“Wow What An Improvement”

Newtown House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
“Wow What An Improvement”
Reviewed January 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed here 3 years ago and after a miserable drive up, we were not looking forward to the two night stay but still checked in here because this is where my re-union dinner was to be held.
Unfortunately the first time we stayed it was pretty bad but this was an important reunion
and needs must.

On checking in we were pleasantly surprised to find the place looked and felt different.

You can see a lot of money has been spent on the hotel since our last visit and they have spent it very well including a brand new function hall on the site of the, now filled in; swimming pool.
The rooms are impeccable as is the restaurant.
Food has improved 100% and it is warm everywhere.
The bar was a pleasure to be in and prices good.
Parking is a dream now. A+

We will certainly recommend to all our friends.
My wife and I would like to thank Keith and all the duty staff for their kind help and wonderful service.

Very well done everyone. Money well spent and very well Managed.
Thank you.
D&H

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2009

Our refurbished room was finished to high standards, managing to combine the comfortable ambience of an historic building with all the modern facilities you might expect. The bathroom was superb: corner bath with shower, dual basins and modern fittings. We dined with friends and enjoyed an excellent meal for a surprisingly good price. The staff could not have been more helpful, washing a stained garment at short notice without charge and catering to our special breakfast requests. Among the best hotels for us during our extensive travels worldwide.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I last wrote a review on the Newtown House Hotel in 2006. Unfortunately, I had a terrible experience then and my review reflected that. When I had the opportunity to stay there once again, I thought about it very carefully and made the decision to give it a second chance mainly on the recent positive reviews given on TripAdvisor.
On this visit I travelled with my husband and young daughter (almost 2!). On arrival, there was plenty of room for parking and check in was efficient. We were allocated room 10 which was on the first floor in the main building. This was a family room with one double and two single beds. First impressions were good - I was pleasantly surprised with the refurbishment. The room was spacious and beautifully furnished. The bathroom had also been refurbished with a modern, clean look. There were lots of nice touches - plenty of toiletries, complimentary tea/coffee, water & biscuits, flat screen TV and access to the internet (chargeable). Most importantly both the bedroom and bathroom were extremely clean. There was also access to a large decking area which overlooked the main garden and function room - I can imagine that this would be a pleasant space to sit out on a warmer day.
We took predinner drinks in the bar - service was rather slow but fine. We then had an early dinner in the restaurant. Both service and the standard of food was good. The staff were very accomodating and flexible with our menu choices.
Unfortunately, our stay went downhill following dinner. The main problem was the noise and were unable to sleep. Firstly we could hear the live band playing in the function room - this I can understand as it was a Saturday night. However, what I couldn't accept was the noise coming from both rooms either side of ours. The bathroom in one of the other rooms was immediately behind our head board which meant we could hear other guests using the toilet etc...Even worse we could hear guests in No. 11 at it like rabbits which was completely unbearable!!
To summarise - there is no doubt that the refurbishment so far has made a huge improvement to the hotel. This is a lovely venue to host a function with lovely rooms for guests to stay. However, I don't feel the Newtown is appropriate for a relaxing/romantic break or for young families to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayling Island
Langstone Hotel
Langstone Hotel
#3 of 4 in Hayling Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,623 reviews
Premier Inn Portsmouth Havant South (Langstone/A27)
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
Brookfield Hotel
Brookfield Hotel
#1 of 4 in Emsworth
Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
Number Four Boutique Hotel
#2 of 38 in Portsmouth

Been to Newtown House Hotel? Share your experiences!