“A pleasant surprise”

Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having stayed in a number of less than brilliant hotels in West Yorkshire over recent years I was recommended this hotel by a colleague and thought I would give it a go - and am very glad I did!

Good points
- the staff are brilliant both at reception and in the restaurant. I had to re- book my stay because of the snow in January and it was done without fuss in a very helpful manner.
- the food is great in the restaurant - evening meals are varied and high quality - breakfast much better than usual hotel fare
- some of the rooms are very comfy and well appointed
- restaurant is vey atmospheric
- plenty of parking

Room for improvement
- the wifi in the hotel rooms is patchy - having now stayed in several rooms it is a bit of a lottery as to whether you get a good signal or not - very frustrating
- some of the rooms are a little tired and their size is on the small side ( on the latter point it is a Jacobean manor house so to be expected I guess)

Will be staying again - hope I get a room with the decent wifi next time :-)

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bob0406
HoldsworthHouse, Public Relations Manager at Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear bob0406, thank you for following your colleague's advice and choosing to stay at Holdsworth House, we appreciate your business. We are investigating the wifi issue, which has recently needed to be reset by reception - a solution which whilst temporary does work. Do contact us direct for the best rate when you book and to ensure we can allocate you the most suitable room.

There are newer reviews for Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Firstly can I say how stunning the grounds look all year round but even in Winter! We arrived at Holdsworth House our first venue visit for potential wedding venues and it was our last as we instantly fell in love with the house, it was everything we dreamed of and more! And the icing on the cake was that they offered great value for money winter wedding packages which was perfect for us. Claire the wedding co-ordinator was great whenever we had a query she replied pronto and helped with all our last minute details and changes!

We married at our local church and travelled to Holdsworth House for our reception. the staff were fantastic and really looked after us, it was our special day and our toast master Tracey was absolutely brilliant she really did look after us on the day. We had forgotten to ask about dietary requirements in all the excitement and at the last minute the Chef whipped up two vegetarian meals. The food was superb,I would even say the best I have ever had! The stuart room was gorgeously set out and they had left the Christmas decorations up so it looked so cosy!

All our family and friends felt so welcomed and relaxed in the hotel and so many who stayed commented on how good a nights sleep they had. The beds were so comfortable that it was very hard to get out of bed. The bridal suite was beautiful!

We lost day light fast on the day and the hotel allowed us to go back and have some more pictures taken in the grounds.

All in all a superb family run hotel which offers great value, a superb location, great friendly staff, and the chance to make some of the most precious memories in your life. I would like to think that Holdsworth House is now somewhere we will continue to visit and on special occasions stay.

I would recommend this hotel for weddings, meals or to stay, you are guaranteed a special experience!

Sarah & John

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah G

Thank you Sarah G for your Tripadvisor review. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful day and are always happy to do what we can to make a wedding day special and unique. We truly believe that by preparing all meals fresh we can cater best to everyone's taste, including whipping up fantastic vegetarian dishes on request! Please come back for more. The team at Holdsworth House.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We made the trip over from Spain to attend my cousins wedding in February, we were booked in at Holdsworth House hotel where the wedding reception was held.
Our stay at Holdsworth House was outstanding, we arrived late because of flight delays and car hire problems. We notified Holdsworth house about our delay and were were assured that there was no problem, we had a very welcoming experience after a fraught journey.
The wedding of my cousin was excellent, every thing went to plan and we were most impressed with the organisation and efficiency of all the staff .
Now back in Spain and have great memories of the wedding day.
Thanks again to the staff of Holdsworth house.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hola Jeanschofieldmalaga! Thank you for your review of Holdsworth House and for choosing our hotel after your long trip for your cousin's wedding. We hope that you will return for a UK break sometime, perhaps a winter break from the Spanish sun?! From the team at Holdsworth House.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

