“Top Hotel -THANK YOU!”

Newtown House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hayling Island
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My partner and I have stayed at this hotel as well as many others as we travel quite a lot. We found the service from staff, cleanliness of rooms, breakfast outstanding value. In fact it's a pleasure visiting and feel that excellent feedback is well deserved.

On each occasion our room has been spotlessly clean, the management and staff have been courteous, helpful, polite and welcoming. Food has been great especially breakfast!
We have also attended a family member's wedding at the Newtown House and was really impressed with the service and quality. Would highly recommend them.

Well done Keith....you've got brilliant staff who you should be proud of, especially Carol and Max. Looking forward to seeing you guys on New Years Eve as usual!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
keithb209, General Manager at Newtown House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

I am delighted and extremely pleased for my team to receive such favourable comments.
We are committed to providing an excellent service where our Guests feel special.
I look forward to seeing you again on New Years Eve. Thank you.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I never normally leave feedback, but after having such a wonderful stay at the Newtown House Hotel, I wanted to share my experience here. I stayed for a friend's wedding, and from the second I arrived till I left, I was made to feel very welcome. The room was wonderful - spacious, well decorated, spotless, with everything I needed. The food was great, and the service at all times was brilliant. The wedding itself went superbly, and it was a pleasure to be able to share in my friends' happy day at such a lovely venue. I'll certainly be staying again, and would recommend to anyone looking for a gorgeous place to have their wedding.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

It was a pleasure to read your positive comments regarding your stay after your friends Wedding. My team are committed to excellent service where nothing is too much trouble.
I sincerely hope you return.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Newton House Hotel. Came up to expectations in every way - room quality, cleanliness, friendly service and good food. Convenient location for sea front or travel to the mainland.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind and welcomed feedback regarding your stay. I am delighted and will pass on your comments to my team. Thank you.

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as 2 families for this year's great south run. New management 2 days in and finding their feet. Our friends room had no heating or hot water. Had to endure for 1 night of 2 night stay. Dinner on first night was chaos with us and our young children waiting for 1 hour 15 mins for starters to arrive. Food was ok and reasonable value when it did arrive. Staff did not know what they were doing. To be fair when I complained about friends room and chaotic dinner experience the hotel manager offered 2 nights room for them free of charge and moved them to a nicer warmer room on the second night. Breakfast on final day was classic. Chef didn't turn up so waitresses had to cook and serve! If it hadn't been for the chaos this would be a nice hotel and I'm sure it will improve as staff are given direction by the new manager. Good luck to them.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I remember the evening very well as I was involved directly. As you have said, this was my 2nd day as the new General Manager. I aim to please all my Guests and I am determined to raise the bar for complete Guest satisfaction.
Your feedback was welcomed, I sincerely hope my compensation was received well and I hope you return.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having a quiet drink with friends when one of the barmen( off duty) sat at the bar beside some customers.There were two or three children in the bar area but this barman was heard to swear.Not called for and we wont go again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ducktanion

Thank you for your comment regarding a member of my staff. I have investigated the incident and I have taken the necessary steps to ensure this behaviour does not happen again.
My sincere apologies.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

First impressions of the hotel were great; clean rooms with friendly reception. However, this was soon to change. Room no 16 is located next to the pub garden. Therefore, all smokers congregate close to the room. From 11:00 to 2:00, I had the pleasure to inhale the plumes of smoke drifting into room, and was also subjected to increasingly noisy drunk people! The single glaze windows done nothing to reduce the noise!

Once the pub had closed I thought I'd finally get some sleep. I then discovered that the rooms have very poor sound proofing I had to endure listening to a drunk couple having sex, then followed by drunken snoaring!!

I complained to manager, and was virtually accused of making up the story!! I asked if I could be moved, and was then questioned whether there were other people in the room. He was insinuating that I wanted to blag a free room for friends. I was utterly insulted and couldn't wait to leave the hotel.

