Waratah Lodge
Langstone Hotel(Hayling Island)
$64
Hotels.com
Newtown House Hotel(Hayling Island)
$111
$70
$67
The Crown(Emsworth)
$71
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$63
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsbusy roadhome from homeplace to staystayed here for nightshigh standardlindahostsslipperscomfort
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went to stay for just one night. The whole of the lodge is absolutely spotless how Linda ( the owner ) manages this is quiet unbelievable. Yes you were asked to take off your shoes,but this is also someone's home and I like people to take their shoes off in my house too. The breakfast was excellent. I read one review that said you couldn't make noise but we went to the pub till late then come back and had the tv on till late and no one said a word. Overall it was a great place to stay. Clive and Linda couldn't be more accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having just scanned the Trip advisor rating I went ahead and booked this B&B because 1. most ratings were about 4 and 2. it was in the area we needed to be in.

Once booked I read the reviews, (back to front way of doing it I know - lesson learnt!) It was then I discovered that people had issues with the fact that this B&B had a no shoes policy in the house and no food/drink policy in the rooms. I was comfortable with removing my shoes but not with having to be barefoot (I don't in my own house let alone in a house that is visited by many people) so I went prepared with a pair of disposable slippers, the kind you get for free in bigger hotels. I think that if you are expected to remove your shoes you should be provided with an alternative.

Anyway the accommodation was spotlessly clean except for the random, over bed- wall hanging-fabric, which was really dusty and didn't help my asthma, I wondered why I had been wheezy all night then in the morning laying in bed you could literally see the dust clinging to the piece of fabric that was hanging on the wall.

The décor in the room was novel (red and white) but fresh and pleasant, the rest of the house (the lounge, hall and kitchen) was cluttered but quaint with lots of family photos and ornaments - interesting. The host, Linda, was very chatty and pleasant although I felt a little intimidated, it felt like- you are welcome in my house but you we do as I say - maybe it was just the vibe I felt.

Breakfast was good and service was efficient, all in all it served its purpose but I doubt that we would return, especially as, on leaving and halfway up the M3, we realised my husband had left his jacket in the wardrobe, I called and offered to pay up front the postage/package and inconvenience fee for the jacket to be posted on as we were on our way back up north but was very curtly told no as basically we weren't trusted to pay - bizarre as I had offered it up front.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank susan k
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I firstn heard about Waratah from a colleague, after stopping in hotels week after week. Waratah turned out to be excellent, home from home. No problem with shoes off, Extremely clean and tidy with friendly owners to boot. This is my sixth visit and I would recommend Waratah to anyone, despite the occasional negative comment.

Room Tip: Family room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aewuk15
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I chose this B&B following Trip Advisor ratings and reviews but want to be honest and say I was very disappointed. The accommodation could not be faulted and the owners, Clive and Linda, were very friendly and welcoming, but having stayed at numerous B&B's throughout England, Scotland and Wales, felt that I was there for their convenience and not the other way round. I was prepared for the need to take my shoes off, this was not a problem for me as I was wearing sandals, but my husband found it more difficult with laced shoes. As someone who cannot function without my first cup of coffee, I did however find not being able to have one in my room very difficult. I had to get up, wash, dress, go downstairs, wait for kettle to boil, make coffee and remain there whilst I drank it and I couldn't enjoy a glass of wine before bed as I usually do at other establishments. There were little notes of what not to do throughout the premises and I found it very difficult to relax. We were at breakfast, which was nothing special, when Mary F from Basingstoke (see her comments re this B&B) and her friend were reprimanded, and to be honest, were relieved it wasn't us who'd done something wrong and could not believe it was spoken about in front of us! I must say Mary F was very good about it, especially as we had all been woken up by the people leaving early! I would not recommend this B&B for a relaxing getaway.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Elaine P
Reviewed May 19, 2013

What a bizarre experience! My friend and I stayed for one night at Waratah Lodge in separate rooms. On arrival we were told it was a "no shoes establishment" and therefore we were to remove our shoes. Then we were offered a cuppa - "Yes, please", we said, only to discover that drinks are not allowed in the bedrooms so we had to stay downstairs in the kitchen until we had finished our drinks. Only then were were allowed to our rooms which although decorated with a bizarre range of mainly homemade artefacts were very clean and comfortable, and, if anything, too warm. On entering my room, the family room, I was told to use one bed only, not to even sit on the other! I was then told that the shower did not work but to have a bath. I don't like baths... Downstairs we were asked if we would be eating out - "Yes, can you recommend anywhere?". Before we had time to draw breath the owner had booked us a table at a local pub - was commission involved, we wondered?!! From the bedroom window I could see a strange array of homemade sculptures in the garden so just had to go and explore - they included a display of old CDs which caught the sunlight, an oriental face made out of shells and a hoop of what looked like ducting. Quirky! After returning from the pub we sat in one room just quietly chatting and watching the scoring of the Eurovision Song Contest - we had the TV turned down low as the singing had finished. At 10.50pm we were called on the phone by the owner and were told they could "hear every word we were saying" and could we be quiet as the people in the next room were trying to get to sleep as they would be up at 5am!!! We were stunned. We were only chatting quietly, hardly having a party! So we are not allowed to wear shoes, eat or drink in our room, take a shower, sit on the spare bed and now even talk - good grief! In the morning we were told that the walls were soundproofed but the doors were thin.... Breakfast was average, nothing special - a limited range of cereals, sloppy breakfast and cold toast. I was questioned because I didn't eat all my breakfast. There was plenty of hot water and a good supply of towels. Toiletries were basic - bargain bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower wash and bubble bath. Nothing "special". The owners were friendly but clearly have their own way of doing things. For £50 a night I would have expected a better experience and was disappointed. I have stayed in lots of B+Bs all over the country and have never (1) been told to remove my shoes, (2) not been allowed a drink in the bedroom and (3) not been allowed to talk. It was an interesting experience which I am sure my friend and I will giggle about for many years but I certainly wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends