“Third stay recommended.”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hayling Island B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Third stay recommended.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

After our third visit and stay we are always impressed by the warm welcome and a very clean and well looked after house.
Will stay there anytime we are in the area and we are quite happy to remove our shoes and cannot believe people who do not like this aspect! perhaps there houses are full of dirt the shoes bring in!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Clive met us on arrival and could not have been more accommodating - a group of 6 cyclists , very tired after a long day, he made us feel at home straight away, made us all a cup of tea, and briefed us about the local amenities -

The rooms - pristine, immaculate, clean, tidy, call it what you want, you cannot fault it !

Breakfast - Fantastic - Linda was on hand to help us, take our orders, and have a good old chat about anything and everything !!!

Great stay -

Would definitely go back...!!

Room Tip: All the rooms we had (3) were fantastic !!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here last year and did not like being asked to remove our shoes. Having a white carpet in any home, let alone a B&B is just silly. We were paranoid about spilling anything on their precious carpet and felt very uncomfortable. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Jackii1971
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Visited this establishment a year ago and although the owners are very nice people and the breakfast cannot be criticised, like previous reviewers I could not believe that all guests had to remove their shoes when entering through the front door. Owners, perhaps not having white carpets would be a better option rather than getting shoes removed at the front door.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank adt52
Cornwall
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've stayed in hundreds of B & B's and hotels over the years but have never been asked to take my shoes off. It's strange that I don't actually mind doing that but somehow I do mind being asked to?

It must be over 20 years since I last stayed in a B & B without the necessary to make a cup of tea or coffee in your room. The owners here though don't wnat the carpets spoiled. Why choose cream as carpet colour then ?

Very strong smell of air freshener everywhere but especially bedrooms. Poached eggs well solid.

Lot's of guidance notes telling you how the owners like things done.

You MUST leave keys on a piece of paper on the kitchen worktop when you leave. Owner got reallyhuffy when I said I'd left mine in bedroom door. Asked me to go and get them after I'd tied my shoelaces and then went off in a huff when I just assured him the keys were definitely in the door.

The worst B & B I have ever stayed in by a wide margin.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank AnthonyCornwall
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I received a warm welcome when I arrived and the owners, Clive and Linda were extremely friendly and helpful to me and the other guests, serving tea/coffee on arrival and answering any questions. The house is very clean, tidy and comfortable. My room was finished to a high standard and well appointed. The room had cabled Internet access, a flat screen television with freeview channels, plenty of storage and a large comfortable bed. There was an ensuite bathroom/toilet and there were also clean towels and bathroom products, shower gel, shampoo, etc provided. Bottled water was provided.

I have to say that it felt slightly different to any other b&b I have stayed in. Most places give you the key to your room and very little else is said. The best way I can describe my stay is that you are politely encouraged to do things in a certain way when you are in shared areas of the house. From time to time you are guided with certain pieces of information that will enhance your experience, instead of being left to your own devices and letting it happen organically. I know that sounds a bit cryptic, but basically, I think the owners have been doing this for a long time and have a wealth of experience so they can often help you get the most out of your stay with them.

Tea and coffee is served throughout the day but you have to drink it in the dining room, no food or drink is allowed in your room. There is a choice of breakfast items, cereals, fruit juices, and cooked breakfast. The breakfast in the morning was very good.

Access to the house is via an electronic key fob that lets you in through the front door. There is a pub called The Yew Tree which is about 10-15 minutes walk away which is good place for an evening meal. There are also a couple of petrol stations close by which have shops attached. Hayling Island has a beach and amusements which are a short drive away.

All in all, I had a good stay here and I would recommend it if you are in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lonewayfarer
Manchester UK
Reviewed October 2, 2010

A very warm welcome from a very friendly host and an excellent room and breakfast. No drinks in your room but you can use the kitchen if you want to brew up. When you see the standard of the room and decor you'll understand why they don't want tea and coffee spilling everywhere.

From the moment I arrived I enjoyed my stay and I would recommend Waratah to everyone. Free internet too.

Five stars.

Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#4 of 4 in Havant

Been to Waratah Lodge? Share your experiences!