“restaurant booking on the 14.12.2013”

Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Halifax, United Kingdom
“restaurant booking on the 14.12.2013”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

having read other reviews it seem like we went to the wrong hotel. we have every year for the last 10 years or so booked dinner as a special occasion at Holdsworth House hotel for a birthday and wedding anniversary treat. Over the years things have changed, but the location and house would always make this a special occasion. the quality of service along with the quality food served at Holdsworth house should place it and rightly so as one of the best around and certainly in the Halifax area.
the last 2 years have changed with last year when we brought friends with ourselves to enjoy the evening at the hotel we first found that as we entered via the restaurant entrance we had to pass through a very busy wedding reception and a small band playing. this with guest of the bride and groome was most uncomfortable but only to then try and find some staff member to let them know that we had arrived for dinner. All rooms appeared to have wedding gest in them with no area for anyone who had booked dinner at the hotel. We where eventually taken to a seating area at the side of the reception desk for pre dinner drinks. this year we again booked dinner thinking that last year was just a one off only to find the same once again but even worse. we parked again following the sign to the restaurant car park and walked across the garden in foul weather to find the entrance locked. After knocking a couple of time with no response I left my wife in the entrance by the front door where I walked around the hotel to the main entrance only to walk through the hotel and all the wedding guest to let my wife in and to find this door bolted.
We again had to negotiate our way through wedding guest back to reception and spoke to the receptionist where we where told that again there was nowhere to sit as wedding guest where in every room. There was initially no where to sit and no one made any effort to provide this we thought that we would have to stand in reception until we where called for dinner. We where after a while shown to a corner with one chair only and a member of staff then brought a second chair. We had no sooner had a drink brought to our table when we where ushered into the dinning area.

Firstly let me state I have no objection to the wedding venue, but feel that paying restaurant guests should at least have either a bar area set aside for their use and not just sat in any corner that is available as it appears that there are plenty of rooms in this spacious hotel.
This is not completely a dour note as the restaurant staff along with the service and food was once again first class it is only the initial experience that lets this hotel and restaurant down and should be addressed.
GSP Halifax

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HoldsworthHouse, General Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Gavin P.

Thank you for taking the time to feedback back about your recent dining experience at Holdsworth House, and for your loyalty to the Hotel over the years.
We absolutely appreciate the importance of making our guests arrival experience as welcoming as possible, it is unfortunate on this occasion that a guest took it upon themselves to lock the front door due to the high winds, which I understand the Reception apologised for at the time.
As a hotel which accepts all different types of guests we try our very best to the make all our guests feel welcome, however I can see on this occasion we were unable to achieve this and for this I would like to apologise.
On a positive note I was glad that you found both the food and the service to be first class, it is what we constantly strive for.
If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel, have a Happy Christmas and i hope i have the pleasure of welcoming you back personally in the New Year.

Warm regards

Richard Christie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Holdsworth House is definitely the place for any wedding! Myself and Emma had the most amazing time and the staff were fabulous. From our taster night to leaving on the day after we were treated impeccably. No panics, no, stress and always available to help whether that be the receptionists, waiters, cooks, they were all brilliant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brianconnolly635
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear brianconnolly635, many congratulations on your recent marriage, we were delighted to have played a part. Your feedback will be passed on to the team, who will be really happy their efforts resulted in such a special day. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I recently stayed for a week at The Holdsworth House for the second time in around a year, and although the setting is absolutely stunning, I feel I should comment on the poor service at breakfast. While it may not seem that important, as I was there on business and having to arrive at my customer's office every monring I consder it one of the most important aspects of my stays. I only managed to get my breakfast served once, on the other days I had to cancel the order (or didnt get the opportunity to order at all) as the waitress was too busy talking with some actors that were staying at the hotel at the same time. It is a shame as I have another visit due before the end of the year, but I would be reluctant to use this hotel again because of this.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul W
HoldsworthHouse, General Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Paul W,

Thank you for taking the time to review Holdsworth House following your experience with us.

May I firstly say how disappointed the team and I were to read your comments about the service you received at breakfast. Delivering engaging and individual service to ALL our valued guests is our absolute aim, however I can see that we have been unable to fulfill our promise during your time with us, and for this I would like to sincerely apologise.

I will of course be sharing your constructive feedback with the breakfast team, in order that future guests are not affected in the same adverse way you were. If you do have the time speak personally with me I would be most grateful (01422 232362), as I am keen to understand more about what happened and work to reinstall your confidence in the hotel.

On a positive note I was glad that you found the setting of the hotel to be stunning, we continue to work hard to maintain Holdsworth House as a unique and special property with service to match.

Kindest regards

Richard Christie
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I've been lucky enough to stay at Holdsworth house this week when its decorated for Christmas. It's a beautiful hotel anyway but with the Christmas decorations in place it was stunning.
As in previous visits the food was excellent!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Tony B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your views of the hotel.

Holdsworth House lends itself so well to the Christmas period and we love to celebrate it, while making our guests feel special by offering great food and service.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Thank you for a lovely night we were there for a friends wedding so stayed all weekend. Room was great, staff so helpful and food was out of this world. Will be stopping here again one of the best hotels ive ever stayed in A star see you soon

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Lee B, thank you for sharing your feedback. It's amazing for our team to be recognised for their hard work; just a few words can mean so much. Come again won't you!
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels and I have to say Holdsworth House is perfect in every way. The wonderful staff keep it spotless, the food is excellent and the Management is fantastic. I would highly recommend this hotel for any occasion.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Denise E for your very kind words, our team here truly appreciates such feedback. We hope you'll be staying again soon so we can continue our good work.
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We got married at Holdsworth House on the 15th of November and we had such an amazing day. The staff on the day couldn't of been more helpful. The food was delicious. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracy, many congratulations from everyone here on your recent marriage. We are thrilled to have been part of your wedding day and hope that you have many fond memories for years to come. We'd love to see you again at the hotel before your first anniversary.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,437 reviews

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!