“Wedding day”

Newtown House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had our wedding at Newtown house 22nd dec 2013 .
It was the best day ever , Carol ( wedding planner)
Made sure that the day was just how we wanted it , had many meetings with us prior to our wedding and everything was fantastic ! We cannot thank her enough.
All of the staff were lovely from reception , to bar staff , to the lovely lady at breakfast the next day !
We could not have asked for a better venue!
Thank you to everyone at Newtown house hotel.
We will be back, to stay the night and visit everyone .
Lucy and Matt x

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Lucypage
keithb209, Owner at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Lucy and Matt, we are absolutely delighted that your Wedding Day was so special and that you were happy with the service you received. We hold many events in our function room and we always try our best to make sure that the clients have exactly what they want with every detail catered for. We would be thrilled to welcome you back again....your wedding made our Christmas time special too! Thank you.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Was invited out for a meal at the new Italian restraunt that has opened in the hotel. The food was the best Italian meal I have had in a long time. The recent refurbishments has been done to add to the character.I cannot agree with one of your recent reviews, I found the staff well trained and very attentive.Well done will return again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank johnpayne889

Dear Johnpayne889, thank you for your review. Its lovely to hear that you enjoyed your experience and meal at our new Italian Restaurant. Your comments regarding the service you received are very important to us. We hope we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed at the Newtown house on Saturday the 21st September and was assured by the reviews on trip advisor that it was good and when I arrived awards including trip advisors were on the front door and the hotel looked fine.

There was a wedding taking place at the venue and I was advised this was the 160 this year a popular venue indeed I had hoped for a afternoon nap following my long journey but with he young bridesmaids and other children running round the garden this was not achievable so We headed for the beach, on my return the wedding was in full swing at the hotel so i dressed and left for a birthday party at another venue.
We returned tired just after midnight to a noisy reception people shouting and taking in the garden outside my room I thought I would give it to 1 o'clock to finish and it did but the party residents then moved to the bar where they continued to party at 1.30 I went to the reception to complain but that was not manned so I went o the bar to find customers holding each other up I spoke to a bar man who said he had told them but they were not listening ( not surprised as most were paralytic ) but suggested they would clear the bar soon. At 2am the noise subsided and I finally got to sleep only to be woken at 7.30 am by a car alarm in the car park out side my door ( I would have parked there but in the words of the receptionist you could normaly park outside your room but not today as we have a wedding). In a tired state I headed for breakfast to find the buffet demolished however I ordered a full English breakfast which was excellent breakfast completed I went to pay and complained to the receptionist about the lack of sleep, she spoke to the duty manager who suggested she take off the price of breakfast ( the only good bit ) so having paid £70 for 5hrs sleep I left to drive home and stopped at fleet services and slept in the car before I could finish my journey

Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Geoff K
keithb209, Owner at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Geoff, thank you for taking the time to post a review (albeit 3 months after your stay with us). We can only apologise, once again, for your disturbed nights sleep. We are a busy little hotel which is very popular for weddings and functions. We try our best to accommodate non-function guests in the rooms furthest away from the bar/function room, however this is not always possible, so we advise on booking whether a function will be taking place during a guests stay.

However, on the very few occasions, if a guest does have reason to make a complaint, we always offer a gesture of good will, which during your stay with us was a complimentary full English breakfast. We are very pleased this was well received.

We have also reviewed our policy on bar serving after a function (which is only open to staying guests). The bar will subsequently be closed down at a reasonable time and guests requested to depart should the volume become disturbing to other guests.

We thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The building is beautiful, the car park is massive and free parking. The traditional pub bar serves food, you could proberbly get a meal and drink for about £15? We didn't eat here but went out to the barley mow pub 5min walk- roast for £5.

My friend had her wedding reception in the beautiful barn out the back. It was gorgeous and had its own bar, massive round tables and a dance area.

