“Holiday Inn, Harlow”

Holiday Inn Express Harlow
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Harlow
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The good thing about this place was, first, it was quite new, so everything worked and felt comfortable, as opposed to tired and worn at the edges, second, the room was comfortable with a good toilet/shower room, and third, staff helpful.

Ralph

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
HIEXHARLOW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your time leaving a positive feedback about Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We hope will see you staying in our hotel soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night in June 2013 - nice new hotel, clean rooms, comfy beds, but in a really noisy area - which probably isn't a problem in cooler weather when you don't need the windows open.

It's very good value for what it is and breakfasts were included free of charge, which was a nice touch.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow.
We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay. For future stays, please make sure you inform reception team about any noise coming from outside and team will be happy to do their best. I hope will see you staying with us again.
Sincerely yours,

Reviewed September 29, 2013

stayed here on Friday at short notice having been stuck on M1 for several hours in traffic jam - too tired to go to Heathrow where we had paid for room. We were so very tired and staff were great. rooms clean and beds comfortable. breakfast good and plenty of fruit , free paper welcome.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am grateful for your feedback and hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Second stay here speaks for itself.
Great location for all the shops right in the center of town. Excellent bedroom love the shower.Modern hotel. Breakfast really good. Didn't have evening meal can't comment. Definitely worth a stay. We will return.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We always do our best when it comes to quality of service and product. We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Really could not fault our stay here stayed for two nights, staff friendly& welcoming room was lovely & clean and well equipped for our needs, bathroom was lovely, was a bit worried after reading the reviews on breakfast but we had absolutely no complaints about it at all and was very satisfactory for been included in the price I have paid for worse!
No problems with the wifi either, only downside if I have to be picky is the limited parking but that never disrupted our stay at all, looking forward to returning here next weekend. Thank you for a pleasant enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the car park, I am sure you are aware of alternative car park next door. We hope will see you staying with us again.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Friendly staff, clean rooms, nice bathroom but lighting fairly dim which isn't great if trying to apply make up. Sofa bed okay for kids. Limited parking but another car park directly behind and when booked with reception only £3 per night so reasonable. Breakfast was adequate but don't expect anything too amazing. Steered clear of the hot food as didn't look very appetising but enough to keep the hunger at bay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Harlow. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay. With regards to the breakfast, please note, our team is doing their best in making sure breakfast look presentable and we do replace them every half and hour.
However, we hope you will stay with us again.
General manager

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just spent a night in this hotel so here is the good the bad and the ugly.
Always try and start with a positive. This is a lovely shiny new hotel,spotlessly clean and has excellent front of house staff.
The rooms are very clean and spacious, I think (wait for the story). Had booked a twin room for myself and a friend for an overnight stay as we were off to a show at the Playhouse Theatre. Room was booked and confirmed as a twin some time ago.
Check in was swift and professional. Got our key and off to the room. When we got there it was a room with double bed and almost the entire rest of room was taken up with a double sofa bed,which I assume was our 'twin'. There was little space left to maneuver around what would have been a nice sized room if it had been the twin I booked.It was impossible to sit at the desk area as chair could not be pulled out and I had to climb over the sofa bed to close window/curtains! I took a brief look at sofa bed and realised whoever had made it up obviously had trouble fitting round it as it wasn't really made as such,a flat sheet straight onto a thin mattress,no protector or cover of any kind and I had to strip it and remake it to the best of my ability. As this wasn't really how I wanted to spend my evening we decided to get ready for our evening out and worry about the sleeping arrangements later.
On to the lighting,what's the deal there? I'm all for energy saving and one of my favourite pastimes at home is going round switching lights off! However we actually could not see to slap a bit of makeup on as the lighting was so dim. The bathroom in particular was worst.
On returning to the hotel much later I realised the true horror of the sofa bed. Bearing in mind i'd had a couple of drinks I think I would have to be completely sozzled to have slept a wink on that sofa.The springs were awful whatever way you laid on it they stuck into you whatever part of the mattress you came into contact with. That coupled with the noise if you dared to move(sounded and felt like I was lying in a bag of nails) led to me having what I can only say was the worst ever nights sleep I've ever had in a hotel.I ended up laying the duvet on top of the mattress as a barrier from the springs,not that it helped much and sleeping with my coat over me.
The breakfast was Ok and yes I know it's technically free but still no excuse for having to wait for cutlery whilst your hot food got cold or even to stir your coffee with.
Cold selection was good,hot adequate,when 1 of 3 hot items on offer ran out at 10.15 it wasn't replenished so guess lesson is to be earlier.
On check out the nice young man asked how was our stay and I did politely tell him about the bed issue and I said it was my opinion we had been given a family room as the sofa bed was really only suitable for young children as maybe they have a higher pain threshold than us 'mature ladies'. He was very polite, checked our booking and said he could see no reason why our booked room had been changed and to be honest neither can I!

In conclusion if 4 stars on here meant good you would have got it,but I can't go with very good as it just wasn't.However I would have given your front of house staff on all occasions we encountered them excellent as they really do not let you down.
Also it is entirely unacceptable when booking a paying for a room for two people that one of them is expected to sleep on a sofa bed.
I have left my email address at the hotel for the manager to address my comments and completed the customer feedback form so if I get any feedback I will update my review on here accordingly. Let's hope the manager is as polite as their staff!

Room Tip: If you get to your room and it contains a sofa bed for any adult to sleep on refuse it or run for th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tinkerbell1412
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harlow, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear tinkerbell1412,

We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our goal is to make sure everyone enjoys their experience at our facility. I have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort with the sofa bed and room accommoations during your stay and would like to extend my most sincere apologies for this. We have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and recommendation.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlow
Travelodge Harlow Hotel
#1 of 1 in High Wych
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harlow? Share your experiences!