Such a shame as I visited the area to partake in the great south run. This experience really tainted the whole weekend as completed the run feeling v tired and angry.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Mark0123497

I am very concerned with your comments regarding your recent stay. I have investigated the issues raised with the duty manager and everything was done at 3.00am in the morning to re-locate you to another suitable room. We endeavour at all times to please our Guests and I apologise if our rectificaion offer was taken in the wrong vein.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

As you can all see from my other reviews on trip advisor I am a very fair reviewer and it takes a lot for me to be convinced to write a poor review.
We attended a wedding on the 15th June at the Newtown on Hayling Island, Portsmouth as part of the wedding party.
Both my husband and I were part of the wedding party, bridesmaid and best man.
When we arrived at the hotel, we stepped out of the cars and into the hotel and immeditely were told they had lost the table plans & could we please advise before the ceromony. What kind of place loses a Bride and Grooms table plan and leaves it this late to enquire?
We then had the ceromony which was beautiful, but then there were a few issues with the exit music and it was very much delayed leaving an awkward pause.
We then went out to the gardens, which are very pretty, for some photographs & drinks:
1. The hotel staff kept approaching the bridesmaid (me) & asking silly questions, such as who is having what food (like I had that list down the front of my dress) I can only presume they lost this as well.
2. The hotel staff kept asking the bride about what people had ordered, the one did not know what the other was doing. One was asking me, and the other was asking the bride.
3. They run out of welcome drinks and the best man and I had to ask for some more which was met with resistance & they took a long time to bring these out.
4. They were very late with the food, approaching nearly two hours late.
5. There were a few people with food intolerences, these were confirmed when they approached me during the photographs, these were not catered for. This left my Mum very unwell as she has a gluten intolerance, the other a dairy intolerance and myself no cream. I was on the wedding table and I had no food for a while even then it was not what I ordered. (my meal was a complete meal whereas the others were left incomplete. I know for a fact this was ordered by the bride & groom as they know me so well, being my brother in law & best friend they knew my intolerance & the hotel even asked during the photographs - no excuse.
6. The bride had to initiate the other tables to get their food, there was no organisation with this. The staff were mostly absent.
7. Oh they lost the table decorations, surely they were leaving it a bit late to set the tables up. They did find them eventually.
8. They did not cater for enough food & there were tables with not enough to eat. The chef was heard saying, when staff were stating we were not happy, "I really don't give a s**t
9. The bride & groom paid for several options for food only one option was actually put out.
10. We then moved all our bags from the car, we then asked that the brides bag be taken to the bridal suite. I actually handed the bag to a staff member only to find the next morning the bag had been returned to my room. not impressed.
11. The bridal suite was not decorated it was a nice room but no flowers or anything had been put in. No decorations of any kind.
12. When we went down to breakfast the next morning, we were told that the only options available was a full English breakfast, the only thing we could change was whether we wanted black pudding or not. So I am assuming that the food was not cooked to order or fresh. My husband dislikes beans and I eggs so we asked if these could be ommitted on our plates. The response was "ooh I will have to check with the chef to see if this was possible". Surely the breakfasts are not already pre plated? The food turned up lukewarm.
13. If you are a vegetarian then basically you are stuffed, especially that morning. Staff member was heard calling a guest a "silly ... (trip advisor won't let me write in full)" because she asked for eggs on toast. Their excuse for the lack of breakfast standards was that they had two more weddings that day. Surely these were booked in and staff should have been increased.
14. We should have had extended check out times which were pre arranged with the hotel. When we finished breakfast I was not allowed to go through the bar area to return to my room and I was made to walk around the whole hotel to get to my room. This was because they were preparing for another wedding. Shocking.
15. When we went to check out we paid our money, funnily enough they were organised and took my money quick enough. When asked was everything ok I stated not really,she cut me off and said we would discuss this later. This was because they had two potential wedding enquires in the reception area. She stated she would phone me, she never did.
16. The lack of communication with this hotel is appalling. The "wedding planner" & I state this loosely, was disorganised.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank hayleysn202

I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the wedding you attended on June 15th. All feedback is welcomed and I will address all the issues raised.
My sincere apologies.

Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Crouchers Hotel
Crouchers Hotel
#2 of 8 in Chichester

Been to Newtown House Hotel? Share your experiences!