“Clean and standard. Car park beware!”

Holiday Inn Express Harlow
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
“Clean and standard. Car park beware!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Newly refurbished or built? Probably helps as generally I hate multi chain cheap thrill hotels, however I was surprised by this hotel. Clean and tidy. Staff pretty good and polite. Rooms were well presented. The LED lighting in the bathroom is a little dim, maybe they can invest in some higher powered LED's?
The big let down in this hotel is the ridiculous parking!
Upon entering there was nowhere to park, we had to call the hotel for the exit code, parked next door and paid a fiver to NCP to which the ticket runs out at 23:59 hours, we checked in at hotel only to be told they have a deal for £3 for 24hrs! Why couldn't he told us that on the phone when we called for the exit code! Apart from that, lives up to the minimum standard you'd expect.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Si A
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your positive feedback. With regards to the car park next door, please note we are currently working on the signage to make it more clear.
Viktorija Stanciukaite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Swansea
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night, booked 4 rooms and all were close together. Check in was fast and the staff friendly. Rooms modern and clean and the shower was lovely. Bed very comfortable. Location was great, close to retail park with shops and restaurants. The only reason I haven't given 5 out of 5 overall is because the sofa bed that my children slept on was very small and uncomfortable, the mattress was thin and lumpy and they had to sleep on top of the duvet. Fine for an overnight stay but no longer than that! Free breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2013
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are grateful for your feedback an will pass your comments about sofa beds to our head office.
Meanwhile, I hope you will stay with us again.
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The HIE is an acceptable / adequate / functional chain hotel situated in central Harlow, which is enough for most people who are visiting this crushingly uninspiring town for shopping, business or friends etc. Don't come here for romance or culture unless you are pathologically dedicated to irony.
On arrival, we encountered the biggest problem the hotel has - its limited parking. There are about 17 places; there are 122 rooms. Guests who had arrived earlier had parked anywhere and everywhere, including the disabled bays. We had to get the gate code to escape and parked elsewhere. Apparently there is an arrangement with the car park behind, but we weren't told of this at the time we got the gate code.
Check-in was functional, although I got the impression that the receptionist had been on the receiving end of a hard day. The room was everything you would expect of HIE, clean, comfortable, functional bathroom. It was also quiet, so maybe sound proofing has been used. The view was Harlow job centre, which I really must recommend to the designer of the wi-fi logging on system which I gave up on. The bathroom was a bit on the dark side.
Breakfast was very busy, staff coped perfectly well. Usual HIE fare, so unremarkable.
It's good enough, unless you really need to park there.

Room Tip: Be very aware, you may not be able to park in the hotel car park.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stuart462
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am sorry to hear you experienced our parking issue. Please note we always do our best to make sure guests are aware of parking arrangements on all booking sites. I will make sure all sites have been reviewed. We are working on signage in multi-storey car park at the moment, to hopefully next time you will stay with us, you will notice the difference.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Harlow on Wednesday 9th October 2013. I checked in at approximately 12am and out again at 7:30am. During this time, I left a make up bag in the room containing important medication and contents exceeding £300.

On reaching my next hotel and realising my bag was missing, I contacted the hotel to log my lost property. The lady on front desk said that nothing had been reported, but would check with the housekeeping manager and get back to me the following morning. I didn't receive a call back, so I rang again to be told the same, the housekeeping manager hadn't had anything handed in but would check with the housekeeping staff and once again, get back to me.

On not receiving a call back for a second time, I phoned the hotel again and spoke to a particularly rude member of staff who told me that she didn't know what I was talking about and could do nothing to help. This obviously meant that my lost property issue hadn't been logged or was being taken particularly seriously.

Short of accuse anyone of lying, or inform the police there was nothing I could do. I know for certain the bag was in that room, and was obviously too tempting for housekeeping staff to resist. I hope whoever is now the proud owner of my personal property is now enjoying it.

