“poor food shame could do better”
Review of The Moorhen

The Moorhen
Ranked #95 of 145 Restaurants in Harlow
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013

visited on a Wednesday eve not very busy but food poor. service ok helpful and considerate could be so much better shame as nice surroundings.
seems that the art of cooking easy food just became a chore.

There are newer reviews for The Moorhen

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Moorhen located next to the river in a perfect setting is about the only positive thing i can say about this place.
The service was slow and as for the food it was cheap and not very cheerful. The food seemed pre-cooked and then microwaved and It was so disgusting that i don't want to comment any further as i don't want to be reminded of one of the worst meals that iv'e ever had.
I wish a had checked this place out before going as i definately won't be going back !!

1  Thank waller50
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been here several times, and I actually don't know why I go back.

The last time I was here was for a meal with myself, my husband and our 6 month old baby. We ate around 6.30pm. My husband had his starter bought to the table but i was left waiting 20 minutes before mine arrived. Along with my starter was my husbands dinner and my own dinner. I sent my starter back as i didnt want it by then. The food I ate can only be described as pre-cooked, microwaved rubbish!! Disgusting food, wouldnt even give the leftovers of it to a dog. It was cold, stale, hard meat. Just awful.
During dinner my husband went up to the bar to order more drinks, only to returned 10 minutes later empty handed. The bar staff were stood chatting to their friends who were in there drinking and failed to serve my husband or even notice he was stood waiting, he wasnt the only one at the bar at the time either.
We complained about the food and was given a discount which we thanked them for as we felt it was needed, and to show our appreciation for them noticing our unhappiness.

While we were eating friends of ours arrived and were sat in the bar area having drinks, they asked us to join them for a drink afterwards so we did. It was 8.30pm. We were approached and asked to leave the premises as children arent aloud in the bar after 9pm. We said this was fine and would finish our drinks and leave as we still had time. But no, this was not accepted. We were told to leave immediately. After asking why and explaining that our sleeping 6 month old wouldnt be causing any trouble we were told "the manager said he don't want kids in here" - nice!!!!

Truely awful place since being taken over as a Hungry Horse pub. Bad service, bad food, bad everything

2  Thank LauraMillerB
Reviewed November 11, 2012

To celebrate me 17th birthday, myself and 11 other 16 and 17 year old girls decided to eat at the Hungry Horse, Harlow, as a celebration meal. Inexpensive food, family environment and a well-known resturant. After phoning in weeks in advance and asking to book a table and that not being applicable, we turned up a hour early and had to move numerous tables/chairs around. Luckily 2 young workers helped with due to mutual relationship. I went to order myself a drink, was served by a man and that was fine, then when my friends went they told them that they could not serve them FOOD OR DRINK without a 18 year old there even though they was not ordering alcohol ... Luckily, a 18 year old was dropping by to see me on my birthday and offered to be there so we could order, if not I don't know what we would of done seeing as it was around 8 at night, pitch black, out of town/public area and on a saturday night. As you can probably see, this stressed and ruined the whole situation and knocked the enjoyment of my birthday celebrations out of the window. I recommend that eating there with large/medium group sizes, young crowds and at night is NOT a good idea and I WILL NOT be returning for a long time.

2  Thank blue1311
Reviewed October 17, 2012

i dared to complain about one of your staff and instead of an apology you insult me by writing to tell me that my family are not to come back to your pub in the future , how arrogant of you just look at the cctv it speaks for its self , yes you have a lovely pub in beautiful settings good food at reasonable price but BEWARE if you dare to complain you will be treated as we have. DOMINIC site manager , you took a dislike to my son all our family witnessed what you did but its our word against yours and you think that you can insult us ,well maybe you can but we have freedom of speech and speak out i will !!!!

5  Thank kaybarker