“Will be going back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
London
“Will be going back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Have to admit I wasn’t looking forward to spending a couple of nights
in Halifax. The drive there didn’t do much to raise my sprits either.
When I eventually pulled off the M62 and made my way to my hotel I was
getting more and more apprehensive. I began thinking of illnesses I
could fake that would prevent me from attending the conference but
leave me well enough to turn around and drive home.

I was still lost in my thoughts as the Sat-Nav guided me into the
hotel drive. Within moments I’d forgotten where I was, what a stunning
building! And things just kept getting better. Met with a glass of
wine and shown to my room by incredibly friendly, but not overly so,
staff. A quick shower to wash away the road, relaxed in front of the
flat screen on big comfy bed in my well proportioned room.

Then to dinner, absolutely delicious. Great service, wonderful menu
and a truly relaxed old world atmosphere in a beautiful wood-panelled
dining room.

Breakfast was just as good as dinner. I found myself sitting though
the conference just waiting to get back to the hotel and planning what
I was going to have for dinner! Not something that I usually do when
staying a travel-lodge!

Next time there’s a conference in Halifax I know who’s going to be the
first to volunteer..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

Its very good by Halifax standards, but mediocre by global hotel standards. Still your alternative options are some dodgy looking places in Halifax (the sort of places you need one of those alarmed hotel security door stops), a run-down Holiday Inn on the way to Leeds, or below-average hotels that are 30 minute taxi rides away in nearby towns.

If you have to go to Halifax on business then this is the best place to say, it has some character and the rooms are nice - just don't expect the Intercontinental! The hotel restaurant is actually pretty good, and would be acceptable in London.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Snobs_Travel
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

We attended a wedding at Holdsworth House in September & stayed over in the hotel on the night. A terrific wedding venue was made simply pefect by the friendly, attentive staff working on the day.

As previous reviewers have commented the gardens are delightful & we left with some great pictures and memories. The food during the meal was excellent & the buffet on the evening much needed after a day of drinking! We must thank the staff on the bar who stayed open till 5am so the more rowdy of us could continue drinking!

The room was great, with a very comfy bed (which made us sleep in!!), but even though we missed the breakfast cut off time the breakfast staff let us grab a bite to eat before our long journey home.

Overall a great day enjoyed by everyone, thank you Holdsworth House :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I returned to the hotel for one night in September, having been to the hotel for a meal earlier in the year.
The food was exceptional; perfectly cooked and presented. The best restaurant meal I have ever had!
The staff we spoke to were friendly and welcoming, the lady on the bar even lent my boyfriend her own lighter when he had forgotten his own, which was kind.
The grounds are stunning and the room was so lovely with a big comfy bed. We have since been telling all our friends about the great time we had.
I would definately recommend this wonderful hotel to others, it is worth going even just for a meal.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I Stayed on business here last week, great hotel in a bizare location. Beautiful room with two floors and a magnificent four poster oak bed on the top floor.

Great public areas, and helpful staff made the stay very pleasant. Dined in the restaurant all three nights, great food and professional service.

Would definately reccommend to others.

• Stayed September 2010
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed in Halifax for 2 nights on business at the beginning of the week, & after initially been a bit worried about my accommodation, this little gem of a hotel instantly put my mind at rest. A truly stunning country house with fantastic 16th century features, this is certainly not Halifax as we know it!

The room was great, fulfilled my every need, plenty of space & a remarkable oak carved 4 poster bed made getting out of bed very difficult!

Both nights I dined in the restaurant with a colleague which was very impressive. The restaurant has a great ambience with its creeky floorboards and burning fires. Mark the waiter that served us on both occasions was very professional, and food was cooked & presented to a very high standard.

I must also thank the young girl on reception, who's name I did not catch who looked after us on several occasions.

Overall a superb hotel, which will ease my fears if I ever need to stay in these parts again!

• Stayed September 2010
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

Like other reviewers, I stayed her on business. Nice place but just misses out a bit

I had to ring reception twice to get a drink in the bar from my mobile. The people are lovely but just so slow on service.

The room was fine, but the bed was upstairs and the light comes in early in the morning as the curtain doesnt provide adequate cover and the loo seat wasnt on properly.

Lovely imagine as a wedding venue with the restaurant and the gardens

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank anonymousfromlondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
The New Hobbit
The New Hobbit
#1 of 1 in Sowerby Bridge
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!