“No drinks in room”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hayling Island B&B and Inns
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“No drinks in room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I chose this B&B following Trip Advisor ratings and reviews but want to be honest and say I was very disappointed. The accommodation could not be faulted and the owners, Clive and Linda, were very friendly and welcoming, but having stayed at numerous B&B's throughout England, Scotland and Wales, felt that I was there for their convenience and not the other way round. I was prepared for the need to take my shoes off, this was not a problem for me as I was wearing sandals, but my husband found it more difficult with laced shoes. As someone who cannot function without my first cup of coffee, I did however find not being able to have one in my room very difficult. I had to get up, wash, dress, go downstairs, wait for kettle to boil, make coffee and remain there whilst I drank it and I couldn't enjoy a glass of wine before bed as I usually do at other establishments. There were little notes of what not to do throughout the premises and I found it very difficult to relax. We were at breakfast, which was nothing special, when Mary F from Basingstoke (see her comments re this B&B) and her friend were reprimanded, and to be honest, were relieved it wasn't us who'd done something wrong and could not believe it was spoken about in front of us! I must say Mary F was very good about it, especially as we had all been woken up by the people leaving early! I would not recommend this B&B for a relaxing getaway.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Elaine P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

What a bizarre experience! My friend and I stayed for one night at Waratah Lodge in separate rooms. On arrival we were told it was a "no shoes establishment" and therefore we were to remove our shoes. Then we were offered a cuppa - "Yes, please", we said, only to discover that drinks are not allowed in the bedrooms so we had to stay downstairs in the kitchen until we had finished our drinks. Only then were were allowed to our rooms which although decorated with a bizarre range of mainly homemade artefacts were very clean and comfortable, and, if anything, too warm. On entering my room, the family room, I was told to use one bed only, not to even sit on the other! I was then told that the shower did not work but to have a bath. I don't like baths... Downstairs we were asked if we would be eating out - "Yes, can you recommend anywhere?". Before we had time to draw breath the owner had booked us a table at a local pub - was commission involved, we wondered?!! From the bedroom window I could see a strange array of homemade sculptures in the garden so just had to go and explore - they included a display of old CDs which caught the sunlight, an oriental face made out of shells and a hoop of what looked like ducting. Quirky! After returning from the pub we sat in one room just quietly chatting and watching the scoring of the Eurovision Song Contest - we had the TV turned down low as the singing had finished. At 10.50pm we were called on the phone by the owner and were told they could "hear every word we were saying" and could we be quiet as the people in the next room were trying to get to sleep as they would be up at 5am!!! We were stunned. We were only chatting quietly, hardly having a party! So we are not allowed to wear shoes, eat or drink in our room, take a shower, sit on the spare bed and now even talk - good grief! In the morning we were told that the walls were soundproofed but the doors were thin.... Breakfast was average, nothing special - a limited range of cereals, sloppy breakfast and cold toast. I was questioned because I didn't eat all my breakfast. There was plenty of hot water and a good supply of towels. Toiletries were basic - bargain bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower wash and bubble bath. Nothing "special". The owners were friendly but clearly have their own way of doing things. For £50 a night I would have expected a better experience and was disappointed. I have stayed in lots of B+Bs all over the country and have never (1) been told to remove my shoes, (2) not been allowed a drink in the bedroom and (3) not been allowed to talk. It was an interesting experience which I am sure my friend and I will giggle about for many years but I certainly wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank Mary F
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

After our third visit and stay we are always impressed by the warm welcome and a very clean and well looked after house.
Will stay there anytime we are in the area and we are quite happy to remove our shoes and cannot believe people who do not like this aspect! perhaps there houses are full of dirt the shoes bring in!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Clive met us on arrival and could not have been more accommodating - a group of 6 cyclists , very tired after a long day, he made us feel at home straight away, made us all a cup of tea, and briefed us about the local amenities -

The rooms - pristine, immaculate, clean, tidy, call it what you want, you cannot fault it !

Breakfast - Fantastic - Linda was on hand to help us, take our orders, and have a good old chat about anything and everything !!!

Great stay -

Would definitely go back...!!

Room Tip: All the rooms we had (3) were fantastic !!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here last year and did not like being asked to remove our shoes. Having a white carpet in any home, let alone a B&B is just silly. We were paranoid about spilling anything on their precious carpet and felt very uncomfortable. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Jackii1971
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Visited this establishment a year ago and although the owners are very nice people and the breakfast cannot be criticised, like previous reviewers I could not believe that all guests had to remove their shoes when entering through the front door. Owners, perhaps not having white carpets would be a better option rather than getting shoes removed at the front door.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank adt52
Cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've stayed in hundreds of B & B's and hotels over the years but have never been asked to take my shoes off. It's strange that I don't actually mind doing that but somehow I do mind being asked to?

It must be over 20 years since I last stayed in a B & B without the necessary to make a cup of tea or coffee in your room. The owners here though don't wnat the carpets spoiled. Why choose cream as carpet colour then ?

Very strong smell of air freshener everywhere but especially bedrooms. Poached eggs well solid.

Lot's of guidance notes telling you how the owners like things done.

You MUST leave keys on a piece of paper on the kitchen worktop when you leave. Owner got reallyhuffy when I said I'd left mine in bedroom door. Asked me to go and get them after I'd tied my shoelaces and then went off in a huff when I just assured him the keys were definitely in the door.

The worst B & B I have ever stayed in by a wide margin.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Langstone Hotel
Langstone Hotel
#3 of 4 in Hayling Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,590 reviews
Premier Inn Portsmouth Havant South (Langstone/A27)
BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North
Hotel ibis budget Portsmouth

Been to Waratah Lodge? Share your experiences!