Breakfast was included with our stay, yummy full English.. I don't like bacon so let me have 2 sausages instead. Very accommodating. Nice fresh fruit too!

The room was a standard double, room 5. It was nice but the throw (blue one in hotel pic) was stained and was looking a bit old which is a shame as the bathroom is all new and the traditional style furniture is in excellent condition.

Nice plasma tv on wall and I had a lovely bubble bath :)

Would recommend for an easy romantic getaway for local couple and for wedding receptions ect

• Stayed: September 2013
keithb209, Owner at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear "Emma p", thank you for your review of your stay at the Newtown House Hotel. We are delighted you rated us highly and your comments of the wedding function room experience for your friends wedding is very pleasing.

Regarding the throw in the bedroom, this has been noted and will be dealt with immediately by our housekeeping staff.

We do hope we will have the chance to welcome you again at the hotel either as an overnight guest or to perhaps try out our brand new Italian Restaurant on site ... Il Giardino. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here with a group of 22 people for 5 days
A lot of money has been spent on refurbishments recently, the appearance and feel of the place is good, however the staff are generally woefully badly trained and were unable to provide a 'joined up' service.
The breakfasts are excellent and the evening menu is OK, but be prepared to wait and wait if they are busy.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block facing the enclosed garden are pleasant
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear "brettington-14", thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted that you rated us with 4&5 stars for value, location, sleep quality, rooms and cleanliness. With regards to your comments on service and our staff, we are left a little confused as another member of your party commented that our staff were very friendly.

We always take constructive criticism seriously and we will endeavour to ensure we work on offering a more "joined up" service in the future.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We arranged a camera club holiday September 2013 staying at The Newtown House Hotel.
The hotel itself is ok and the staff very friendly.....But when 22 people tried to eat in the restaurant, unfortunately the kitchen just could not cope. The first person didn't receive their food for an hour and the last person was served after a two hour wait....for sausage and mash..!!!
Most of the food was just about ok while several meals were returned as inedible.
The limited menu stayed the same all week....
Stay here if you must but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear "David W", thank you for taking the time to post a review. We were delighted you chose our hotel for your camera club gathering and hence we made available our function room free of charge for the duration of your stay so that you had some privacy for your 22 strong party.

We are sorry you felt the service at dinner was not up to standard, however, you chose to omit in your review that you were advised to inform us if you wished to seat all 22 of your party in the restaurant at one seating. It was recommended to you to pre order for that number of people. You chose not to pre order. Our kitchen staff did their best for you under the circumstances.

We are very pleased you rated us as a "nice hotel" with "very friendly staff". Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Needed one night so dropped in to see what was on offer. Lovely old Hotel nice receptionist did a deal £75 b&b not £90. Nice room (Annex) but strange Browser listing what you would get charged if you nicked a whole range of items from the room including a hair dryer at £25 (I'll mention that again later) - perhaps they have dodgy guests. Hardly very inviting. So to dinner!! Here things took a sharp dive - soup was ok but chicken with a cheese topping in a tomato sauce was frankly bland and tasteless. Chicken was probably defrosted a few minutes before the 'topping was applied. Fried potato pieces and microwave vegetables completed the whole dire meal. Hoping for better at breakfast I retired for the night. Poor water pressure in the shower and no sign of the hair drier - discovered when I checked-out that hair driers are kept behind reception but nothing in the room tell you this. Anyway breakfast. Self service toast but the toaster only had an element on one side so you can't do toast on both sides in one go - very poor. Luke-warm tea - very overcooked fried egg - tough sausage - overcooked bacon - under cooked tomato - overcooked mushrooms - over microwaved beans (or were they yesterday's) and the whole thing swimming in oil. You can eat better up the road at the Crown Carvery and at a fraction of the cost which was £97 in total. Would I go back - well you can work that out for yourself.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4 mi away
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#4 of 4 in Havant

Been to Newtown House Hotel? Share your experiences!