Green Man Hotel
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
The Cock Inn(Sheering)
Great 4.5/5
Down Hall Hotel & Spa(Hatfield Heath)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsthe pubmodern blockseparate blockolde worldfish and chipsmain buildingcooked breakfastfull englishstayed here for nightsnight's sleepplenty of parkingexcellent value for moneycomfortable roomsaturday nightstansted airportgood nights sleepharlow town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night for work on 5th November. The pub looks lovely from the outside, and is in a lovely quiet area. There is absolutely nothing nearby, so if you're looking for a quiet place to stay, this is it!
The food in the restaurant is good pub grub, nothing particularly exciting, and there were quite a few items missing from the menu, but for a quiet week night, it was no big problem to me, I got prompt friendly service and the food was a good standard - one of the really friendly staff was just as polite and friendly the next morning during breakfast service, couldn't believe she had done both shifts and kept a smile on here face! Breakfast again was good pub grub! Nothing too greasy and quickly served again (although my eggs came with added shell, bleugh).
These are the good points about the Green Man.
Unfortunately the hotel is awful! The outbuilding is like an abandoned old peoples home, althought the daddy-longlegs seem to like it. My room was on the second floor, but sadly every single spring seem to have been removed from the mattress. Also didnt help that I only had waifer thing pillows to sleep on. The bathroom was a bit of a disaster also unfortunately with knobs falling off the taps in the shower.
This was by no means the worst place I've ever slept in my life, but they can really never rate more than 3 without paying attention to detail

Room Tip: Pay slightly more and stay in Down Hall Country Manor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nelgeinwod
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed there for the weekend of the 'big storm’. I found it good. The room was okay, even though I had the window open during the night of the storm I still slept through it. I have stayed here a few times and it is a good location in the Harlow area with a car or without a car. It is near the train station and bus stops. The food okay, the staff was nice and friendly. One thing I was pleased with, I forgot to close the window of my car one night and the manager came to my room to tell me about it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Had to come back due to business and was pleased as most rooms have been updated. Lighting is still minimal, and bedding is poor, but the room at least seemed cleaner. No screens on windows and no AC. For those that have compared it to a Premier Inn - I don't see it - Premier seems much cleaner and brighter albeit just as sparse.

Staff is pleasant, but pub and restaurant are hit or miss. One evening I came for dinner after spending the day in London. I ordered my pint, but was then told the kitchen was closed. Asked if it would reopen - was told wasn't sure. After another pint and about an hour wait I went back to my room and had a granola bar.

Full breakfast is OK, but continental has much to be desired. A couple of breads and bowl of fruit in syrup, some yogurt and your about done.

Not terrible but continue to look for better local options.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We found the room was very dark with little addition light from window or lighting.bed was comfortable and bathroom clean.Furniture was dated. Quiet during the evening. Dangerous exit to the rear due to wet ramp being slippery. Key given to this exit to use from car park.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A group of 8 of us stayed here for 3 nights for a family re-union, we choose the area on the internet because of its location, close to airport and family members. And boy we hit the jackpot, from the moment we arrived. check in was so easy staff so helpful and friendly, rooms lovely we were on the ground and 2nd floor. We ate in the hotel all the time we were there. Food was beautiful. Staff in the dining room and throughout the hotel are outstanding. The manager himself is a gentleman. Could not praise the hotel enough. Thank you all so much for your kindness, thoughtfulness and friendliness to all of us. Will definitly be back to this little piece of heaven

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family