What a lovely idyllic place to stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the suite was lovely (really comfy bed). It was nice to leave the curtains open on the skylight and see the amazing views from the bed. What really made this stay perfection was the new taster menu. It was sex on a plate, no jokes! Pricey at £45 a head but worth every penny. 7 courses, did not leave me over full or bloated, just right on the portion sizes and presented beautifully. There was variety for every taste. The hazelnut and chicken salad was sensational with orange dressing (I would never have thought this would have worked and put these things together) but the smells reminded me of childhood for some reason. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the jubilee dessert, my God!! stunning. We were given advice on wines to compliment the food and finished off with coffee and a licqueur. Definitely worth the money for a special occasion

Room Tip: have a suite, worth the extra (if there is 2 of you though, make sure you ask for 2 gowns and 2 lots...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you Sharon R for your review of Holdsworth House and of course for dining in our restaurant for your special occasion. We hope you'll return and try our bar menu some time for something more relaxed. If not keep an eye out for our restaurant dining events. Thanks again, the team at Holdsworth House.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Driving from the North Essex Coast my engine blew up 2 hours into the Journey.The radiator cap blew off, covering our wedding clothes in the boot with a sorry mixture of water, antifreeze and whatever other gunk you have in a cooling system, (Mid engine car). So the Very nice AA man, Paul from Lavenham towed my car and us back to Holland motors. Our son had already made plans to use his fathers car so I had to scrabble around to organise a hire car. Get home and collect driving licences, get some clothes and pick up the hire car by 5 pm.
So then we set off in the afternoon when we expected to already be there at that time. By the time we got to Halifax the wind and the snow had done their worst and while all the main roads were passable the side roads were not. On our first approach to Holdsworth House our sat nav took us up some pretty steep and dangerously icy roads. Having fought our way back to a main road after probably the scariest half hour I have ever spent in a car in my life. I whipped out the i phone to use google maps and the iPhones unmatchable GPS to find another approach to the Hotel. We were about half a mile from the hotel and there was a turning on the right called Crooked Lane.

Sat nav said turn right, google maps showed there was indeed a road so....... My husband got out of the car to take a look and said it was a little steep at first but then it evened out. Well it did for about 10 feet and around the next bend it plummeted precipitously and was thick with ice and snow. Around the next bend some idiot had abandoned their car diagonally across what was essentially a single track road. There were no hazard lights no warning and the car was black? we braked to avoid it, there was no room to go round it and we just slid into it.
We found out later that this idiot was also staying in Holdsworth House as were we. I hope he doesn't have the cheek to claim on my husbands insurance for his damage, I'll just leave the insurance companies to slug it out and hope they give him what for, for recklessly abandoning his car in that fashion. Having already put the AA to so much trouble that day and looking at the state of the roads I was sure the police would be pretty overwhelmed so in desperation I rang Holdsworth House and spoke to a lovely receptionist called Michelle who in turn put me on the phone to the duty manager who said he knew where we were because the other car owner was already a guest at the Hotel. He offered to come and meet us I explained he would not be able to get up Crooked Lane because it was so icy but he agreed to come as far as he could. He arrived in about ten minutes and with a bit of pushing and pulling he and my husband managed to separate the two cars. I felt the conditions were too treacherous to try and move the cars but he got into the other car having come armed with the keys and I looked on in complete horror as it slid backwards down the hill with him in it. He was either very brave or very foolish (or he was a stunt driver in another life) but it managed to stop before it slid into the road at the bottom which actually had a number of cars racing past in the time that we stood there.
For this reason we couldn't think of continuing down the lane as going forward and with slightly more acceleration due to gravity we could well plough into oncoming traffic. My husband drove the managers car back to Holdsworth House and the duty manager drove the other guests car back. The duty manager was a real hero and doing what he did was surely above and beyond the call of duty. We noticed on the way down that there was a notice at the bottom of Crooked Lane saying "not suitable for motorised vehicles" If only it had had a similar notice at the top. I have since reported this to Calderdale council highways department but I would hope that Holdsworth House would complain to the relevant dept to address this on behalf of future visitors.
Be warned don't trust your sat nav bring a large scale map or make sure you have a smartphone.

