“New cafe in Mengeham, Hayling Island, Hampshire, UK”
Review of Cafe Dilara - CLOSED

Cafe Dilara
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“New cafe in Mengeham, Hayling Island, Hampshire, UK”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I regularly meet a couple of friends for coffee and a snack lunch in Mengeham and we noticed that a cafe we'd tried and not liked much had a new management and name so we decided to give it another chance.

We were pleasantly surprised by the very competitive prices and the wide range of food on offer. Just about every breakfast combination you could want, and plenty of other options besides, including omelettes, fish and chips and a range of eat in and takeaway sandwiches.

If I had any complaints it would be about presentation - it isn't OK to just halve a sandwich and throw it on a plate, Give it a garnish of a few crisps or some tomato and cucumber.

My tuna sandwich had plenty of filling and was not mostly mayonnaise as I have had elsewhere.

My friends both had filled jacket potatoes, lots of filling and a side salad.

My cappuccino was OK if a bit weak. I'm used to Caffe Nero strength coffee so maybe I will ask for an extra shot next time, or settle for tea. Strangely, the coffee arrived with the teaspoon in the cup. Not normal British habit, but it maybe in Turkey and North Africa and even India.

Overall a very good first visit,

• Visited June 2014

London, United Kingdom
“We'll be back”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was a lunchtime visit to a cafe we'd been to before under a previous management.

My two friends had jacket potatoes with a filling and salad on the side. The portions were generous and the food was tasty.

My sandwich was good although I would have preferred to have been asked if I wanted brown or white bread and also it could have been better presented. Even a simple sandwich looks more appealing if nicely quartered and put tidily on the plate with a bit of salad garnish.

We were served promptly and we did not have to wait long for our food.

The coffee was a different matter. My cappuccino tasted suspiciously like a packet instant version although the cafe has a proper machine, I noticed when we went to the till to pay, it looked like it wasn't being used. The coffee underneath the froth was very weak so maybe next time I will ask for an extra shot of coffee or perhaps I'll just have tea.

The menu has just about every breakfast combination you can think of and they are amazingly good value, I may re-visit with another friend at the weekend to sample. I also saw another customer tucking into a nice plate of fish and chips so there's another option.

There are a couple of tables outside and the management need to ensure that when a table is cleared, the ashtrays are emptied and wiped because not all outside customers are smokers and a full ashtray is very off-putting.

This could become a very popular destination for those who like a traditional English cafe menu and the prices compete very well with Mengeham's other casual eateries.

I'll give it an 'average' for now, like all new managements they need to settle down and find out what their customers like best - perfectly acceptable, but a little improvement needed to get a higher rating.

• Visited June 2014