“Excellent all in all” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent all in all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Me and my wife got married at Holdsworth house Feb 2012, I have only just got round to writing this review. So I apologise.

We had looked at other venues and they didnt seem to fit and when I mentioned Holdsworth house to my wife, we went for a look and fell in love with the place.

If they modernised the decoration it would lose the value of the hotel. We did the pain free package, and we had issues with the numbers etc. All in all the staff were lovely, friendly and a pleasure throughout.

The food was fantastic, our photographer took us for photos away from the venue and everyone was well looked after with canapes etc.

The evening was a roaring success only. Thank you so much for making our day as perfect as it could be.

If I was hyper critical, the bar in the middle room isnt quite big enough, so when you have 130 wanting a drink it is tough and also, the DJ wasn't the best, it would appear you use a company who sends a DJ out of a pool of 3 or 4. But, that doesnt and won't distract from a wonderful day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Alan S congratulations on your marriage and thank you for choosing Holdsworth House as your venue. We are delighted your day was as wonderful as expected. In recent months we have enlarged the Long Bar bar area as much as possible to offer more space for guests wanting extra drinks pre the wedding breakfast. Of course once wedding breakfasts have commenced guests have use of the large bar area in Stuart Room. We shall feed your comments on the DJ back to the company we use to ensure that we offer the best possible suppliers everywhere we can. Thank you very much for providing us with this feedback. Kind regards and congratulations once more, the team at Holdsworth House.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed a this hotel at the beginning of March due to a family wedding reception being held there.

Rooms were excellent - we booked the house doubles as we had read that the small doubles were very small.

A bonus with the hotel was that we could take our dog with us which meant no kennels were required. Much better all round for us and the dog!

Breakfast was excellent and we ate in the bar for our evening meals as again we could then take the dog in with us.

Choice of food was first class and we can wholeheartedly recommend the fish and chips - Yummy. Breakfasts also very good with plenty of choice.

Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of Holdsworth House, we are delighted that you loved the hotel. Please do pass on your recommendation to family and friends who haven't yet visited. Kind regards.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've stayed at Holdsworth House on business twice now and each time have been very impressed with it. All the staff are wonderful and provide excellent service, really going out of their way to help you. The rooms have always been of a very high standard and are always spotlessly clean. The food has also been excellent at both breakfast and dinner. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here personally or to recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HoldsworthHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Martin D thank you for continuing to choose Holdsworth House for your business trips and long may they continue! It is our pleasure to accommodate you each time and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Warmest regards from the team.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

BUYER BEWARE! I booked to stay in a suite, and on booking.com, and on the hotel web-site, the bed was described as a 'luxurious double.' Therefore, I was expecting a large double bed. However, the beds in the suites are not even double beds, but 3/4 double beds, or 'Queen' size beds as they are officially known. Great if you were a member of The Borrowers...

I informed reception who were very helpful and moved us to a smaller room with a much larger bed, and charged me for the smaller room.

However I felt so disappointed, since what was a surprise for my wife was ruined, that we did not go to breakfast, we just got up and left the hotel and had breakfast elsewhere.

I am airline crew and spend many-a-night in hotels, and feel that this accommodation is overpriced. After-all, the main function of a hotel is to provide a good nights sleep, and providing a 3/4 size double for two people is a total fail.

