“No, no, no!”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hayling Island B&B and Inns
Windsor, United Kingdom
“No, no, no!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here last year and did not like being asked to remove our shoes. Having a white carpet in any home, let alone a B&B is just silly. We were paranoid about spilling anything on their precious carpet and felt very uncomfortable. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Jackii1971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Visited this establishment a year ago and although the owners are very nice people and the breakfast cannot be criticised, like previous reviewers I could not believe that all guests had to remove their shoes when entering through the front door. Owners, perhaps not having white carpets would be a better option rather than getting shoes removed at the front door.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank adt52
Cornwall
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've stayed in hundreds of B & B's and hotels over the years but have never been asked to take my shoes off. It's strange that I don't actually mind doing that but somehow I do mind being asked to?

It must be over 20 years since I last stayed in a B & B without the necessary to make a cup of tea or coffee in your room. The owners here though don't wnat the carpets spoiled. Why choose cream as carpet colour then ?

Very strong smell of air freshener everywhere but especially bedrooms. Poached eggs well solid.

Lot's of guidance notes telling you how the owners like things done.

You MUST leave keys on a piece of paper on the kitchen worktop when you leave. Owner got reallyhuffy when I said I'd left mine in bedroom door. Asked me to go and get them after I'd tied my shoelaces and then went off in a huff when I just assured him the keys were definitely in the door.

The worst B & B I have ever stayed in by a wide margin.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank AnthonyCornwall
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I received a warm welcome when I arrived and the owners, Clive and Linda were extremely friendly and helpful to me and the other guests, serving tea/coffee on arrival and answering any questions. The house is very clean, tidy and comfortable. My room was finished to a high standard and well appointed. The room had cabled Internet access, a flat screen television with freeview channels, plenty of storage and a large comfortable bed. There was an ensuite bathroom/toilet and there were also clean towels and bathroom products, shower gel, shampoo, etc provided. Bottled water was provided.

I have to say that it felt slightly different to any other b&b I have stayed in. Most places give you the key to your room and very little else is said. The best way I can describe my stay is that you are politely encouraged to do things in a certain way when you are in shared areas of the house. From time to time you are guided with certain pieces of information that will enhance your experience, instead of being left to your own devices and letting it happen organically. I know that sounds a bit cryptic, but basically, I think the owners have been doing this for a long time and have a wealth of experience so they can often help you get the most out of your stay with them.

Tea and coffee is served throughout the day but you have to drink it in the dining room, no food or drink is allowed in your room. There is a choice of breakfast items, cereals, fruit juices, and cooked breakfast. The breakfast in the morning was very good.

Access to the house is via an electronic key fob that lets you in through the front door. There is a pub called The Yew Tree which is about 10-15 minutes walk away which is good place for an evening meal. There are also a couple of petrol stations close by which have shops attached. Hayling Island has a beach and amusements which are a short drive away.

All in all, I had a good stay here and I would recommend it if you are in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lonewayfarer
Manchester UK
Reviewed October 2, 2010

A very warm welcome from a very friendly host and an excellent room and breakfast. No drinks in your room but you can use the kitchen if you want to brew up. When you see the standard of the room and decor you'll understand why they don't want tea and coffee spilling everywhere.

From the moment I arrived I enjoyed my stay and I would recommend Waratah to everyone. Free internet too.

Five stars.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Dean M
devon
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Made very welcome; food and rooms excellent although would have liked to known that wearing shoes indoors is not permitted due to white carpets in bedroom! No tea or coffee making facilites in room was a downside although we learned to late they were available all day/evening in the kitchen but had to be drunk there. Overall extremely comfortable although decor not to our liking and slightly over powering but hosts warmth was very genuine

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
W LONDON
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I would like to start this off by saying this is my first time at Hayling Island Id had a pretty hard the week before hand falling out with family so I was so looking forward to a night away from everything and everyone. The breakfast was great the host was abit put out because id made an appearance before my slotted time. A cup of coffee was all id origanally gone in there for had there of been a front room for me to of sat in with my cup of coffee id have gone there till my slotted breakfast time. I enjoyed my time there but the host needs to chill out more like breakfast times should be between 7.30-9.00 not like your going to miss someone being in the kitchen and work with the time they appear.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Havant
Crouchers Hotel
Crouchers Hotel
#2 of 8 in Chichester

Been to Waratah Lodge? Share your experiences!