We were met in the Hotel reception by the Bride whose wedding we were to attend the next day, I didn't like to tell her that all our wedding outfits were still in the back of the hire car midway up Crooked Lane. We were instantly cheered by the warmth and ambience of Holdsworth House. With very welcome log fire in the bar. It was very late but we ordered coffee and sandwiches which they delivered to our room. I say room but we had booked a suite, room 20 which was delightful it had an upstairs which also had a velux window so it seemed really bright and airy in daylight and cosy and snug at nighttime. A living room and bathroom on the Ground floor. I imagine this layout would not be ideal for anyone with mobility problems so please ask if you need everything to be on one level.
We had a lovely full english breakfast which set us up nicely to enjoy our friends Valentines day wedding.Then another duty manager drove my husband to pick up our car and every trace of ice and snow had gone. My husband noticed then that the lane had square cobbles which had been covered by ice and snow before but which would have alerted us that it probably wasn't part of the ordinary highway.

When my husband brought our clothes in I was very thankful that the suite had a full size iron and ironing table. Unfortunately our room was out of range of the wifi. So if you need it desperately or if you are a night owl who does their Internet business in the wee small hours (you can use it in the bar / reception area) or ask for a room where it definitely works.
In daylight Holdsworth house is very beautiful and every room in the older part of the house was enchanting and the manicured gardens exquisite. Everything went like clockwork for our friends Valentines Day Wedding. From my point of view it all seemed to go without a hitch. The service was simple and elegant and the wedding breakfast a veritable feast followed by disco and dancing and just when you thought you couldn't possibly eat another thing there was a late buffet to keep all of us on our feet.
From our inauspicious arrival to our sorry departure I felt that the staff in general, the duty manager on Wednesday evening 13/02/13 in particular and that nice Michelle on reception went out of their way to be helpful and kind and gave the sort of personal service that one rarely sees these days. Nothing was too much trouble and it was all done in a friendly and helpful way, not the curt obsequiousness one often finds in much more expensive hotels.
I am tempted to return in the spring when the facade at the back of the house presently covered in twigs might be covered in glorious wisteria flowers. Thank you Holdsworth house for lifting our misery so we could enjoy Debby and Matt Burrell's Valentines day wedding and Thank you to Matt and Debby for immortalising Valentines Day. We shan't be forgetting your beautiful wedding for all the right reasons anytime soon.

Room Tip: Room 20 has Twin beds where the Beatles are said to have slept. We were in suite 19 next door which...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dotingrany

Dear Dotingrany, wow we're bowled over. What fun we had reading your review and your story of how you arrived here - so many twists and turns, literally! We do hope that we get to meet you again and yes you really must come back in spring or summer when you can see the fruits of our our gardener John's labour, in a word it's stunning.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

What can I say about this amazing hotel, I got married here on the 10th Feb 2013 and it was perfect, its not just the beautiful surroundings though its the amazing friendly staff that couldn't do enough for me and my husband, special mention for the chef as the food was out of this world, every single one of my guests commented on how good the food was. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us and Phil and Tracey made our day run so smoothly they were fantastic. I cannot say thank you enough to this hotel and the staff enough you gave us our perfect wedding day thank you x Mrs Hinton

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsNHinton

To the new MrsNHinton! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience of Holdsworth House on Tripadvisor. We are of course delighted you chose us to share in your very special day and that it lived up to your every wish. Congratulations and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Took my wife back ro Holdsworth House fot their 6 course special Valentines night. It was epic !! the finest Rack of lamb We have ever tasted. all 6 couses were fantastic and I think very reasonable @ £95 for the two of us.

Room Tip: worth booking a suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stuart B thanks for choosing Holdsworth House for your special night out. We'll make sure chef hears your fine praise! We think you'll like our £20 Yorkshire on a Fork dining events too - keep an eye on our website for details.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halifax
The White Swan Hotel by Compass Hospitality
#7 of 10 in Halifax
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Holdsworth House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!