Sadly when staying in the area, I will be finding alternative accommodation.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jetstreamaviator
Dear jetstreamaviator thank you for staying at Holdsworth House. We are very sorry you were disappointed with the size of mattress in your first room. We have investigated and the mattress is in fact a standard double. Our beds are selected to fit into the varying room layouts of this listed building and we are keen to describe our rooms accurately. Your booking was made through an online travel agent and we have revisited this to ensure each room type is correctly described. We'd recommend guests book direct with us for the best rates, cancellation policy and so we can input special requests straight into our system. We do hope you'll return and we can ensure your specific requirements are met first time.
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed as a wedding guest, the hotel is in a very quaint and picturesque setting with lovely grounds. On arrival staff were very welcoming and friendly, room was very comfortable and clean apart from dust on top of electrical sockets, the bed was extremely comfortable and cosy. During the wedding day celebrations the staff were very attentive ensuring everyones needs were catered for. Breakfast was adequate, loads of choice, opting for a cooked breakfast was a good choice. Would definitely return to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: room with skylight was fabulous.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you derwentside for your review of Holdsworth House and for staying with us whilst attending the wedding. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wedding took place here at the start of March 2013, and in all honesty I have quite mixed reviews. May I begin by emphasing the picturesque setting and building, beautiful gardens, and the ambience the historic nature of Holdsworth House creates. Also, the reception staff are faultless, courteous and helpful, on the many occasions I have dealt with them both in person and via telephone/e-mail requests. A true credit. It's difficult to summise a whole wedding preparation and day in a short review but in brief the problems I encountered include: Constantly having to chase up invoices to pay and then being sent somebody elses/items missing from it. I stayed over the night before with a view to getting ready there on the day. The room in which I stayed was not totally clean. Specifically fluff and dirt, and also a hairgrip around the toilet pedastal and sink in the bathroom. At breakfast I place my order and appeared to be forgotten. Twenty minutes later and still no coffee or toast provided I overheard the waitresses noticing it on the side in the kitchen and saying 'that must be hers' before it appeared. Given I was the only patron in the dining room at the time and they were hardly snowed under, not a great start to making a bride to be feel special. A member of my wedding party required a seat as an aid for when he conducted a reading in the ceremony, this was not provided and did lead to problems. We struggled with the menu choices to find something suitable for everybody and in the end ordered off spec. The food on the day I did not find pleasant. A very watery vegetable broth which looked very unappetising, followed by a chicken breast option which I had not been informed would be on the bone. I was left hungry... I must also mention the children's menu, whilst the food provided was as ordered the portions and style of food I would suggest not actually suitable for infants. The children on the day did not like it, or eat it. Moving onto the DJ in the evening. We had e-mail and telephone contact with him the week before, and provided our first dance choices and a playlist of songs which were all important to us we wanted to be played throughout the evening (not too many, all mainstream and current). This was all agreed. However on the day the DJ came and introduced himself to me, claimed to have no knowledge of all this! And asked for my CD for the first dance. Luckily, we had brought one as a 'back up' and thank goodness we did. Needless to say we got none of our other songs played, and the music was in general very old and complaints were made to me by guests about this. Finally, the bridal suite was somewhat of a let down. I have stayed in one of the suites at Holdsworth House before with the pretty mezanine and skylight, so was excited to see the bridal room. But it was nowhere as nice as that (though pretty rose petal turndown was provided). Also the bedhead is up against the bathroom wall and the rattling sound of the extractor fan kept me awake most of the night. Underwhelmed aplenty. Not wishing to sound too negative the day did run smoothly and there are many fond memories. Perhaps most importantly their co-operation with allowing us to hold a charity event at the same time. But in hindsight would I have gone somewhere else? Perhaps. Would I recommend to a friend? Yes, but only if all efforts were put into ensuring your day ran with absolute precision. I'm just left feeling slightly cold by the whole experience, which given it was my wedding day, is a little sad.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HoldsworthHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Lisa A, we are pleased that overall you were happy with your wedding at Holdsworth House however we are also concerned about a few points you have raised, particularly as this is the first time you have made us aware you were disappointed in any way. We will of course contact you offline to discuss your day as we want all our brides to look back with completely happy memories. We had understood that everything went according to your plan and that you and your guests were happy, especially as we had changed elements of the package to suit your party e.g. serving a premium chicken breast dish at no extra cost, so we are disappointed to hear that you now feel there were things not to your taste or that we could have done better and of course we will look to address those points with our team. We look forward to speaking with you shortly.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

i dont normally write reviews, but just wanted to say what a lovely time we had on Mother's day at Holdsworth House when we came for the champagne afternoon tea.
There was just the right amount of sandwiches and cakes and the individual bone china cups, plates and saucers was a great touch.
Even though there was a wedding taking place at the time, the staff were still attentive to our needs. It was a shame we couldnt go and see the grounds, but it was a bit cold, maybe next time. We will definately be back again.
My mum had a great day. thank you

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lunns4968
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you Lunns4968 for your review. Our Champagne afternoon tea has proved very popular and we are really pleased you loved yours too. We do recommend you return in the summer and try afternoon tea in the gardens when they will be in full bloom.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
The New Hobbit
The New Hobbit
#1 of 1 in Sowerby Bridge
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!