really nice inside. I was very wrong!

This was a business trip so my company paid - had I have paid rack rate personally for this place I'd have been really annoyed. Will just make sure I don't stay in this one again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2012

First the good points - the location is excellent, across the road from the railway station and within easy walking distance of everything in the centre of Halifax, including the Piece Hall which is just round the corner. The accommodation was clean and well looked after and the breakfast was ample and well prepared. The price was I thought very reasonable. Now the bad points - the room we were given was far too hot. I am not quite sure why; looking at the outside of the building I wonder if it was immediately above any area used for drying out towels? We were able to open the window a little, but it opened towards a busy main road and this meant that we were exposed to the traffic noise outside. if I were to stay there again I think I would ask for a room at the back of the building.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back, away from the traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Needed a place to lay the head for a weekend away for Mother's Day, with my mother. Plan was to hire a car and spend the day exploring the Dales. We chose Imperial Crown because we'd stayed at Corus Hotels before and our stays have always been no fuss, comfortable and the food great in the restaurants. Full English Breakfast thrown in doesn't hurt either!

Loved the fact that we were staying in an historic old Coach House! The place really has a lot of character and the interior is charming. The beds were super comfy, the staff lovely. Couldn't really ask for more.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank aurora l
Reviewed May 20, 2012

we stayed here as we got a good deal on net didn't look much from outside but is a listed building bar and dining room worth a look the room was clean and nice biggest bath i have ever seen you could swim in it no complaints at all staff were so nice my new husband wasn't too well and missed breakfast which was lovely they made him a very light lunch so kind wasn't too impressed with halifax but hotel good value if you need to go very handy for the train station and dinner was nice not great choice but we enjoyed the food we had no lift

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank weesam
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the imperial crown for 5 nights for work.

The location is excellent - you can walk everywhere from here. Boots, WH Smiths and Tesco just around the corner too.
I was lucky as I was in a large room - however it did look onto a busy road and building so when I was in the room I generally had to keep my curtains closed.
The room was clean and ok.

Bathroom was hideous - Gray bathroom suite with a noisy fan and I didn't have a shower screen - it was a make shift curtain on the wire you use for hanging wet stuff on. It was too long and blocked the plug and was a real accident waiting to happen. Management need to get this fixed as it is a health and safety issue.

Restaurant was nice - good was lovely and the staff really personable and lovely too.
Breakfast was good - good selection and hotel breakfast could be ordered.

Staff were really nice in the hotel and really went out the way to help you - particularly matt in the restaurant.

The hotel has so much potential but def needs a refurb.
After 3 nights I had had enough and couldn't wait to get home. I would def choose this hotel again - for a night or 2 but longer than that I would need more facilities.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Sarahjane G
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here st patricks weekend and found the hotel very nice. we never ate in the hotel as the prices around the town are a lot cheaper, the rooms were small but clean the staff were nice too.The hotel is old but everything you need for short stay, also there is no lift, If your staying in Halifax then this hotel is near everything the station is directly across from the hotel. If we had known it was so near then we might have booked the train, we got a taxi from manchester airport however i would look up ziggys taxis before you arrive and book them as they are half the price of the airport taxis. We didnt do any sight seeing while we were there but if i was going back again, i would look up some attractions.

Room Tip: Look for a room away from the TAXI rank outside as they are a bit loud at night, our room was facing...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
#7 of 10 in Halifax
Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre
Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The Imperial Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!