I really think that security procedures at the Holiday Inn Express Harlow should be addressed, as judging by the lack of lost property reporting system, it's clearly too easy for hotel staff to steal their guests belongings following checkout, if you are unfortunate enough to display the human error of leaving something in your room.

Whilst they might pride themselves on low cost, expect poor communication and an unscrupulous manner as well. I would have expected much more from a worldwide chain. I certainly won't be using Holiday Inn Express again, and will warn others not to do so based on my experience.

I have submitted a similar review via Holiday Inn as well, which is currently being 'processed'. I should imagine that this won't be published due to it's honest nature and potential damage to their reputation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ms. Green,

Thank you for your feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow.
I am sorry to tell you, that we were not able to find it. We, as a team did our best to find it, however no luck.
I spoke with you on the 10th October in the evening, promising to call you back around 8am the following morning, which i was about to do, but you called first at 8:15 am, claiming no one called you back. I have explained to you earlier, that I have questioned all staff members about your lost make up bag, however no one was able to find it. Our housekeeping team has been working with us since the hotel opening and we have never has any issues in the past and we have had quite few really valuable items left in the hotel, but safely returned to their owners. All staff members are reliable and hard working employees.
I do understand how frustrating and upsetting this whole situation is for you and I have suggested to call police and start full investigation about it. I am more than happy to help you as long as this issue is sorted. I would never tolerate anything like it, especially since we are the newest hotel is the area and it does not help us at all. You had 3 rooms booked, so maybe it got mixed up with other belongings?
Please feel free to get in touch with me, should you wish to discuss this matter further.
Viktorija Stanciukaite

Travelers are raving about these Harlow hotels

Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed 1 night, which was too many. Too bad the hotel itself is actually quite attractive inside. Drove into parking lot only to find it was full since there would only be room for about 12 cars. Couldn't get out of lot, the gate had come down behind us. We could only get out with secret code. This kind of stuff can really bug you when you've been on road all day. We got to the room & wanted to wash up. Sink was plugged, we called desk & a young man came & plunged sink. Went to lobby for supper which was quite good but spent most of time watching old men coming into hotel with attractive much younger women, I don't think they were related. In morning my husband had shower which caused sink & shower in bathroom to back up. Water in shower was right up to the door. I could have waited & got someone up to fix the shower but didn't know if it would happen again & really didn't have time to fool around. No shower for me. This room was only 50 pounds but I still want things to work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Our hotel provide limited car park and we do have an agreement with multi-storey car park next door. Please note, barrier stops people who are not staying in our hotel parking their cars in our car park. I am also sorry to find out, that your shower was blocked. We would have got it fixed it for you. We are always grateful for your feedback and should you wish to discuss your recent stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by email gm@express-harlow.com or phone 01279 624 380.
Ilford
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with my wife and two kids. The room was clean and spacious enough. The decor was nice too. The room had that brand new feel to it. The linen was bright and colourful. The bathroom was unusually big. Rather than have a tub in there there was a massive modern shower with nice silver trimmings here and there. There was a sofa bed where my son slept and my daughter slept in a travel cot that they provided.

My only qualm about this place is the limited parking spaces. Initially went into the hotel's car park and had to be redirected to the adjacent multi storey car park next door. We later realised we had to pay an additional ��3 for parking when those who parked in the hotel car park did'nt have to pay anything! Plus walking all the way from the car park with heavy luggage was'nt very encouraging

All in all it was a good stay.

R.R. Chawota

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the car park, we do provide limited car park for our hotel guests and alternative multi-storey car park next door. I will make sure team is more confident when it comes to directing hotel guests to the multi storey car park and providing information about the payment. Meanwhile I hope I will see you staying with us again.
Sincerely yours,
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The good thing about this place was, first, it was quite new, so everything worked and felt comfortable, as opposed to tired and worn at the edges, second, the room was comfortable with a good toilet/shower room, and third, staff helpful.

Ralph

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

thank you for your time leaving a positive feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We hope will see you staying in our hotel soon!
Viktorija Stanciukaite
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harlow? Share your experiences!